All New Airpoints Credit Card

Old Sep 29, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: NZ*E & DL Minion. Former QF & EK
No the lounge passes are pointless, especially now they're loaded electronically. Personally it's the status points that I care about, and this new card has the best earning rate.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:28 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by ajnz
That was something I suggested when they introduced OneSmart. It would be the only motivator for me to actually activate my card.
My understanding was their was no technical way of doing this initially.

Air NZ made a killing off debit cards (such as the OneSmart) as the interchange and merchant fees are minimal compared to an actual credit card.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: Koru club, Air NZ Elite, Sing Air, Qantas
Looks a good deal to me.

I'm changing over from my ANZ Qantas Visa card. Spoke with Kiwibank and they will match credit limit and transfer any balance over to new platinum Airpoints card at 2.99% for 6 months.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: NZ*S, HH*G
Anyone have any isight to this?

While looking at account summary over at myairnz.co.nz I see a note that "As long as you retain an ANZ Airpoints card, your Airpoints Dollars will not expire."

While I have my Kiwi Bank card approved and looking at cancelling my ANZ card, will any airpoint $ expire along with the ANZ card cancellation?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Originally Posted by shadytravels
Anyone have any isight to this?

While looking at account summary over at myairnz.co.nz I see a note that "As long as you retain an ANZ Airpoints card, your Airpoints Dollars will not expire."

While I have my Kiwi Bank card approved and looking at cancelling my ANZ card, will any airpoint $ expire along with the ANZ card cancellation?
My account summary says exactly the same thing as long as I retain my Kiwibank Platinum card. So I don't think you'll have a problem. But to be sure just use your Kiwibank card before you cancel the ANZ one.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:40 am

Programs: NZ *G, Qantas Gold
Just got my new AirNZ Platinum card from Kiwibank. They promptly approved my application matching my current credit limit on my global plus card.

Can't decide if I should cancel my global plus card? Any thoughts on this...I wish to keep my personal banking with BNZ but the earn rate on the new card is better. Maybe I will just keep both? What is everyone else doing?
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:40 am

Kiwibank wouldn't match my existing limit with ANZ--apparently I've hit their internal limit for people who don't do retail banking with Kiwibank. Slightly frustrating, but I digress.

Since I did a balance transfer with the new card (at 2.99%, a little arbitrage is in order), I'm going to avoid charging anything to this card for 6 months. But I see no reason for keeping the ANZ beyond the next 6 months since it is clear to me that the new Kiwibank cards are the premier product for Air New Zealand.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 6:01 am

With liberal far right political views, I hated how Kiwibank was formed. I hate how my visits to the post office for post office related matters (parcel/post not rego renewals) can be clogged by Kiwibank customers with affairs that can be done online anyway. I even hate the name Kiwibank.

However, when the new Kiwibank Airpoints credit card was introduced, based on the amount of spending I do, the additional status/airpoints earning over the next best card was too much to ignore. Something, I initially shrugged off as insignificant.

Loathed to change, I sent an email off to ANZ who replied that they have no plans in the near future to match Kiwibank's earn rates.

I have made an application, in the process I have found out that they don't issue supplementary cards to the same name, useful if you have to say, split work related spending from personal. This is something Amex has done for me in the past.

So I still have Amex with hundreds of thousands of points, an ANZ Qantas Platinum with hundreds of thousand Qantas FF points (useful to keep Qantas points from expiring if you hardly fly them). With the high fees of my ANZ Airpoints Platinum, it would be hard to justify keeping both Kiwibank and ANZ Platinums.

Not being a current Kiwibank customer, I am going to trial their online statements and see if it suits me. I quite like ANZ statements going back many years!
Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:03 pm

As someone who previously had a GoFly card and no other banking with Kiwibank, I can assure you that the only two times you need to go to a branch for banking matters is 1) ID verification and 2) adding PIN to you card. Kiwibank's online banking works quite well and I found the platinum phone CS very pleasant and professional to deal with.

