Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Asia Pass - anyone used, experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum

Hi, I'm aware that this may belong in the Star Alliance forum, but wanted to see if any NZ were able to assist as well...

Ms testleper and I are thinking of going to Southeast Asia over the summer - looking to go to Burma (Rangon), Phnomh Penh, Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, and possibly Sri Lanka.

Most sensible option seems to be to fly to Bangkok as that is the regional hub, and then do return flights from there to various places. Air Asia has pretty cheap offerings on all of the routes, but unless the price disparity is vast I'd prefer to stay away from them and use Star Alliance carriers (in reality, Thai) to make use of the lounges.

I've been fiddling around with the Star Alliance Asia Pass on the website, which seems tricky to use. Wondering if any Flyertalkers from NZ have done something similar and used the Asia Pass before, if it does actually deliver cost savings etc. What are the mechanics of getting Air New Zealand to issue the flights? Does one just email the premium team with an itinerary and get them to give a quote?

Thanks all
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:28 pm

this might help a little.

http://www.airnzagent.co.nz/star-alliance-circle-fares
Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
NZ won't take your booking via email. You will have to call them and get it all done over the phone. And they charge you a booking fee. You can easily avoid this by going to a travel agent. However these fares usually get ticketed in the first carrier's stock. In your case in TG stock. Or you can simply book on the official Star Alliance Book and Fly website below in which case you will be ticketed in LH stock.

staralliance.innosked.com
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Also look at this, and there used to be ASEAN regional pass - but I can't find a link.

http://www.bangkokair.com/en/plan-yo...ry-airpass.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.