Wiki Posts
Search

SYD Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K - DL Million Miler - AS 100K
SYD Lounge Access

I will be arriving at 7:10am on UA 839 out of LAX. I have a continuing flight on NZ to AKL at 6:40pm the same day of arrival. I'm Star Gold.

Will I be allowed access to the NZ lounge in SYD upon arrival? I believe I will based on my Star status. My concern is my out bound flight the same day is over eleven hours later than when I am trying to gain access.

If I am allowed access will I then be allowed to leave the lounge after showering and cleaning up? I might want to clear customs and go in to Sydney for a few hours before returning for my NZ flight.

Thanks

Houston Traveler
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: NZ*GE, A3*G, UA Prem, QF, AA
Originally Posted by Houston Traveler
I will be arriving at 7:10am on UA 839 out of LAX. I have a continuing flight on NZ to AKL at 6:40pm the same day of arrival. I'm Star Gold.

Will I be allowed access to the NZ lounge in SYD upon arrival? I believe I will based on my Star status. My concern is my out bound flight the same day is over eleven hours later than when I am trying to gain access.

If I am allowed access will I then be allowed to leave the lounge after showering and cleaning up? I might want to clear customs and go in to Sydney for a few hours before returning for my NZ flight.

Thanks

Houston Traveler
You should have no problem with lounge access - the NZ lounge is open all day in SYD and you can go in/out multiple times with your onward boarding pass.

Two things to consider:

1. It will be helpful for UA/CO to print that onward boarding pass and tag checked luggage through to AKL. If you pick up your checked bags in SYD, you won't be able to re-check them in until 3:15pm SYD time - Air NZ is VERY strict about check-in times in SYD.

2. In order to access the lounge at SYD, you'll have to go through the transit security screening. After your shower, you'll have to do that in reverse and head out through immigration. I've never done this, but I don't see why it's not possible, especially since the NZ lounge staff are very helpful.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by kaimanawa

2. In order to access the lounge at SYD, you'll have to go through the transit security screening. After your shower, you'll have to do that in reverse and head out through immigration. I've never done this, but I don't see why it's not possible, especially since the NZ lounge staff are very helpful.
You are not allowed to do this under Australian Aviation rules. If you do attempted it the AFP would be called in & you will be subject to questioning.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
You are not allowed to do this under Australian Aviation rules. If you do attempted it the AFP would be called in & you will be subject to questioning.
It's been done; however, it can be a pain. If questioned simply and truthfully state your lawful purpose and you should be fine.

Last edited by serfty; Feb 1, 2012 at 3:21 am
Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:52 pm

#1 I've done this successfully without interaction with the AFP.
#2 What rule is being broken?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by jjclancy
#1 I've done this successfully without interaction with the AFP.
#2 What rule is being broken?
Following up on this:
Did this again recently, with no problems from either the contracted security screeners or Aussie immigration. Saved the SYD airport left-luggage fee, enjoyed the shower, and had a great day in the city.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Just to be clear here, was the issue that the OP was going to go to the lounge (after going thru transit security) and then try to leave the airport?

I ask because I have a coworker (*G status) who is flying LAX-SYD in UA C, connecting to AKL 3 hours later in NZ Y. I am reading conflicting reports on whether they will be able to get to the Koru Club (no intention on leaving the airport). Even NZ's website says no which seems really odd:

http://www.airnewzealand.com/interna...unge-directory

(click on Sydney)

It has "Access available when you're in transit" marked with an X which means no
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by jasonvr
I ask because I have a coworker (*G status) who is flying LAX-SYD in UA C, connecting to AKL 3 hours later in NZ Y. I am reading conflicting reports on whether they will be able to get to the Koru Club (no intention on leaving the airport). Even NZ's website says no which seems really odd:

http://www.airnewzealand.com/interna...unge-directory

(click on Sydney)

It has "Access available when you're in transit" marked with an X which means no
That information is obviously wrong. You will have absolutely no problem entering the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.