Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

What is Air NZ's attitude toward throwaway ticketing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:52 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

I have boooked WLG-AKL-SFO, but I would like to drive WLG to AKL instead. What would happen if I just show up at AKL? Will they deny boarding?

I should point out that adding the domestic segment makes the ticket more expensive, so I'm obviously not trying to trick them into getting a cheaper fare.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thank you.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:23 am
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
My understanding is that a no-show on the first booked sector invalidates the entire ticket. But, easiest is to just call the AirNZ booking line, mention that you "no longer need the WLG-AKL" sector, and warn them you're going to just turn up at AKL. I'm sure, if they're reasonable people, they'd be happy with this.

But, I have no specific experience.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
In my expereince AirNZ are really easy to deal with in this type of situation. Give them a call and they will amend your ticket. I have thrown away a number of sectors in booked return itineraries due to changing needs.
But do call them. As mentioned no showing for the first sector will probably invalidate the whole ticket.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:19 pm
NHM

Programs: NZ*GE
I've done this before on a wlg akl lax leg and it was fine

But as others havevsaid might as well tell them beforehand
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I have done it a number of times domestically, not internationally though. Once they tried to charge me to re-issue the PNR minus the first leg (cancelling the leg at the lounge was no problem however). I have even had NZ call noticing I missed first leg and wondering if I would be using the return flight, so you should be fine. A phone call wouldn't hurt for your own peace of mind though.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:08 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I called Air NZ and they told me that since the AKL-SFO leg is on Continental ticket stock (thanks to the Fly America Act), I need to call Continental. Continental was absolutely useless.

I'll see how it goes, but I will probably pay the $250 change fee just for my peace of mind.
Old May 10, 2023, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Anybody have experience in throwing away the final domestic sector once in AKL?

Situation: We have 5 pax on an open jaw WLG-AKL- XXX//YYY-AKL-WLG. One pax has a subsequent WLG-DUD on a separate tix, but now prefers to go AKL-DUD.

I'm considering proposing that pax just 'throws away' the final AKL-WLG sector and flys AKL-DUD direct. A separate FlexiRefund (P) has already been booked as 'cover' for this sector. That'd also allow the current separate WLG-DUD (X) to be cancelled, so pretty much 'zero-sum' cost-wise. Splitting the PNR on arrival at AKL and changing AKL-WLG into AKL-DUD immediately prior seems foolhardy.

Anyone have any experience doing this and the reaction from AirNZ? I'd like to think it'd be no drama for them, and indeed frees up a seat they can sell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.