Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777-300 ER mini-reviews

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
good luck. i still feel pretty much ripped off for the "premium" paid, although from other posts it doesn't appear that economy on the 773 is any picnic either. the old PE on Virgin Atlantic beats the "space seat" on ANZ PE any day. There is a lot of hard plastic around your legs to reckon with, and the "recline" is pretty minimal. I was more aware of the seat "slanting", rather than the back really reclining. The additional seat pitch should, however, help with the entertainment system being too "in your face".

Good luck. In the meantime, QF.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:44 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
Uggh, I guess good that they are making the change to PE, but bad in that now my return leg from LAX is on the 777-200 rather than the new plane . Seating plan has been updated in myairnz, and my upgrade into BP seems to have stuck as well.
Old May 14, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
A mini-review from my mini-me

Great to hear that NZ is addressing at least the legroom issue of the new PE seats. My other half, who is about 5'4" on a good day, managed to upgrade E > PE on a 773 LAX-AKL. Here's his mini-review (he was in a B seat):

First impressions (via text message): Wow, it's cramped. Like a really narrow bulkhead seat.

After the flight, by email:
The seat
The seat's good but it's very tight. I wouldn't want to be any taller, my feet touch the seat in front and there is not really room to put anything around you. It all looks very nice though.
Also the seat doesn't recline very much, you are still pretty vertical. The beanbag comes in handy though.
The window seat is definitely the winner I think, though it's very hard for them to get out over you. All in all a really nice product, but a little awkward. The 747 PE seat is better overall.

The rest of the product
LAX lounge was absolutely heaving with people. Good wine though, and they brought around pavlova. Then the Virgin Atlantic flight was announced and half the lounge emptied out.
Awesome food and service onboard, but it took forever for dinner to be served. Air NZ staff are so good. Entertainment system is great, touch screen can be temperamental but there is lots to watch. Amenity kit is cute.
Narrow aisles all round, economy looks terrible. I would LOVE to try the business class though, it looks LUSH.
Old May 15, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by serfty
I suggest the PE on the NZ 744's, (especially downstairs) is a superior product to the 773 PE, even with an addiotnal 10-15cm. Of course that is not on "any other carrier".
why do you suggest LD vs UD? I thought the UD right hand side windows were supposed to be really good.
Old May 15, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
Originally Posted by unixflyer
Uggh, I guess good that they are making the change to PE, but bad in that now my return leg from LAX is on the 777-200 rather than the new plane . Seating plan has been updated in myairnz, and my upgrade into BP seems to have stuck as well.
Ugh, this is terrible - the 772 PE is not worth the money or the upgrade. I personally prefer the exit row in economy to PE on the 772 - more room and of course much better leg room!
Old May 15, 2011, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
why do you suggest LD vs UD? I thought the UD right hand side windows were supposed to be really good.
I also prefer the lower deck PE seats. The upper deck feels cramped, with a lower ceiling, and just too many people up there. The lower deck is roomier and feels much more private.
Old May 15, 2011, 4:23 pm

My preferred option, I like the UD atmosphere and lower noise levels, plus there is plenty of stowage. You can use the bins to the side of the seats as a table as well.
Old May 15, 2011, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Aerosett
My preferred option, I like the UD atmosphere and lower noise levels, plus there is plenty of stowage. You can use the bins to the side of the seats as a table as well.
The window seats in the lower deck also have those bins, so I don't think that gives the upper deck an advantage. However, I will agree that the upper deck has one big advantage - they don't have economy bulkhead/bassinets right behind them as lower deck PE does.
Old May 15, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: NZ Silver+Exec Club Blue+Priority Club
From a friend this morning who flew PE on NZ2 Friday night.

"the cramped conditions really spoilt the product. A number of people were complaining on the flight. We were all given feed back forms to fill in, so at least they are taking it seriously.

Its a great product, but the space really needs to be fixed for the money you pay. The old configuration on the 777/200's is very roomy! "
Old May 15, 2011, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
As posted by others there are variables; for me the relative privacy and, as a confirmed HLO traveller, the better overhead storage space combined with less competition for it do it for me.

Last edited by serfty; May 15, 2011 at 5:59 pm
Old May 18, 2011, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Aerosett
I know some of this is posted above, but thought the full blurb could be of interest.

Given the Spaceseats are at 36" pitch (effective pitch is greater due to angled seating, think it was 39"), this takes them up to 42" pitch (greater effective pitch due to the angled seating) and no middle seat.

Wonder if they will increase the recline, not sure if it is possible without a decent level of seat modification.
I'm flying the new PE late September from Heathrow to Auckland. Looks like the modifications will be done by then which is a huge relief after reading some of the reviews here. I flew PE on a 747, same route, three years ago but had such grief from an old German couple behind me - they hated me reclining so leaned on my seat every time they wanted to go the toilet - that the non invasion of reclining really appealed. Even at the cost of transiting through LAX!

How will they deal with current fully booked PE for flights after the modifications though? Six people to experience the joys of BP perhaps?
Old May 20, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)/NZ Gold (*G)
I tried the new premium economy today from AKL-MEL and was in seat 27A. I must say I definitely prefer the old PE seat over the new spaceseat

1) The "recline" I still find is very uncomfortable on my back and when I slide forward, my 5'6 frame feels like it's crammed against the plastic in front of me.

2) tilt is kind of pointless if you are reclined since it essentially removes the recline

3) it is impossible to get out of the window seats without the person in the aisle seat climbing out. I had an empty aisle seat next to me but it was such a challenge to get out to go to the bathroom!

on a side note, I had to ask for a meal even on works deluxe since they forgot about all the WD passengers when they came round initially!
Old May 21, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: United
I am a regular UA LAX - LHR traveler and was about to book the new PE on Air New Zealdand just to try it.

Being 6' and my wife 5' 7", the reviews here show PE to be awful. Good on Air New Zealand for listening and removing a row for more legroom, but I'm at a loss to understand how anyone thought people would like these seats in the first place, even if only 6 across!

When I spoke to a friendly customer service rep to try and learn more, she essentially said you have to be 5' 7" or under for this to be reasonably comfortable. She also mentioned the "coveted" first row centre seats are always blocked until day of for family travel due to the bassinet.

For me the biggest disappointment is NZ's website. The PE seat features / video is extremely misleading as to available space & seat recline. Also the fact that you can't check seat availability prior to payment means there's no guarantee you can get a center set of seats.

I booked United.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Big thumbs up ^ to the UK based crew on NZ2 LAX - LHR last night.
Excellent service in J. Much better than the three flights I have taken on the new plane between AKL - LAX. They did a pre-dinner drinks run which I have not had on the other flights and they got through the service quickly which is my biggest complaint from the other flights I have been on.
Well done.
Old May 22, 2011, 5:00 pm

Location: This is a personal account and my views and opinions DON'T represent those of my employer.
Glad you enjoyed your flight. I feel I must say, in the defense of AKL based crew, the service standard is to do pre-dinner drinks on flights that leave before 9pm (thus NZ2 does not currently qualify). Your LAX-LHR flight also had an extra crew member on it on your particular day of departure (for reasons unknown to me). To be honest the aircraft is a huge challenge to work with our standard complement of 12 crew plus concierge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.