Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Now Pay for exit rows - "Fly Customised"

Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF
"In Aviation news for Tuesday 20 November Air New Zealand officially becomes a Low Cost Carrier (LLC) More schemes and amazing innovations in order to discourage loyal customers to fly with the national airline are expected to follow"
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, NZ *G, Le Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
Wow! This is the final nail in the coffin for me.

I'm not going to complain, just accept that NZ is now a LCC and adjust my expectations accordingly.

It won't stop me flying with NZ, but it may make me consider other LCC's like Jetstar more as other than the lounge access I can now buy benefits like baggage, priority boarding, exit rows and so on regardless of status.

Disappointed though!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by NZ_Traveller
I can see what'll be next: Paid priority boarding - You choose! Don't like to wait in line? Want to board when you feel like it? Try our new priority boarding service for $10pp. Enjoy skipping the queue on your way to the aircraft!

But seriously, charging extra for the bassinet row is pretty bloody low. What piece of pond scum thought that one up?
right on!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
I flew Jetstar to Australia recently for business. It was ok. There was only one huge problem, and that was the massive and lengthy line to check in. If they get that sorted Air NZ is screwed.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Economy Skycouch
Available on our Boeing 777-300 aircraft. New offering - allocated within 48 hours of a 777-300 flight to Gold Elite and Gold members free of charge, if not sold prior.
This looks to be a positive

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/prepa...-summary-table
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:01 pm

This was codenamed Project Boson.

Perhaps because of how difficult it is to understand.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:26 pm

Pay for 'priority boarding' will not work on NZ because they only use one airbridge pretty much for all aircrafts.

You will only skip the boarding gate at the terminal but stuck at the airbridge.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by ntddevsys
This was codenamed Project Boson.

Perhaps because of how difficult it is to understand.
Yes, saw that in the link Serfty provided...I would have thought Quantum Mechanics was perhaps not the best place to draw inspiration from when it comes to customer facing changes...but maybe NZ has the view these changes are akin to the "God Particle" when it comes to profitability! Can only hope not.

From the new table linked by brenrox above:
Exit Row Seats
New offering - available free of charge within 48 hours of the flight to Gold Elite, Gold and Koru if not sold prior
Can you imagine the uproar from 1Ks if UA implemented a similar change? Yikes! This is not a very nice change. I would speculate that as a G/GE on a trans-pacific flight, relying on any exit row availability at T-48hrs is going to leave you out of luck.

Edited to add: apparently similar changes at AC.

Last edited by PacificTwo; Nov 19, 2012 at 7:38 pm
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: QF Gold
It sounds like a slight positive for G/GEs who book seat only TT. Instead of trying our luck at the airport we can try 48 hours before.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Originally Posted by brenrox
How many skycouches get sold on average per flight, if the flight is not full of normal Economy passengers sitting in those seats? During peak times, I don't see this being a benefit as there won't be any skycouches to let. For an individual traveller, there'll need to be at least 2 free seats onboard. With only 20 skycouches on the 773, it doesn't really end up looking like much of a perk to me.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by ANZ787900
How many skycouches get sold on average per flight, if the flight is not full of normal Economy passengers sitting in those seats? During peak times, I don't see this being a benefit as there won't be any skycouches to let. For an individual traveller, there'll need to be at least 2 free seats onboard. With only 20 skycouches on the 773, it doesn't really end up looking like much of a perk to me.
I assume that these will be given out to GEs first and then Gs.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Trumpkin
I assume that these will be given out to GEs first and then Gs.
Maybe they'll add it to the Oneup scheme. Why give it to GEs when you can offer everyone more choice for a small fee.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, NZ*G
They're charging you to sit in a bassinet row with your baby?? Really?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
The new policy as advised to agents.

http://www.airnzagent.co.nz/wing-tips-nov12
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:37 am
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ANZ787900
Wondering how this will work... If I'm travelling alone (which most commonly, I am), and I want to take advantage of this, am I getting a complimentary upgrade to the Skycouch (full row to myself), is it a "middle-seat empty" type setup (still with a 2nd person in the row to share the couch with) or is it just the ability to select a seat in the row, with no guarantee of any use of the "couch".

If it's the full row to yourself, then this seems like a VERY generous benefit, but I doubt that's the case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.