Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 25, 11, 9:02 pm   #256
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnz View Post
I flew LHR-LAX NZ1 24SEP11 on a reconfigured 773, so I thought I'd compare two PE sectors, and see what my thoughts are now.
Outstanding review / comparison
kiwibigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 11, 10:45 pm   #257
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 366
A review of Premium Economy on Gadling.
Aerosett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 11, 2:53 am   #258
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MEL
Programs: NZ*E, AA1MM, QFWP, VA/UA/DL, etc...
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerosett View Post
A review of Premium Economy on Gadling.
A very positive review overall - thanks for sharing this. Maybe we all get a bit spoiled being so used to BP hehe!
RandyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 11, 10:03 pm   #259
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Programs: Air New Zealand Gold Elite
Posts: 518
3 legs BP

Quick summary of my three legs BP AKL-LAX-LHR-LAX over a long weekend. (currently in "holding pen" awaiting fourth LAX-AKL leg)

Seat: 7K all three legs. Great seat as others have posted. Feels very private as you are tucked away into the plane. Was my first time with the new mattresses and they really are very soft. Slept well. Even enjoyed breakfast in bed coming into London! propped myself up on three pillows. If you like looking out the window you can prop yourself up with the bed down and look out at the horizon cocooned in your own space. Pretty awesome. Also, with 7k you are one of the first off the plane if that matters to you. Was not disturbed by passengers going to restrooms or bar etc.

IFE: Touchscreen worked well, easy to use lying down as it tilts. Selection of TV shows excellent, but personally struggled to find many movies I want to watch, but I think that a personal issue!!

Food/Drinks: Enjoyed the food service overall, but (seem my post on menus) the steak from AKL-LAX was bad, but excellent from LHR-LAX. Drinks great, wine kept topped up (especially by LON crew, see below).

Crew: I thought the crew from LAX-LHR were excellent (and same crew today LHR-LAX again excellent). Nothing particularly wrong with the service from the NZ based crew on AKL-LAX but the London one was just better, they seemed to be walking through the cabin a lot more often, they kept the restrooms clean (filthy by the end of the AKL-LAX leg). Little touches, like sitting down and individually talking to each passenger, this was not done by the NZ crew. on AKL-LAX leg one thing that I found a little offputting was when I asked a female crew member (very nicely) if I might have an extra pillow. Instead of giving me one, or just saying there were none (which is fine) she went a got another male crew who said "dont you already have two pillows?".) They seemed to act like getting me a third pillow was a really big deal. Now, if there aren't any thats fine, but surely if there are its no issue. I wanted to prop myself up in bed, and the third pillow made all the difference. No problem getting it from the other crew. Maybe I was just lucky with this particular group of individuals!

Overall: Fantastic flights, great bed and despite what I said above excellent crews.

A note on the LAX transfer process. On the way out I decided to clear and get a shower. Queue for passport control not bad, and no line at customs. However, the customs man insisted i had to collect my bag. He said he had "never heard" of a flight transiting with luggage on board. It became somewhat of a standoff, he even refused to acknowledge the card I was given onboard which says specifically no need to collect bags. A second customs officer backed up the first, saying i had to get my bag. Finally an older man overhead us and said it was fine. But this took about five annoying minutes. The flight goes through 2 times per day so how can they not know?!

Once in the lounge, after going back out through security, it was great to get a shower and I probably did get about 45 minutes time so it was worth it, but it is stressfull. Now in the holding pen and it is better than I thought, no showers but some drinks and snacks and we apparently will be first on the plane.
oranjemakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 11, 1:13 am   #260
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London, UK
Programs: A3*G, NZ*S
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post
Now in the holding pen and it is better than I thought, no showers but some drinks and snacks and we apparently will be first on the plane.
Great review. Thanks!

