Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Now Pay for exit rows - "Fly Customised"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Thumbs down Now Pay for exit rows - "Fly Customised"

[edit]
This was mentioned in a recent thread, but I can't find it.

Mods - please merge those posts to this thread .
[/edit]

Received an email confirming the earlier advice posted on this forum.

Seat Select - Onboard your flight

Enjoy even more choice with Seat Select.

Whether all you're after is the chance to pick your seat in advance, get more space or a better location on the aircraft, Seat Select gives you the choice to secure the seat you want on Air New Zealand operated flights.

From 22 November 2012, for travel from 27 November, you'll be able to select from the following seating options when booking with Air New Zealand. Until then, you can continue to request a seat for eligible bookings.
Standard
Pay nothing for a Standard Seat if you're on a long-haul international flight, have a Works or Works Deluxe fare on Tasman and Pacific flights or Smart Saver and Flexi fares on NZ domestic flights. For domestic grabaseat fares and Seat or Seat + Bag fares on Tasman and Pacific flights, you can now select your seat in advance.
Preferred
Enjoy more leg-room, a better location on board or both with Preferred Seating. You’ll also get priority boarding privileges for an even more relaxing journey.
Exit Row
Stretch out and enjoy the extra space that an Exit Row Seat provides as well as priority boarding privileges.
Paid Seat Select and Prepaid Extra Bags Summary Table

Last edited by serfty; Jan 24, 2013 at 12:05 am
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:23 pm

Location: Auckland NZ or somewhere in or over the South Pacific
Programs: NZ *GE
Just got the email through. Now called "seat select" and also another "innovation" prepaid baggage
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
Originally Posted by serfty
[edit]
This was mentioned in a recent thread, but I can't find it
[/edit]
Seat Select

GE/G/Koru are able to select exit row seats free of charge only at the 48hr mark.

I'd like to thank AirNZ for vindicating my decision long ago to fly other airlines. Airlines that still charge for such things but provide access free of charge to their frequent fliers.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:28 pm

Wow, even charging PE pax for preferred seating, apparently!

https://airnz.custhelp.com/app/answe...3038/related/1

Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:29 pm

Location: Auckland NZ or somewhere in or over the South Pacific
Programs: NZ *GE

I love the "there have been some location adjustments but GE, G and KC still have exclusive reserved seats". This madness also applies to PE!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by NZ*Trout
Seat Select

GE/G/Koru are able to select exit row seats free of charge only at the 48hr mark.
And no benefit for silver. UA at least provides this for their equivalent elites at checkin; US and DL at time of booking.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Ok, here's the initial mention:

Originally Posted by Rebound
It gets better, on November 9th22nd they will start charging for seat selection of 'Priority Seats' - eg Space+ on Trans-Tasman - even for Gold Elites...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by PacificTwo
Wow, even charging PE pax for preferred seating, apparently!

https://airnz.custhelp.com/app/answe...3038/related/1

That's a terrible answer they give also. What's so wrong with a 'first-in first serve' policy?

Not mentioned in the OP, but NZ are now charging parents to use bassinet rows. I don't have children, but can appreciate how incredibly poor it is to charge for this and it certainly does not seem a very Kiwi thing to do. Do Ryan Air even have such a charge??
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: NZ*E, SQPPS, SAA*G
Nail in the coffin.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Originally Posted by PacificTwo
And no benefit for silver. UA at least provides this for their equivalent elites at checkin; US and DL at time of booking.
Well I guess that's spurred on by the rest of the American airlines allowing such things.. AA does too and even better, it allows OW Ruby to select seats for free.

That's a real letdown to both Air NZ elites and *Gs. It seems to be showing how much of a LCC NZ is turning into.. There's far less incentive to be an Airpoints member now..
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:59 pm

What about star gold on other airlines? Do they get excluded now?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints SILVER, KC
hmmmmm....

not that it matters to me being gold. Still a bazzare thing to do AirNZ!!!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by FullyIntoNewZealand
hmmmmm....

not that it matters to me being gold. Still a bazzare thing to do AirNZ!!!
I think you'll find it does matter. The way I read it, you can only access the left over seats 48 hours before your flight (free of charge)

Gold, Gold Elite and Koru members will still enjoy access to preferential seating zones for no charge. If completing the booking online, it's important that members are either logged in or have submitted an Airpoints number on the Traveller Details page to ensure the correct Seat Select options are presented. If there are any Preferred or Exit Row Seats still available 48 hours before travel, Gold, Gold Elite and Koru members will be able to select these free of charge.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: NZ EP
Originally Posted by brenrox
I think you'll find it does matter. The way I read it, you can only access the left over seats 48 hours before your flight (free of charge)
FWIW, I beg to differ on this one.

From the FAQs
'Has the allocation of seats assigned to Gold Elite, Gold and Koru Club members changed?
Answer:
There have been some location adjustments but Gold Elite, Gold and Koru Club members still have seats reserved exclusively for them in premium locations. Don’t forget that Gold Elite, Gold and Koru members will have access to paid Seat Select (if available) free of charge from 48hrs prior to departure through myairnz and manage bookings.'

Also mentions in my email, that as a Koru member, the initial seat availability hasn't changed....

Of course, I may just be an optimist
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging
FWIW, I beg to differ on this one.

From the FAQs
'Has the allocation of seats assigned to Gold Elite, Gold and Koru Club members changed?
Answer:
There have been some location adjustments but Gold Elite, Gold and Koru Club members still have seats reserved exclusively for them in premium locations. Don’t forget that Gold Elite, Gold and Koru members will have access to paid Seat Select (if available) free of charge from 48hrs prior to departure through myairnz and manage bookings.'

Also mentions in my email, that as a Koru member, the initial seat availability hasn't changed....

Of course, I may just be an optimist
Another case of NZ not spelling things out clear enough perhaps.....We will find out in a few days or so I guess

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.