777-300 ER mini-reviews

Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by Rebound
NZ5/6 AKL-LAX-AKL - give no other 77W's on order these will be the only route(s) with the product until Air NZ make a decision on upgrading the 772's
oh I see.
But the C-Class in the 772 is still "better" then the one in SQ 772 yes?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alinghi90
oh I see.
But the C-Class in the 772 is still "better" then the one in SQ 772 yes?
Better by miles! ^
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:46 am

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by goliath
Better by miles! ^
agreed, but their 773/380 J is much better than NZ's BP
Old Nov 23, 2011, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, NZ Jade, QF Bronze, A Club Platinum, Hhonors Silver
Originally Posted by mmonster
agreed, but their 773/380 J is much better than NZ's BP
I think you mean the 77W and 380
Old Nov 23, 2011, 1:54 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by deconz
I think you mean the 77W and 380
I agree, but with my us miles it's almost impossible to find sth. on SQ77W/380 in C.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Now that NZ's 773s have gained 6" in PE, do you prefer the 772 or the 773 in PE?
Old Nov 23, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by taupo
Now that NZ's 773s have gained 6" in PE, do you prefer the 772 or the 773 in PE?
It would be a truly sad indictment of the new product if people prefer the lame 772 PE product over the new 773...
Old Nov 23, 2011, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
By my reckoning, seems it is now:

744PE>773PE>>772PE !

Earlier this year it was:

744PE>772PE>>773PE !
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:16 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Another satisfied passenger: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17651079-post1.html
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:27 am

A real pity that the convection ovens will not be coming back.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:06 am

NZ1, December 6th 2011 - 777-300ER

Route
LHR - LAX

Day/Night flight
Day but treated as night flight (lights dimmed, beds made)

Cabin / Seat No. (aisle / window / middle)
Forward BP cabin, right side seat 2K (window)

Seat comfort (width ok?)
Width was fine, seat very comfortable, leather showing no signs of wear. Recline was more than sufficient, rest on ottoman surprisingly comfortable

Legroom
No problems, was able to extend fully (am 6')

Ease of getting in and out
All aisle access so no issues

Food
Disappointing. Am a vegetarian traveller, pet hate is being treated as a vegan - which unfortunately I was. Can post full menu on request; veggie meal consisted of entrée salad of feta, main course very hot curried vegetable mush (of the sort served by UA economy) with damp potato cakes and green beans with silken tofu (pics on request but quality poor as taken on phone). Dessert was pre-selected as a fruit plate (vegan-ism again) so rejected and took the trio of desserts instead (wild berry pudding, chocolate praline caramel and coconut custard, and mango mousse and ginger glaze). Dessert was good but had texture of frozen and thawed cheap cheesecake - taste was fine however

Drink
Wine selection was small and not detailed by server (apparently there hasn't been a full compliment of sommelier training yet), no wine tasting held. Champagne on take off was very good quality however. Sadly as has been noted before drinks were scarce therein and had to request drinks during flight as snack request on AVOD was not enabled

FA attentiveness
Not as I had been led to expect - lots of mouth-smiling but little eye-smiling. When I returned an empty glass to the galley was treated with mild contempt. FAs didn't seem overly stretched however and had time to chat amongst themselves. Random crew member introduced herself on boarding but failed to explain who she was, and was not seen again throughout flight (concierge??)

AVOD
Fantastic selection, including some fun games (i.e. Battleships). Little annoying that some "box sets" of TV shows were started in second or third series so only useful if you have already seen them I guess (i.e. Sons of Anarchy - never seen, wanted to try watching, didn't want to start halfway through)

Would you do it again?
Previously have only flown this route through UA, so this flight though flawed was still miles apart, and gained A3 silver on this leg, so would do again for qualification but would consider PE rather than BP unless price differential was attractive enough. Did not feel inflight service and food matched the price paid

Other thoughts?
Though there was nothing technically wrong with this flight, I felt short-changed against other people's experiences, especially with regards to the food served - I paid as much as other pax but was given substandard meal with inconsistent treatment (i.e. vegan main but served cream with scone later on). Apologies for brevity of review, recovering from jet lag from this morning's flight -happy to answer questions. Return flight to follow.

