Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
But they're M/C rather than Visa
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by jawnbc
But they're M/C rather than Visa
That doesn't make any difference to status point earning!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:32 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Might have to cull my GlobalPlus card
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: NZ*S, HH*G
In the process of transferring my banking to Kiwi Bank anyway, so this is just icing on the cake.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 3:23 pm

Still not as widely accepted as Visa...

Originally Posted by pbl22
That doesn't make any difference to status point earning!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
I think if I had a choice, I would choose Visa. But I currently have my ANZ Plat as Visa and my work card is MC. I can't ever recall being in a place that accepted Visa and not MC - you may have experienced otherwise.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 5:16 pm

I've found the exchange rates to be generally better with MC each time I've compared my statements or their websites.

I've also never found a place which has only taken Visa.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Conversion rate seems to be pretty average: 2.5% of the New Zealand dollar amount once converted.

http://www.kiwibank.co.nz/personal-b...edit-cards.asp

What would make this card really attractive is if it would waive the CC service fee from NZ website bookings. That's what the Jetstar MC does for their site. But ofcourse NZ aren't going to be that nice...
Old Sep 22, 2013, 7:17 pm

In my travels in central and eastern Europe I've encountered places that only accept Visa. And the Olympics only accepts Visa--though I'm not sure I'll be going again anytime soon.

I bought the bullet and got the new card regardless. Will give it a year to see if it's worth it, then I'll cancel my GlobalPlus gold card.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
It's interesting to see Air NZ have announced no CC fees when using a OneSmart card for ticket purchases. There are no plans to extend this to the new card.

Is it just me or does there not seem to be a lot of logic or even seemingly a good strategy behind these cards? The new card is for all intent purposes a Air NZ branded card with very little mention of Kiwibank which is something no other bank would offer Air NZ. Surely this should be the premium offering?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by sbiddle
It's interesting to see Air NZ have announced no CC fees when using a OneSmart card for ticket purchases. There are no plans to extend this to the new card.

Is it just me or does there not seem to be a lot of logic or even seemingly a good strategy behind these cards? The new card is for all intent purposes a Air NZ branded card with very little mention of Kiwibank which is something no other bank would offer Air NZ. Surely this should be the premium offering?
I take this as a sign that not enough people have activated or started to use the Onesmart prepaid card.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: NZ, QF
Originally Posted by shadytravels
In the process of transferring my banking to Kiwi Bank anyway, so this is just icing on the cake.
so we will see you showing up on next round of Kiwibank's ad... i switch from ASB, National, ANZ, BNZ, lalala
Old Sep 27, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: NZ*E & DL Minion. Former QF & EK
The integration between the new Kiwibank card and AirNZ appears to be quite deep. My card was approved a couple of days ago, and now there's a new widget in my MyAirNZ that shows the balance on my card and (this is going to drive some people nuts) a direct link to top up my Airpoints account.

Here's a screenshot of the page:

Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by sbiddle
That was something I suggested when they introduced OneSmart. It would be the only motivator for me to actually activate my card.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: Asiana Silver (2012), AirNZ Jade
Could someone enlighten me, I just had a look at the Kiwibank website.

The GP Gold Amex still has a higher APD earing rate and the annual fee is lower.

Compared to a GP Plat or others this new card, APD earn rate is a bit better and there is still status points that the GP Gold now don't have. Do you guys find single use lounge access useful, won't many of you already have Airpoints Gold / Elite ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.