"Valet" parking at Auckland International?

Subscribe
I just used the Koru "valet" parking at Auckland International for the first time. I use "valet" in quote marks because I don't think Air NZ actually understands what "valet" means. Just as a reference, the almighty wikipedia says, "In contrast to "self-parking", where customers find a parking space on their own, customers' vehicles are parked for them by a person called a valet."

I drove into the valet area slowly looking for someone who would meet us, take the keys and park the car. There was no one. There were no signs. I had no idea what to do. There was some random gentleman standing around and I asked him. He said, "I think you park your car and then take the keys into a desk in the airport."

Indeed, that is what you do. I don't understand the "valet" in this parking service. It's just a parking lot that's close to the airport, and where you have to give them your keys in case they need to move your car.

I was actually looking forward to saving some time using the valet parking, because I was running a bit late. But actually it took me more time because I had to find the koru desk and then wait around while they "processed" my keys. When I returned to Auckland, again, no "valet" involved. At the Koru desk, they simply handed me my keys - without so much as a thank you, I might add.

Am I missing something here? Is "valet parking" understood to be something different in NZ? Why doesn't Air NZ have a sign in the valet parking area to let people know that it's really not valet parking, and they need to park the car themselves and take the keys into the koru desk at the airport? Or am I the only person to be befuddled by Air NZ's "valet" parking with no valet?
to add the matter worse, you and your luggage(s) will get wet if it's raining. no shelters.

koru valet is also right next to Qantas valet parking too, so both of companies has the same understanding of "valet parking".

by the way you havent missed out anything. i hope you used your GE vouchers (to make up the disappointment)?
I had the same experience and confusion when traveling to SYD over last Easter weekend - circled around a bit to make sure I wasn't missing something, and wondered how the heck they call that "valet"?!

At least she said "thank you" when I got my keys on the way back!

Incidentally, it was raining on our return and managed to get quite wet!

Thankfully, used the GE vouchers for that one.
.... and it's 45 bucks a day!

I arrived at the terminal a few weeks back, late for a flight, and found the long term carpark full (hadn't seen that before).

Only option was Koru valet parking.

Why is it $45 at the int'l terminal and $35 at the domestic ... when they actualy do park your car for you at the domestic???
Quote: .... and it's 45 bucks a day!
If you pre-book online, you can score anytime Firday to anytime Monday (e.g whole weekend) for $39 in the main carpark outside the terminal. In fact you can park closers than the valet!
In addition to no shelters (so you get wet), there was no walkable sidewalk (looked like some construction, the sidewalk was blocked). So me and my preschooler had to walk on the road with all our luggage to get over to the terminal. Yes, it was a pretty poor experience.

I did use my GE vouchers. I can't imagine why anyone would voluntarily pay to use Air NZ's "valet" parking unless perhaps they have a career as a valet parking attendant in mind, and they want to practice parking cars in a "valet" parking lot? I can see the slogan now: "Be a valet for a day! For only $45!"
It's the same problem with the Shuttles drop off / pick-up at Auckland Domestic - they now stop in the middle lanes, so either way you get stranded and wet, or left standing in the wet.
I've never bothered with international valet parking. When I investigated it once, I came to the conclusion that.
1. It was more expensive than short term parking
2. It would not save me any time
3. I actually had to walk further than where I normally park my car in the short term carpark.

One the other hand I use domestic valet parking whenever I fly NZ domestic as that seems to be far better organized.
It's great to hear that the domestic valet service is actually a valet service. I look forward to try it next week.
Quote: I just used the Koru "valet" parking at Auckland International for the first time. I use "valet" in quote marks because I don't think Air NZ actually understands what "valet" means.

I only have experience in Christchurch (where domestic and international are the same) and it is far better than Auckland by the sounds of it. While its maybe not quite a true valet, its very close. You turn up and there is almost always a park free near the front, and then you drop your keys off at the booth which is situated in a portacabin right next to the car park (with luck about 10-20 meters from where you park your car), and you are literally right in front of the terminal with a very short walk. They then take the cars away and move them somewhere else.

I think its also available in Wellington... how does that one work?
The Wellington one isn't too bad either, undercover, very close to the terminal and plenty of space to just pull up outside, drop the keys in and leave it for them to park. They print your boarding passes and bag tags too, although I'm sure they do this in Auckland and Christchurch as well.

Again, not an actual valet service, but pretty handy.
Quote: The Wellington one isn't too bad either, undercover, very close to the terminal and plenty of space to just pull up outside, drop the keys in and leave it for them to park. They print your boarding passes and bag tags too, although I'm sure they do this in Auckland and Christchurch as well.

They didn't do any of this at Auckland International. It's a parking lot. You park your car. You take your luggage into the terminal building. You find the the Koru desk, and give them your keys. They hand you a ticket. Then you go check in. None of the services that you mentioned above - at least not at the international terminal.

The worst part is, you drive into the "valet" area and have no idea what to do because you expect to see someone there - or at least a sign!
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.524 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Quote:
Quote: The Wellington one isn't too bad either, undercover, very close to the terminal and plenty of space to just pull up outside, drop the keys in and leave it for them to park. They print your boarding passes and bag tags too, although I'm sure they do this in Auckland and Christchurch as well.

They didn't do any of this at Auckland International. It's a parking lot. You park your car. You take your luggage into the terminal building. You find the the Koru desk, and give them your keys. They hand you a ticket. Then you go check in. None of the services that you mentioned above - at least not at the international terminal.

The worst part is, you drive into the "valet" area and have no idea what to do because you expect to see someone there - or at least a sign!
It has been years since I used Koru Valet at AKL International but it seemed pretty straightforward previously -- with a sign.

Park car in the small holding lot (6-8?), drop keys to desk by one of the doors next to that small lot, go to checkin. Reverse process on arrival.

I guess with all the renovations things have changed a bit, but it used to be quite straightforward and not too dissimilar to many "valet" lots in the US where you drop your car and it gets moved later to the real lot.
Quote: Why is it $45 at the int'l terminal and $35 at the domestic ... when they actualy do park your car for you at the domestic???
Wrong and wrong. Pricing for International and Domestic terminals is identical for all services and at neither do they park your car for you.
Quote: They didn't do any of this at Auckland International. It's a parking lot. You park your car. You take your luggage into the terminal building. You find the the Koru desk, and give them your keys. They hand you a ticket. Then you go check in. None of the services that you mentioned above - at least not at the international terminal.

Our Koru Valet teams in AKL, WLG and CHC offer Air NZ Domestic check-in. International check-in requires passport and visa checks, with check-in agents trained specifically to deliver the International service. At the AKL terminal, the International Premium check-in area is opposite the Koru Valet desk.

I am keen to hear your thoughts and suggestions on how we can improve our International service offering. Would the Koru Valet desk closer to the exit/entry to the terminal make a difference to your experience?

In regards to the actual location where the cars are parked, we have requested from our landlord on numerous occasions a covered walkway - we will engage and pursue again.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Regards,
Olivia Pierre
Commercial Parking Manager