Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airpoints Upgrades Gone!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: AirNZ AP *GE, Aegean *G, BMI Gold, BA Exec club Gold, UA MP, QFF
This looks like something of a cluster***k to me.

It is likely that I will continue to credit to my recently opened A3 account for long-haul Air NZ, and I'll have to sit down and figure out whether I start doing that for my domestic Air NZ flying too.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: NZ*E, BAEC Gold
Thumbs down AirNZ, How sad...

Yeah, count me in as another self-funded long haul GE bailing from a decimated FFP and sadly managed airline.

AirNZ may respond to the GE backlash by upping recognition UG's to 3 or 4 for GE's?? Who knows??

In the meantime AirNZ can stick Oneup their *A77
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Originally Posted by rayonline
The other day I had a thought about the AirNZ CCs ...
With the OneSmart card now. Generally AirNZ CCs like GlobalPlus etc. they pay you $1 per $100 spent or $1.50 at best.

Why not just get a non airline CC with a 1% real money cashback programme. And you are not limited to where you can spend that.

The annual fee is lesser.
Sure you don't get $250 SPs or Platinum Koru discounts......
The same thought has occurred to me. Currently have a Westpac Titanium 'parked' while I trial the Kiwibank Gofly. Will do the sums and consider returning to Westpac when my current free Gofly runs out. With Westpac you can claim the $ back for any travel booked on the card.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Well done NZ. There's nothing useful left in the Airpoints program.

Very sad that QF pulled out of AKL-LAX. I can't wait for UA to open IAH-AKL, as I will be using that regularly.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by MikeAKL
"Note that we will review all requests for Airpoints Standby and/or Confirmed Upgrades that we receive before 30 May 2012 according to the Airpoints terms and conditions that are in effect on the day we receive the request, even if the request relates to travel after 30 May 2012."
Yeah but they look at and process One-Ups from 7 - 3 days out. There's nothing there that states they will still give Comp and APD upgrade requests priority over Oneups. Especially as they process One-Ups before Silver and at the same time as Gold comp and APD upgrades. So I can easily see them doling out One-Ups and then saying "sorry cabin is full" when they look at Silver upgrdes 48 hours out and even Gold upgrades 72 hours out.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: Air points elite
Well said Blackcloud

Today is a very sad day for Air New Zealand.

I've sat in the Wellington koru lounge this afternoon with two execs from large NZ companies. Their view was clear. This is the biggest devalue of any airline program they have ever seen and the staff members who travel overseas with work will be penalized because they can't use their points to upgrade cabins and it's company policy to buy economy. We discussed a mass cut up of elite cards and sending them into Rob Fyfe.

In my view the buck stops with him. He runs the airline and should take full responsibility. This is a disaster waiting to happen for him and is likely to overshadow his departure from the airline.

I feel sorry for the aircrew who will just cop it on flights with grumpy elite and gold customers. Shame on you Rob for putting your staff in that position.

I personally am happy to send my elite card back in bits. Not a proud day to be a kiwi
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by rayonline
Sure you don't get $250 SPs
That's the only reason I got an Airpoints-linked CC. The APD are not an incentive for me (and even less now). But in last three months I have earned 111SP from credit card purchases. Helps with the requal (although why, I now ask myself, given today's news).

Last edited by pbl22; Feb 29, 2012 at 10:26 pm
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Who knows what they were thinking. That's a horrible move by Air NZ. Now what is there to do with airpoints dollars? Following these moves, I wouldn't be surprised to see the next feature released - converting APD back to NZD..
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by ANZ787900
Who knows what they were thinking. That's a horrible move by Air NZ. Now what is there to do with airpoints dollars? Following these moves, I wouldn't be surprised to see the next feature released - converting APD back to NZD..
IRD would be knocking on members' doors if that were to happen. Next moves probably would be getting rid of APD altogther and making it a status program. But who needs status when there are hardly any perks.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:51 pm

Programs: *A NZ Gold Elite for over 20 years previously SQ PPS and UA 1K
Wink Totally irrelevant

NZ has made itself completely irrelevant to business travelers and is clearly in a race to the bottom for the leisure market.

Good luck to them. I'm GE because of domestic travel, but I'm in Europe this week , travelled first class on SQ and LH for substantially less than an NZ business class fare.

I can't see any reason why anyone would travel premium class on NZ!

This latest insult on air points follows a long tradition of imposing death of a thousand cuts on their best customers that will only ever continue to go one way.

I will toast there health in the F lounges on my way home!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:02 pm

Programs: VA Gold, Aegean *G, QF, SQ...etc
Originally Posted by Rden
I personally am happy to send my elite card back in bits. Not a proud day to be a kiwi
Tempting--I do kind of meed my card as it gets me into the Virgin lounges here in AU (please, DJ, join *A already! I'd move the majority of my business to you in one hot minute, but I need to be with a *A member), but then Air NZ will replace if for free, at a cost to themselves. Hmmm.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:07 pm

Is this a moment when the onesmart APD topup backfired? In that case they should really get rid of onesmart instead of APD upgrades. Onesmart now looks like one stupid idea.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:42 pm

Programs: Air points elite
I think onesmart has given the accountants an excuse to take over. This is the start of things to come. I hear the next step is another reduction in air points on international journeys. I've decided it's Emirates for me - I already fly them over the Tasman since and now will go all the way. It's a shame there are no options to switch domestically.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
JASA/FASA anyone?

I have bookings through to May that will give me GE until mid 2014; It was getting tenuous whether to continue to pursue this but with this change I doubt I will.

If I choose not to pursue GE I will make bookings to utilise the "Recognition" upgrades I'll get through then, but that will be the end of GE for me.

I may maintain *G as it's cheap and easy to earn with Air NZ, but merely for the DJ status in oz and *G status worldwide.

Last edited by serfty; Mar 1, 2012 at 12:17 am
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:26 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
I suppose we need to create a new thread on recommendations for *G with other Airlines now...

What a sad day, also will have GE through until 2015 but I don't see the point continuing with Airpoints, I fly mainly domestic and a lot of regional routes, so I have no choice - the only good thing is I mainly fly on flexi-fares so getting atleast *G on another program should be attainable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.