Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777-300 ER mini-reviews

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2011, 1:31 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
[QUOTE=So my question that I'm hoping to get some guidance on is...would going for the Skycouch LAX-LHR be a more comfortable bet overall than PE on VA?

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Flying is the one time I regret being this tall.[/QUOTE]

It is a matter of preference as to whether you want to be seated in a slight recline or lying flat, albeit with your legs folded up considerably on a sofa like surface. Consider the Skycouch is only 5'1" long, then I suggest measuring that on your sofa and considering how you will be folding your legs up with it, given you don't want your feet stretching out into the aisle.

On LAX-LHR it is overnight, so I'd choose Skycouch over VS PE, but on the return daylight sector I'd probably (just) choose PE. Although NZ Y with 2 guaranteed empty seats isn't bad.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 3:36 am

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
Worth a read...

http://www.ausbt.com.au/the-best-sea...eing-777-300er
Old Apr 12, 2011, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Written by a fellow FTer ThatJohn to boot!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Took the new plane to LAX last night.
Hard product in J is excellant and improves on the last product by having a soft sleeping surface ^
Dinner service was super slow and the quality of the meal is the worst I have experienced on NZ for a very long time. Also the worst J food I have had this year on any airline (19 flights). It is very dissappointing NZ's soft product has slipped so far
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Vidic15
Thanks for that - the photos are good and give a good perspective on things. I don't like the sound of his seat recommendations....there aren't actually that many good ones is there
Old Apr 13, 2011, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by brenrox
Thanks for that - the photos are good and give a good perspective on things. I don't like the sound of his seat recommendations....there aren't actually that many good ones is there
There is some feedback on the new product between LHR and LAX which has been posted on Germany's airliners.de (in German language).

It seems the mean service in PE took 4 hours. Pax are provided with a 2-page manual on how to use the PE seats to their best advantage. The writer notes that crews seemed to be "quarrelling with the new cabins and galleys."
Old Apr 13, 2011, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by alex1948
There is some feedback on the new product between LHR and LAX which has been posted on Germany's airliners.de (in German language).

It seems the mean service in PE took 4 hours. Pax are provided with a 2-page manual on how to use the PE seats to their best advantage. The writer notes that crews seemed to be "quarrelling with the new cabins and galleys."
Here's the link:

http://www.airliners.de/magazin/mein...groessen/23886
Old Apr 13, 2011, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by alex1948
... and a translation, courtesy of Babelfish:
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
So it sounds like the 773 still isn't ready for prime time. What a balls-up.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KrisFlyer, AC Aeroplan
Originally Posted by serfty
... and a translation, courtesy of Babelfish:
Oh that's wonderful! (The link, that is, not the seat....) I haven't laughed that hard in a long time!

"Admitted, I am delicate. I fly on approximately a third of the yearly by world history, and on distances as the Kanaren or Iceland always in business class, sometimes also in roofridge. That is part of my job, because I write over it, what airlines their many fliers on board offers."

Old Apr 13, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Originally Posted by debh
Oh that's wonderful! (The link, that is, not the seat....) I haven't laughed that hard in a long time!

"Admitted, I am delicate. I fly on approximately a third of the yearly by world history, and on distances as the Kanaren or Iceland always in business class, sometimes also in roofridge. That is part of my job, because I write over it, what airlines their many fliers on board offers."

It gave me a good laugh, too. Just love those computer translations.

Just wish I could read German to understand what the writer really said!

But, unfortunately, for AirNZ the reviews from round the world are not good. I have to wonder how tall the people who tested the seats actually were. Or did they just use Rico?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nzlilibet
But, unfortunately, for AirNZ the reviews from round the world are not good. I have to wonder how tall the people who tested the seats actually were. Or did they just use Rico?
They probably did use 'talls' for testing; initial reports from 3 or 4 Hour T-T flights were OK.

It was when that paying PAX endeavored to use them and sleep during a 12 or 14 hour flight that the severe shortcomings became apparent. In fact as soon as the T-P operations started the complaints started flowing in.

Last edited by serfty; Apr 13, 2011 at 3:55 pm
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
They probably did use 'talls' for testing; initial reports from 3 or 4 Hour T-T flights were OK.

It was when that paying PAX endeavored to use them and sleep during a 12 or 14 hour flight that the severe shortcomings became apparent. In fact as soon as the T-P operations started the complaints started flowing in.
If that is the case, then it wasn't very sensible on their part bearing in mind that the planes were designed to be introduced on long haul routes.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure 'talls' flew on it on it's delivery flight, but one wonders at personal objectivity.

If you are being paid to fly on it, maybe with a group, perhaps in 'jaunt' mode, maybe sleeping was not the most important thing in the tester's minds?

Of course, all this is conjecture on my part.

Last edited by serfty; Apr 13, 2011 at 7:27 pm
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I'm sure 'talls' flew on it on it's deliviery flwght, but one wonders at personal objectivity.

If you are being paid to fly on it, maybe with a group, perhaps in 'jaunt' mode, maybe sleeping was not the most important thing in the tester's minds?

Of couse, all this is conjecture on my part.
I would have assumed that they did some user testing in 'long haul' mode with people at the Hanger 9 mock up to see how people (assorted types) felt after 14-24 hours of being in the various cabins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.