Wiki Posts
Search

GEs & new DJ domestic baggage policy

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold Elite
GEs & new DJ domestic baggage policy

DJ changed their domestic baggage policy on May 16 from weight to piece. I called them asking what Air NZ Gold Elites get now. After a 10-minute huddle among themselves, they told me GEs get the same domestic benefits as DJ top tier Velocity Platinums. That means two pieces 32 KG each.
I'm suspicious.
Can anyone confirm or correct?
Old May 17, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
I've given up trying to get baggage allowances for a GE flying on DJ Domestic in Australia. Everytime I've called/emailed asking I get different answers which then differ when I actually go to check in (after much consultation to the DJ procedures manual) eventually usually everyone gives up and I get to put my 2 heavy bags through at no charge. But it's such a hassle and inconsistent/painful I've returned to booking qantas instead, where I pay $20 for each additional piece and I'm done with no stress and wasted time.
Old May 17, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
NZ would advise you that you would get one additional checked in bag up to 23kg regardless. That means when travelling in DJ Business Class, you get to check in a third piece. However even DJ Platinum/Gold cannot check in a third piece. And I doubt DJ check in agents will let NZ G/GE check in a third piece above DJ's own elite entitlement.

When you look at DJ's reciprocal agreement with SQ or EY you will find SQ/EY elites get the exact same baggage allowance as DJ Gold which makes life so much easier, for customers and their check in agents alike.

I agree with you guys. There is absolutely no hope of knowing who is right. The level of incompetence of current NZ management is quite shocking.

Last edited by Xiaotung; May 17, 2012 at 9:40 pm
Old May 17, 2012, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold Elite
For what it's worth (they've contradicted themselves before), the Air New Zealand Premium desk emailed today:

The new Virgin Australia (DJ) baggage allowance will apply to all DJ marketed customers on or after 16 May 2012.

DJ still allows a higher baggage weight for their Gold and Platinum customers in Economy Class on their piece policy regardless of the fare/product purchased. Air New Zealand does not extend a checked baggage allowance to NZ Silver, Gold or Gold Elite members when a Seat product is purchased.

In other words, if you bought a Seat Only fare/product with DJ when travelling on DJ flights domestically, you will not get additional checked baggage allowance. However, if you bought other product types, such as Seat + Bag, the Works, Works Deluxe you will still continue to receive the additional checked baggage allowance as NZ Gold Elite member, which now should be 2 pieces up to 32 KG each.
Kind Regards,
Yan
Premium Team
Air New Zealand Reservations

My translation: if you book a DJ domestic saver fare and don't pay for 1 bag, then Air NZ GEs get no baggage perk. If you book a DJ saver and pay for 1 bag, the second one is free. Both bags can be up to 32KG.
What do you all think?
Old May 18, 2012, 12:19 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by balaram
For what it's worth (they've contradicted themselves before), the Air New Zealand Premium desk emailed today:

The new Virgin Australia (DJ) baggage allowance will apply to all DJ marketed customers on or after 16 May 2012.

DJ still allows a higher baggage weight for their Gold and Platinum customers in Economy Class on their piece policy regardless of the fare/product purchased. Air New Zealand does not extend a checked baggage allowance to NZ Silver, Gold or Gold Elite members when a Seat product is purchased.

In other words, if you bought a Seat Only fare/product with DJ when travelling on DJ flights domestically, you will not get additional checked baggage allowance. However, if you bought other product types, such as Seat + Bag, the Works, Works Deluxe you will still continue to receive the additional checked baggage allowance as NZ Gold Elite member, which now should be 2 pieces up to 32 KG each.
Kind Regards,
Yan
Premium Team
Air New Zealand Reservations

My translation: if you book a DJ domestic saver fare and don't pay for 1 bag, then Air NZ GEs get no baggage perk. If you book a DJ saver and pay for 1 bag, the second one is free. Both bags can be up to 32KG.
What do you all think?
No, the email was referring to a trans-Tasman flight or a domestic flight in conjunction with a trans-Tasman flight. For standalone DJ domestic flight, you get free baggage allowance even on Saver fares without purchasing a bag. How much free baggage allowance you will get is another question.

NZ staff often confuse the trans-Tasman alliance with FFP agreement outside of the Tasman routes.

See NZ website:

When travelling on a domestic Australia flight on Virgin Australia, or other international flights, excluding flights to or from the Pacific Islands Gold and Gold Elite Airpoints members are entitled to one additional piece of baggage up to 23kg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.