Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy on Air New Zealand - is it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy on Air New Zealand - is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Zontar
Thanks very much to everyone for all their replies. Since someone else is paying I have decided to go with PE for the flight through LA and Auckland.

BTW, I plan to overnight in Auckland as I have never been there before. What 4-5 star hotels would be nice to stay in?

Thanks
Since you are SPG, there is a beautiful Westin right at the waterfront.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Since you are SPG, there is a beautiful Westin right at the waterfront.
Westin has closed.
It is reopening as a Sofitel soon.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:12 pm
NHM

Programs: NZ*GE
its already a Sofitel now, has been for quite a while. Sad to see the Westin close, thanks to those dodgy property developers
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:52 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
For an American the Sofitel is the best bet, as it is the best waterfront option, followed by the Hilton.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: VA Gold, Aegean *G, QF, SQ...etc
Originally Posted by catsongea
I am a short, thin woman. The leg rests on the 747 sound like the best bet to me. Am I missing something? I don't think I can face economy any more. By half way thru the night my legs are killing me.
Loads of people like the Spaceseats on the 773. I am not one of them--like you I am a short, average-width woman, and I found (even on a three hour flight) that it was impossible to get comfortable in a Spaceseat. I LOVED the PE seats on the 747 and the 772 though.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
77W - yes
772 - no

that's just my opinion, but an exit row on the 772 is just as good sleeping wise I've found, PE on the 77W however is really nice and i've slept a solid 7 hours in that seat very comfortably.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

No Starwood in Auckland

Originally Posted by DCF
For an American the Sofitel is the best bet, as it is the best waterfront option, followed by the Hilton.
I kind of wondered why Starwood did not have anything on their website for Auckland.

Booked into the Sofitel at $199.00 CDN per night.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:41 pm

Thanks Placebogirl, I will book via SF to go to Chicago. Sounds like a better plan than LAX in P.E.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Zontar
Thanks very much to everyone for all their replies. Since someone else is paying I have decided to go with PE for the flight through LA and Auckland.

BTW, I plan to overnight in Auckland as I have never been there before. What 4-5 star hotels would be nice to stay in?

Thanks
Just stayed at the Hilton Princes Wharf last week -- fantastic hotel, highly recommended. Now if we could just get a Starwood somewhere in New Zealand
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Just finished my trip.

Well I have to say I was very impressed with the Preminum economy service on the 777. The seats were comfy, lots of legroom, and the food was good.

I would say if you are travelling for business and you cannot afford the executive class than this is definitely a good choice.

This was my very first Air New Zealand trip and I found the staff to be very courteous and professional.

I would definetly fly them again.

The Hilton in Aukland was nice as well. Had a bit of a dated late 90's look to me, but the seafood restaurant at the hotel was very good.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:22 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
I've just realized that the seat back at NZ Premium Economy (777-300) doesn't not recline. It remains me the horrendous, infamous Cathay Pacific Y seat with hard shell they used to have (still having on some routes). The old CX shell seat back just doesn't recline, it the seat slides down and forward without lumbar support. Passengers either hate it or love it. I'm the one who hate it the most and will avoid at all costs.

My question is how does NZ 777-300 Premium Economy seat compare to the CX old hard shell Y seat in terms of seat comfort?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:44 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
I've just realized that the seat back at NZ Premium Economy (777-300) doesn't not recline. It remains me the horrendous, infamous Cathay Pacific Y seat with hard shell they used to have (still having on some routes). The old CX shell seat back just doesn't recline, it the seat slides down and forward without lumbar support. Passengers either hate it or love it. I'm the one who hate it the most and will avoid at all costs.

My question is how does NZ 777-300 Premium Economy seat compare to the CX old hard shell Y seat in terms of seat comfort?
The 77W PE seat is a mixed bag as well. Some love it, some hate it.

It's a mixed bag on the 77W. Amazing BP product, great PE product (apart from mixed views on the seats), and a horrible economy product. I flew back from LAX last week in Y (first time in this on the 77W) and to be honest would try and avoid that seat at all costs in future, it has to be one of the worst airline seats I've ever sat in especially with the 3-4-3 configuration.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:48 am

Programs: NZ EP
O.k, time to thrash this topic even more + some...

I am 6'1", med build...and am having a tough time of choosing PE across to the US.

Via SFO, I get old school PE with 'lotsa' recline, but a row of three and tired seats (and chance of upper deck which would be a novelty).

Via LAX I get new school PE, bit more privacy, but I am unsure of comfort.

What are the new PE seats like for someone with long legs and a preference for reclining/ slouching?

AND, will I have more chance of getting a RU recognised via LAX or SFO, or equal chances?? Better chances to US or back to AKL?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Most SFO flights are still the 744 with a 772 flying a day or two each week. 744 PE config is 2-2 on the main deck and 3-2 on the top deck. I flew top deck PE in the exit row to SFO a few weeks ago and really enjoyed the experience.

The top deck has the appeal of simply being upstrairs, but the downstairs PE area is actually very nice and has a very cosy feeling. The only place I would try and avoid if possible is the last couple of rows on the left hand side of the main deck as these are next to the office.

It's hard to give odds of getting a RU accepted because it will vary on your flight. Loadings to the SFO and LAX over the past few months have been very high with many flights completely full in BP and PE. Air NZ have recently run some specials in PE to SFO so I'd suggest loadings on this route have potentially dropped slightly after the America's Cup. LAX always is a much busier destination.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
It's hard to give odds of getting a RU accepted because it will vary on your flight. Loadings to the SFO and LAX over the past few months have been very high with many flights completely full in BP and PE. Air NZ have recently run some specials in PE to SFO so I'd suggest loadings on this route have potentially dropped slightly after the America's Cup. LAX always is a much busier destination.
I've just put in for some Gold Elite airpoint standby upgrades on the AKL-LAX-LHR route for my partner and I to move to PE.

Will be interesting to see when and if they clear. My partner won't be pleased if they don't - i've just used my two RUs on a flight (by myself) to move up to Business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.