Out of interest, now that you've done the mission up to the lounge and the "holding pen" on the same trip, which would you be most likely to do next time? From the sounds of things, the mission to the lounge just isn't worth it?
kiwi_norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 11, 3:11 am   #261
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ*GE
Posts: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_norway View Post
Great review. Thanks!

Out of interest, now that you've done the mission up to the lounge and the "holding pen" on the same trip, which would you be most likely to do next time? From the sounds of things, the mission to the lounge just isn't worth it?
I did both in August, Holding Pen = Stress Free, going to the lounge (as nice as it was to have a shower) and having to go through all that security and passport checks = Stressful. Until they somehow sort out a better solution to get to the lounge i'll stick to the holding pen.
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 11, 6:38 pm   #262
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Programs: Air New Zealand Gold Elite
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
I did both in August, Holding Pen = Stress Free, going to the lounge (as nice as it was to have a shower) and having to go through all that security and passport checks = Stressful. Until they somehow sort out a better solution to get to the lounge i'll stick to the holding pen.
Agreed, it just wasn't worth it. The stress of dealing with the incompetent customs officer in my experience sealed it for me (and this being the US, its not hard to see how this could have escalated to a point where they refuse you to reboard your flight, because he just could not believe that it was possible my bags were still on the plane).

Given the space they have to work with, they have created not a bad area for the premium customers. Its better than some airport lounges i have been to in my time. Its very cool to be able to walk literally 20 metres to get on to the skybridge.
oranjemakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 11, 10:14 am   #263
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Posts: 3
Just recently got back from having flown PE from LHR to AKL via LAX. On the way out I had seat 27B and on the way back 22E.

I have nothing but praise for this product. I found the seats very comfortable and whilst legroom is still a little tight when fully reclined, I really did not find this a major issue - and I am 6' 2". The tilt seems pointless though.

The entertainment system was the best I have ever experienced with plenty of everything for all tastes.

Food was very good - my steak on the return leg being pink and very tender. It's a shame that the dessert comes with the starter but again, it's a minor gripe.

FA were fantastic - made me feel like I was really important to them. Really cannot fault anything - although a pre dinner drink would have been welcome. On all four legs drinks first offered only with the meal. Nice wine selection, by bottles, and refills a plenty.

Seat 27B meant swinging my legs round so my neighbour could get in and out. It was very tight but just about manageable. I purposely asked for an inner seat on the flight back so I would not be disturbed. The flight was only half full so I even got the prized front row seat - and no neighbour! As a result I managed eight hours sleep between AKL and LAX. A 10.30pm take off time helped for sure. One thing I noticed is that some people in the inner seats that also had no neighbour curled themselves around both seats facing inwards?

Transiting through LAX was easy as well. The transit loung was just a few feet from the plane where hot drinks and snacks were waiting for us. There was a more comfortable area for business passengers. As soon as the customs officers came in, we were called up 10 at a time and the whole process, including queuing, took about 5 minutes. First back on the plane after about 1 hour 30 minutes and off we went. All the horror stories I had read about transiting through LAX proved unfounded - unless things have changed of late.

All in all I am a very satisfied customer....
TL0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 11, 12:58 am   #264
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: everywhere
Posts: 5,914
Thanks for the review TL0413, and good to hear.
__________________
.
everywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 11, 3:40 pm   #265
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago
Programs: British Airways Silver, FORMER UA Premier Exec, HH Diamond, Hertz Gold, SPG
Posts: 517
I too have nothing but praise for this product. Flew out in 26J LHR - LAX and 26E on the return leg LAX - LHR with the seat next to me empty on both legs. On the return back I was able to sleep for 5 hours across both seats quite comfortably! The middle seats are better in my view because of the armrest which is far bigger than the window side seats and also because of ease of access to the aisle.

The crew introduced themselves by name and shook passengers hands both just before taxi back and before landing which I thought was a wonderful personal touch.

Wine was plentiful both ways, the glass refreshed often and the food was of an exceptional standard and better than most US airlines business class offerings. The IFE was simply fantastic and one of the best out there IMO.