Also, at least six empty seats in forward cabin (did not venture to aft cabin), so no great stretch for the crew.

Last edited by aaronhowe78; Dec 21, 2011 at 8:24 am Reason: Smelling pistakes
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:21 am

NZ2, December 20th 2011 - 777-300ER

Route
LAX - LHR

Day/Night flight
Late afternoon but crossed time zones - so, night?

Cabin / Seat No. (aisle / window / middle)
Forward BP cabin, left side seat 2A (window)

Seat comfort (width ok?)
As previous review, no issues with seat. Surprised at number of people apparently unable to hold onto a pen while sitting in seat given marks on the sides. Worth noting that 1B and 2B could expect to be bumped by pax/crew coming from lit galley to darkened cabin while adjusting (I bumped a couple of times - luckily the seats were empty)

Legroom
As before, no problems. Ottoman was sufficient to fit hand luggage under as required, but would not use long-term as a seat since rather small and uncomfortable

Ease of getting in and out
All aisle access so no issues

Food
Much better on this leg - mushroom ravioli in a creamy cheese sauce, with vegetables. Salad was feta again, dessert trio different puddings but with a similar theme (again can post menu on request)

Drink
Still no wine tasting, no evidence of wines left out for pax to sample themselves either, but drinks were plentiful this time and umprompted (crew seemed far more alert this time round). Coffee refills offered three times in a ten minute period

FA attentiveness
Far better - all crew attentive and friendly (one returning crew member from last flight, recognised me from before). Happy to accommodate requests and help with entry paperwork

AVOD
As before, good selection. Surprised by volume and timeliness of film selection. Though as been said flight map is slow to load (think loading Word on a PC as opposed to Notepad), it's a great system and seems to load quicker the more it is used

Would you do it again?
On this leg and at this price, definitely. I didn't manage to sleep unfortunately but that wasn't down to the bed, which was very comfortable (on previous leg had tried to nap but cabin unbearably hot so gave up). I felt rested when I arrived which is the important thing, and didn't feel as if I was being lowered into a coffin as with the UA lie-flat option

Other thoughts?
Some other general points - the seat is well thought out but there will be fights over the overhead bin space since 1/2B have no bins, think twice about stowing overhead as opposed to under seat. Tray table is a small let down, very smooth to operate but thin metal and reminiscent of hospital equipment, not in keeping with the rest of the product. Koru lounge at LAX beats all aspects of LHR SA lounge (not hard to do in fairness), fast pathed through most of security/boarding which was a nice boon as I hate LAX clearing. As before, very tired so may have missed some details - feel free to ask questions.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Row 7 - any noise or disturbance?

What, if anything, is the space behind row 7 used for? Is it where they were supposedly going to set out the various wines for wine tasting? aaronhowe78 above indicated that no wines were set out, but is the space used for anything else (e.g. self service snack bar)? Also, at AKL do they usually deplane via 2L? If so, then row 7 would presumably also be good for a speedy exit...

I was considering bagging seat 7K. oranjemakkergave it a thumbs up above, and I like the equivalent seat on AC's 777 layout as it feels nicely private, but I'm wondering whether people tend to congregate in that space, or if you might be disturbed by toilet traffic. Any thoughts?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:06 am

I only saw a small sample of snacks out on the first leg of my flight, but both legs were only half full (or half empty?) so maybe that was the reason. There was no congregating at all in the cabin, there are three toilets available to the forward section, one of which is at the front by the cockpit so there tend not to be queues.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
By my reckoning, seems it is now:

744PE>773PE>>772PE !

Earlier this year it was:

744PE>772PE>>773PE !
Some might rank the 77W PE even better than the 744 now.

No chance of middle seat, greater pitch (nominal and effective pitch), better pillows, IFE.

Not sure if the pre take off drink service is done on the 744 now though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.