Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Seats to Suit on AKLPPT / AKLHNL Nonstop Services- What's next

Old May 7, 2012, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Air New Zealand wishes to advise the launch of Seats to Suit on our Auckland to Tahiti non-stop services effective for sales from today 9 May 2012 with travel from 1 June 2012, and on our Auckland to Honolulu non-stop services effective for sales from today 9 May 2012 with travel from 24 July 2012. For Sales post 9 May and travel prior to these dates the works product only will be available for sale.

Now when your customer travels on these non-stop services they have the choice between travelling on any of our 4 Seats to Suit products – Seat, Seat + Bag, The Works & Works Deluxe.

Additionally Premium Economy and Business class will continue as per today to Hawaii and Business class to Tahiti.

In addition to Seats to Suit the following changes have been made to Tahiti fares:
  • Increase to existing The Works lead in levels by $10 one way
  • Increase to Business Class lead in levels by $10 one way
  • Current fares will expire as of today – new fares effective for sales from 9 May 12
  • Like today opt in fare levels are currently unavailable
  • On Codeshare flights only “The Works” product is available
  • Works Deluxe Buy ups differ to other markets

In addition to Seats to Suit the following changes have been made to Honolulu fares:

• All existing fares to HNL will expire today, please issue existing bookings by Tuesday 15 May or new fares and rules will apply
  • Premium economy fares will be available as per today with new farebasis and available on 777 services only. (Where the Works Deluxe product will not be sold)
  • Works Deluxe fares will only be available on 767 services (where the Premium Economy product will not be sold)
  • Works Deluxe Buy ups are the same as those for DPS
  • Opt in fares are currently unavailable
  • Addons are available to LIH / ITO / OGG / KOA as per today, these levels have increased
  • Hawaii point of sale commission is zero rated for published fares in line with Short haul fares
  • Child discounts do not apply
  • Domestic “Islands” addons can be combined with Hawaii fares
  • Card payment fee of $17.50 per person per one way AKLHNL journey applies
  • Hawaii fares will take on the same conditions as Short haul Islands fares i.e. Ticketing time limit etc
  • As per existing fares today any bookings with combined NZ/HA flights will not auto quote in your CRS, please refer to long term fares grid.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: NZ*E

Although I have not been to HNL or PPT
but its now confirmed that AirNZ is introducing Seat-to-suit on these routes..

Just wondering what would be next......

---
From Wingtips

<redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; May 8, 2012 at 11:09 am Reason: repeats information in original post
Old May 8, 2012, 12:11 am

Programs: QF Gold
I expect it'll be on all long-haul routes now, with CX AKL-HKG being the only direct competition on a long haul route left.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:41 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Will the Airpoints earning rate remain the same?
Old May 8, 2012, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Shazzadude
I expect it'll be on all long-haul routes now, with CX AKL-HKG being the only direct competition on a long haul route left.
this is so true.... but if you really come to think about this, how much is catering going to cost the airline on long haul? Putting wine aside, which could be the most expensive.... the food could only cost $10NZD or less per meal, given there are two meals, we are talking $25 max for the meal....

I rather they stop serving wine but to save the meal service? I am not a big drinker on board and from observation, most Asians on the HKG route do not consume much alcohol anyways..... (not to be racists) but then getting back to the point, I would be the first person to pay for my meal on a long-haul, say AKL - HKG flight..... I will surely be hungry when I get up (or when they wake me up).. departing at mid-night, waking up in the morning.. can skip the supper before I sleep though?

and if AirNZ is doing that on the Asian routes, say Japan, China, Hong Kong then it is making it real "cheap" in the asian market and that would be a suicidal move IMHO
Old May 8, 2012, 3:15 am

I think it's just a stealth way to increase fares by the additional margin that a works deal will cost. People will be sucked in by a special they see (that's seat only) and then add the works package later on in the booking process.
Old May 8, 2012, 3:45 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
and LHR-LAX, LHR-HKG where there are four non-stop and multiple one-stop competitors. It will be interesting if Buy On Board works on HNL and PPT, given these are decent sized long haul. The Buy On Board product for other markets would have to be markedly different, e.g. PVG, HKG, NRT, KIX will all have lots of leisure passengers with different tastes.