On the way out starter comprised of prawns and mozarella, tomato and basil, main was a choice of lamb, chicken tikka massalla and cod and desert was a trio of deserts. A a cheese and cracker plate was on the tray and warm bread was also served. Prior to landing fruit and a turkey wrap or spinach wrap were served together with a warm scone with the usual trimmings of jam and clotted cream.

On the return segment the starter was a beet salad with feta, main was a choice of braised beef, cod with a saffron sauce and a chicken breast stuffed with marscapone, desert was a lemon cheesecake and the same cheese and cracker plate was on tray as the outbound with hot bread served as well. Breakfast was a fruit plate, yoghurt and croissant and then an option of scrambled eggs with chives, bacon and tomato or waffles.

IMO Air New Zealand is definitely on to a winner with their pe product which surpasses others and I will as far as possible choose them on my trips to LAX.
rajsbasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 11, 4:45 pm   #266
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG ►NZ*G ►VA WP ►HHD ►IHG G
Posts: 17,111
Looks like the extra ~6" has made a large difference to PE.
serfty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 11, 7:08 pm   #267
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SJC
Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG Platinum RA, HHonors Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 5*
Posts: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
Looks like the extra ~6" has made a large difference to PE.
It has significantly improved the 773 product. I'm not quite sure I would rave about it - and I wouldn't pick it over J - but it is substantially better than it was. The recline is still pretty poor, the "usability" of the seat is woeful, and the tilt is pointless.

I wouldn't fly via LAX to experience it, vs. the 744 on SFO-AKL. But that's me.

I won't mention the price, either :-)
ajnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 11, 10:56 am   #268
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SYD
Programs: OZ*G, NZ*S, QF QPNB, Former 'bottom-feeder' AC*G
Posts: 4,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsbasi View Post
I too have nothing but praise for this product. Flew out in 26J LHR - LAX and 26E on the return leg LAX - LHR with the seat next to me empty on both legs. On the return back I was able to sleep for 5 hours across both seats quite comfortably! The middle seats are better in my view because of the armrest which is far bigger than the window side seats and also because of ease of access to the aisle.

The crew introduced themselves by name and shook passengers hands both just before taxi back and before landing which I thought was a wonderful personal touch.

Wine was plentiful both ways, the glass refreshed often and the food was of an exceptional standard and better than most US airlines business class offerings. The IFE was simply fantastic and one of the best out there IMO.

On the way out starter comprised of prawns and mozarella, tomato and basil, main was a choice of lamb, chicken tikka massalla and cod and desert was a trio of deserts. A a cheese and cracker plate was on the tray and warm bread was also served. Prior to landing fruit and a turkey wrap or spinach wrap were served together with a warm scone with the usual trimmings of jam and clotted cream.

On the return segment the starter was a beet salad with feta, main was a choice of braised beef, cod with a saffron sauce and a chicken breast stuffed with marscapone, desert was a lemon cheesecake and the same cheese and cracker plate was on tray as the outbound with hot bread served as well. Breakfast was a fruit plate, yoghurt and croissant and then an option of scrambled eggs with chives, bacon and tomato or waffles.

IMO Air New Zealand is definitely on to a winner with their pe product which surpasses others and I will as far as possible choose them on my trips to LAX.
rajbasi, I see you also have VS on your profile. Have you flown VS's PE product, and if so, how would you say the two compare?
mad_atta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 11, 11:57 am   #269
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: LX,SQ,US,AA
Posts: 191
Are there other routes apart from AKL-LAX-LHR that will be served with B773 by mid-2012?
alinghi90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 11, 12:31 pm   #270
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ*GE
Posts: 1,898
NZ5/6 AKL-LAX-AKL - give no other 77W's on order these will be the only route(s) with the product until Air NZ make a decision on upgrading the 772's
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:59 pm.