Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Requesting Seats on Virgin Flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2013, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Requesting Seats on Virgin Flights

I have been running into some problems in regards to seat requests on Virgin Australia flights.

I have several bookings made through the Air NZ website that are operated by Virgin flights and I have tried calling Virgin to request premium seating, (As I am GE) even though Virgin picks up my status as Partner Platinum they will only give me row 7.

Does anyone know why Virgin does this or if there is away around it so I can pre request premium seating (rows 3 or 4)?

Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2013, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
What did they say when you called them as to why your status is incorrectly showing?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
What did they say when you called them as to why your status is incorrectly showing?
They tell me that only rows 7 onwards are available and even when trying to explain my situation they continue to tell me that they can't request me seats from rows 1-7 as they are blocked? It's also very difficult to understand what they are saying because I don't think the call centre is in NZ or Australia.

Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 21, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know on Virgin Atlantic there are seat alocations that are blocked and only open up at certain times, such as OLCI.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Seems strange - generally VA permit their Golds access from Row 7 back, but Platinum can select from row 3 (front).

(I can't help from experience these days as I no longer credit anything to Airpoints - book as a VA Platinum.)
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
I am a humble Koru member.

I wish to book NZ7939 AKL-MEL which is operated by Virgin.

The online booking engine says no seat selection is possible.

Is there anyway after booking that I can select a seat? Ring Virgin perhaps?

Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
I am a humble Koru member.

I wish to book NZ7939 AKL-MEL which is operated by Virgin.

The online booking engine says no seat selection is possible.

Is there anyway after booking that I can select a seat? Ring Virgin perhaps?

Thanks.

I have done this over the past year, just call AirNZ and ask to speak with the premium team (if the call wasn't automatically redirected), and they should be able to put a request in for you. After a day or 2, a seat number should be shown against your booking.

Having flown to BNE, MEL & OOL while being just a Koru member, always managed to get Row 6 aisle, and on 2 occations get Row 3 at check-in, just by asking nicely to the ticketing agent
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by Kamadan
I have done this over the past year, just call AirNZ and ask to speak with the premium team (if the call wasn't automatically redirected), and they should be able to put a request in for you. After a day or 2, a seat number should be shown against your booking.

Having flown to BNE, MEL & OOL while being just a Koru member, always managed to get Row 6 aisle, and on 2 occations get Row 3 at check-in, just by asking nicely to the ticketing agent
Just booked a flight AKL/MEL/HBA, with the MEL/HBA segment on VA. The Air NZ premium team were able to request seats, but seats in row 15 were allocated, so they suggested I call VA direct. When speaking to them, that is the furthest forward they could seat me. So I hope that at check-in we'll be able to get better seats.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by Trumpkin
Just booked a flight AKL/MEL/HBA, with the MEL/HBA segment on VA. The Air NZ premium team were able to request seats, but seats in row 15 were allocated, so they suggested I call VA direct. When speaking to them, that is the furthest forward they could seat me. So I hope that at check-in we'll be able to get better seats.
I just get the VA PNR from NZ for these flights and call VA directly to select a seat. I usually find there is some problem one way or another. For example my last VA flight that was NZ ticketed: called VA and had a seat allocated and this showed up in my Air NZ app. Then on the day at check-in I was seated in row 30 (it had been switched at some point but this didn't reflect in the app) and they had no record of my status despite the call centre confirming they could see it, but were able to give me something in row 5 at check-in.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
I have flown the virgin business a few times this year.

When booked through the air nz website. No seat selection.

When booking an internal Australian flight, I can select a seat online.

Only problem has been that every flight took months to credit status points. Three enquiries each time also....

(Flip side is, that the Virgin Business offering between Queenstown and Australia is so much better than the Air NZ product).
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:08 am

I feel that if Air NZ and Virgin are going to sell seats for each other's flights then they need to suss out the interoperability.. having to call up to select a seat is very inefficient for passenger and call centre operator. I flew to from AKL to LAX via SYD with a friend a few years ago, to and from SYD was on Air NZ and to and from LAX on Virgin. Check-in for the first flight in Auckland (on Air NZ) was just a cluster .... because I had booked through Virgin's site and there were issues (friend's booking through his work was fine). And they were using some sort of DOS programme?

Then on the way back, more issues during check in at LAX..
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:37 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The NZ/VA partnership is only for Australian domestic and TT. It specifically excluded long haul such as the LAX flights which (as far as I'm aware) can't be booked on a single PNR with Air NZ and offer no alliance benefits.

As for the "DOS" system that's no different to what pretty much every airline in the works uses for flights.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I buy an ANZ ticket on SQ metal then I couldn't select seats, they said I could wait until 24 hours before the flight if I wanted. Erm, no.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
The NZ/VA partnership is only for Australian domestic and TT. It specifically excluded long haul such as the LAX flights which (as far as I'm aware) can't be booked on a single PNR with Air NZ and offer no alliance benefits.

As for the "DOS" system that's no different to what pretty much every airline in the works uses for flights.
It might be the case officially, but I was on an NZ LAX-AKL flight were an economy passenger was greeted as a VA Platinum, given some noise cancelling headsets and seated in the "frequent flyer" area. Maybe it's a one way benefit...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.