I'd also guess that if Buy On Board is extended to long haul leisure destinations and tourists get the message that they have bought tickets sans catering - they may generate a new issue, which is bringing their own food on board, en masse, and simply requesting boiling water for instant noodle/rice dishes or whatever.

The effect of this could be a serious increase in Border control agricultural enforcement issues from people who want to bring enough food for the return trip, or who simply don't eat all that they brought with them - and come from countries where there is virtually no agricultural based border control.

Not that this is NZ's "problem" immediately.
Old May 8, 2012, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by libertyuk
I'd also guess that if Buy On Board is extended to long haul leisure destinations and tourists get the message that they have bought tickets sans catering - they may generate a new issue, which is bringing their own food on board, en masse, and simply requesting boiling water for instant noodle/rice dishes or whatever.
i dont think the crews are allowed to add hot water / heat / store your own food due the the health and safety issues.

as for seat to suit to PPT and HNL, people who wants to visit those places will probably still end up on NZ's flights, there is many other choices. how many pax will go via AUS to PPT/HNL/Pacific islands.
Old May 8, 2012, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

777-200 aircraft to operate AKLPER sector year round

What's next? How about...

Air New Zealand is pleased to announce an upgauge to a Boeing 777-200ER aircraft year round on its non-stop trans-Tasman alliance service between Auckland and Perth, boosting capacity on the busy route by 20% in the upcoming financial year.

The introduction of the 777-200ER on Auckland-Perth adds an additional 70 seats on each flight and introduces lie-flat Business Premier beds and Premium Economy to the route.

The 304-seat aircraft will begin operating the 7-8 hour flight from 3 September, replacing the 234-seat Boeing 767.

New Premium Economy fares will be available for sales from 6 June. Full details will be available in due course.

Seats to Suit product – Seat, Seat+Bag and The Works will still be available however for travel from 3 September 2012, Works Deluxe will no longer be offered on AKLPER route.

Passengers booked & ticketed in Works Deluxe for travel from 3 September will be automatically transferred into Premium Economy with all benefits of Works Deluxe being offered.
Old May 8, 2012, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

This gives a short window of opportunity to book Works Deluxe fares between September 3 and 28 for NZD $1,378.34 AKLPERAKL and get transferred to a Premium Economy fare for nothing. Although Premium Economy doesn't come with a blocked middle.

Also a good opportunity for Gold Elite to clear R class upgrades from the lowest Seat fares (NZD $896.34 AKLPERAKL) into Business Premier as a one-class upgrade.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
This gives a short window of opportunity to book Works Deluxe fares between September 3 and 28 for NZD $1,378.34 AKLPERAKL and get transferred to a Premium Economy fare for nothing. Although Premium Economy doesn't come with a blocked middle.

Also a good opportunity for Gold Elite to clear R class upgrades from the lowest Seat fares (NZD $896.34 AKLPERAKL) into Business Premier as a one-class upgrade.
Spoken like a true FTer
Old May 8, 2012, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by ntddevsys

this is a great tip! just that there is no reason for me to fly there =P
Glad to see the upgrade from 767 to 772, but just wondering where they were freed from?

when will they replace 767s from the SYD route....?? I know they are waiting for their 787s... but ummmmmm way overdue....
Old May 8, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I think it's just a stealth way to increase fares by the additional margin that a works deal will cost. People will be sucked in by a special they see (that's seat only) and then add the works package later on in the booking process.
I agree - AKl-SYD used to be 430-500 return, when not on sale before S2S was introduced; now you'd be lucky to get a non sale seat only return for that. Obviously fuel costs have risen which would contribute to that, but not all I'm sure.
Old May 8, 2012, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by mmonster
this is a great tip! just that there is no reason for me to fly there =P
Glad to see the upgrade from 767 to 772, but just wondering where they were freed from?
I'd say that's to do with the 773 taking over elsewhere.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:56 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
For PPT there is still Air Tahiti Nui flying AKL-PPT and it is still full service.

Have to say that anyone who can afford to go to (and stay at) Tahiti should not be bothered to try to save a few dollars cutting luggage (OK not much clothes required) and food.

My first ever C experience is SYD-AKL-PPT C and it was still most amazing trip for me. Hopefully they won't cut C in Tahiti route in the future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.