Community
Wiki Posts
Search

767-300

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by DCF
Because a very similar thing is happening on that route.

NZ-Japan has always been primarily an inbound discount economy package tourist market, but with much less outbound VFR and student travel than the China routes. The number of NZ residents travelling to Japan is miniscule, but the government (main shareholder in Air NZ) needs the Japan and China flights to continue to bring in tourists.

Consequently the 777 with lie-flat beds is being used on routes where there is actual demand for lie-flat beds. That means North America and Perth, where Kiwi miners typically earn around $150-300,000 per year, and hence have high levels of disposable income.
kiwi miners??..... in North America ?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:46 pm

i think another problem too is the 747 being replaced with 772 on some of the routes?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:56 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by marbles dad
kiwi miners??..... in North America ?
Perth, Western Australia. A large number of NZ FIFO (Fly in Fly out) mining staff.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: QF Gold
The nature of their shifts (20 days in a row on, 10 days off is typical I believe), combined with the high amount of disposable income miners can generate makes them a good target to market at for connections to the US I think.

As it is, plenty of miners make the trip between PER-AKL once every 3 weeks.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:12 pm

My cousin is a good down to earth Taranaki boy who is a electrical contractor on the mines in WA. He comes back to New Plymouth once a month to see his young family. He had never been in a premium cabin in his life till he got his first upgrade cert with status. He hasn't been back down the back since. There must be many like this.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:05 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
It's not uncommon for Kiwi miners in remote parts of Australia to continue to live wherever they live in NZ and commute to Western Australia.

They will typically in a four week period work 17 days with 12 hour shifts, then have 13 days off. And they will generally be paid anywhere between $15,000 and $25,000 for that month's work.

The flight from Perth to Auckland is an overnight flight which is 6 hours 20 minutes long, while the return flight to Perth is a daylight flight.

One-way fares are currently $900 in Premium Economy and $1700 in lie-flat Business Class. US-style Economy with no inclusions costs $660, or Economy with included food, drinks and IFE costs $730.

As a result, Air NZ struggles to meet demand for Business Class on the night flight whereas on the day flight Premium Economy is more popular. And many of the passengers on the day flight into Perth consume heroic quantities of the free alcohol which is available to everyone other than those on the $660 and $690 tickets.

In contrast, the pasengers to/from Japan and China have nothing like the disposable income that Australia-based miners enjoy.

My only disappointment is that Air NZ shows no sign of developing the initiative to buy a 777-200LR fleet to connect Perth onwards non-stop to London and Johannesburg. With those salary levels it's reasonable to assume that an aircraft as small as the 77L could make serious money long-haul from Perth, but of course neither Qantas nor Virgin Australia owns such an aircraft.

Last edited by DCF; Sep 4, 2012 at 11:31 pm
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:34 pm

If air nz wanted to do Perth to London they would need the Australian govt approval. With qantas struggling on Sydney-London I guess they will lobby the govt to prevent air nz from establishing such route.

Not sure about the miners in Aussie, but the oil field workers in Canada does 6 was followed by 1-2 wk off. Most of them fly transcon
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
If air nz wanted to do Perth to London they would need the Australian govt approval. With qantas struggling on Sydney-London I guess they will lobby the govt to prevent air nz from establishing such route.
Air NZ already have blanket government approval to operate any international route from Australia, and Qantas (and any other airline) any international route from New Zealand.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 5:01 am

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
PER-LHR or JNB? I am not convinced this would be a money winner? Why would cashed-up miners regularly fly to Sth. Africa or the UK? Do they not fly back to NZ, fairly consistently?

Not certain these numbers would warrant such a schedule, hence the lack of Air NZ initiative? Perhaps?

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:48 am

flying pvg -akl

Wish I had seen these posts before ticketing in early august, I would have avoided these flights completely. Had option of flying through narita and would have gotten better metal for a shorter flight. I will pray for an equipment change to the 777. I can't believe that such a long flight would have such bad seats.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by mrclshppn
Wish I had seen these posts before ticketing in early august, I would have avoided these flights completely. Had option of flying through narita and would have gotten better metal for a shorter flight. I will pray for an equipment change to the 777. I can't believe that such a long flight would have such bad seats.
NRT also has the 767-300 from AKL...

Cheers,

Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Airgroovin'

Cheers,

found NRT to AKL with 777 on it in January 3, and it appears to be the equipment from there on.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mrclshppn
found NRT to AKL with 777 on it in January 3, and it appears to be the equipment from there on.
It was in November when I booked but after a couple of months it was changed to the 767. Expect the worst and anything else is a bonus!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 4:46 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by Airgroovin'

Cheers,

NZ 767 on that route is cruel punishment. Those are easily the worst business class seats anywhere.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
NZ 767 on that route is cruel punishment. Those are easily the worst business class seats anywhere.
There are worse: Air China business on their 763s and BA Club Europe spring to mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.