I also fully share your sentiment toward Kiwibank. My wife even refused to use her GoFly card on the basis that it had a big Kiwibank logo on it. Perhaps that explains the complete absence of Kiwibank branding on the front of the new card? BTW, wife is happy with the new card. I should point out that Kiwibank now has a separate queue at many post offices, and they've toned down the pseudo-patriotic slogans quite a bit.

Last edited by Saxphile; Oct 3, 2013 at 3:04 pm Reason: Correction
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:51 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I must be too patriotic - can't imagine using anything but Kiwibank and have had numerous comments (positive) by retailers about the design on my Kiwibank card. My youth and naivety finds it hard to comprehend that people would refuse to support a NZ bank based on political beliefs. Incidentally my original GoFly CC expires this month so will be interesting to see if they automatically send the new one
Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:25 am

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Originally Posted by poopbunny
With liberal far right political views, I hated how Kiwibank was formed. I hate how my visits to the post office for post office related matters (parcel/post not rego renewals) can be clogged by Kiwibank customers with affairs that can be done online anyway. I even hate the name Kiwibank.

However, when the new Kiwibank Airpoints credit card was introduced, based on the amount of spending I do, the additional status/airpoints earning over the next best card was too much to ignore. Something, I initially shrugged off as insignificant.

Loathed to change, I sent an email off to ANZ who replied that they have no plans in the near future to match Kiwibank's earn rates.

I have made an application, in the process I have found out that they don't issue supplementary cards to the same name, useful if you have to say, split work related spending from personal. This is something Amex has done for me in the past.

So I still have Amex with hundreds of thousands of points, an ANZ Qantas Platinum with hundreds of thousand Qantas FF points (useful to keep Qantas points from expiring if you hardly fly them). With the high fees of my ANZ Airpoints Platinum, it would be hard to justify keeping both Kiwibank and ANZ Platinums.

Not being a current Kiwibank customer, I am going to trial their online statements and see if it suits me. I quite like ANZ statements going back many years!
ANZ's online banking system even with their upgrade last year sucks! so clunky. My credit card transactions take days to show up, the same transaction with ASB is up immediately and their online banking transfers are far simpler.

Loathed to get another credit card but agree the status point earning rate is quite good, although I don't pay fees for ANZ plat. The lack of $10 or 1% fees for foreign cash exchange is also good with ANZ - can't find if this new plat kiwibank card has something similar?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
The lack of $10 or 1% fees for foreign cash exchange is also good with ANZ - can't find if this new plat kiwibank card has something similar?
I forgot all about that perk.

Although Onesmart with currency wallets has now made that redundant for me.

With all this leapfrogging (Status/APD earn rate) and undercutting of fees (Onesmart), it is a wonder how none of their partner banks have yet to pull the plug on NZ.

Akin to a wholesaler finding out that a supplier has offered their competitor a better deal.

Last edited by poopbunny; Oct 4, 2013 at 3:44 am
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
ANZ's online banking system even with their upgrade last year sucks! so clunky. My credit card transactions take days to show up, the same transaction with ASB is up immediately and their online banking transfers are far simpler.
To be fair, ASB has the best online banking by far. I had/have accounts with all major banks bar National Bank (and TSB--but many wouldn't consider it major), and ASB beats them all in terms of online banking and posting transactions. The ASB Android app is also amazingly good. My wife also loves the way her ASB CC reward works.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: Air NZ *G,
Free Upgrade

Well I have been a kiwi bank gold for a few years and they have been fine , but I switched to a ANZ platinum earlier this year for the status points and koru discount. Now to my surprise I got a letter today to say my kiwibank gold card is going to close and they have upgraded me to the new AIR NZ platinum card - at no extra cost for the first year.

So overall a good result , now to decide what card to keep.

Mike
Old Oct 5, 2013, 1:32 am

Programs: NZ Koru & Silver, Assorted others
Currently have a BNZ Global Plus Platinum card. Was very interested in the new Kiwibank Airpoints card until I noticed the yearly fee which is not waved if you spend a certain amount. I've never paid the yearly fee for current card, they wave it if you spend $30K every 6 months. If Kiwibank matched that I would be more interested.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.