Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 12, 12, 3:36 pm   #1

Programs: IHG RA, Accor Gold, Air NZ Silver, Emirates Gold
standby flights question (domestic flight)

if there are seats available do they sell them? I'm just wondering if for instance they have a flight with 10 empty seats, they decide ok, we'll put 5 available for standby. Or if they had 10 customers standby, would they in fact sell them all? common sense tells me they would sell them all, but this is Air NZ and common sense seems to have flown away of late? Just contemplating a quick trip to Tauranga to visit my mum, happy to pay the full flexi fare to come back (ok not happy exactly, but i want to be sure I can come home when i want to ) so a standby flight seems like a good option to get there.
Susiew237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 12, 12:38 am   #2

Programs: TG*S, QF*S, NZ Jade
Only for off-peak flights 10:00am - 3:30pm - see here: http://promos.airnz.co.nz/gas/standbyfares/

Full flexis are fully refundable, so if you can't snare a standby outbound, then you can cancel the return.

Note that there was talk here somewhere that (for example) attempting to book a standby for your return and then cancelling your fully flexi isn't allowed somehow - I haven't followed this.....

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Apr 13, 12 at 1:04 am. Reason: 3:30 not 3:00
Thai-Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 12, 12:13 am   #3

Programs: NZ*G, DJ S
My understanding is that they sell as many as they can up until 30 minutes left before departure, and then any seats left are given to standby passengers.
Old Apr 20, 12, 1:17 pm   #4

Programs: NZ Jade; DJ Silver
I had a long Gap between my flight last weekend so I tried for a standby ticket on an earlier flight. Lounge lady said that although the flight was empty, they can't issue your ticket till 30 min before so they can sell the ticket.