Wiki Posts
Search

Starfish Card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Starfish Card

TravelToday
Air New Zealand has launched a frequent flyer card enabling passengers to save up to 30% on all regional airfare types. The Starfish Card is valid for one year from the date of purchase and will initially be on sale for a two-month trial period. It does not apply to trans-Tasman flights or services between the main city ports of Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin and Queenstown.

Two cards will be available, one giving a 15% discount and costing $200 and another costing $800 but giving card holders a 30% saving. “We expect to see stimulation in demand as customers maximise the opportunity to travel at lower costs than ever before,” said Air New Zealand group general manager Australasia Bruce Parton.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:55 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
*might* be interested in this
Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:11 am
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
They've registered the domain "starfishcard.co.nz"
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I think this would work for me - well the $200/-15%. I don't take a lot of regional flights, but they're mostly last minute and high fare classes. Better grab one while the trial is going.

Note it says not valid for trans-tasman - does this means it includes the islands? If so I'd go for the $800/-30% and could likely expense it with my employer
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:37 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Duplicate post courtesay AT&T

Last edited by NZ*Trout; Jul 26, 2010 at 11:40 am
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:48 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Rebound
*might* be interested in this
likewise, depending on the T&Cs
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Interesting new marketing concept, but won't be of use to me.

It's being treated with caution in the NZ Herald, including by the Consumer Institute.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10661480
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
AP/SP Bonus depending on Status with NZ would be great also (EG 10% SP Bonus for G, 30% for GE - or whatever...)
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:49 pm

If they want to stimulate demand whynot just lower the fares? I can see that the people who fly regular provincial routes will take advantage, but where is the stimulus to get people who would otherwise drive to use NZ instead?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:51 pm

Air NZ Starfish

Can anyone tell me why this is a good idea?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Share Investor
Uh? Well if one is spending nzd1334 or more per year on regional flights then the $200 starcard is going to be a good thing in the sense that it will save you money.

And if one is spending nzd2667 or more then the $800 starcard is a good thing in that it will save you money.

Maybe there are other reasons, but these are the two that spring to my mind.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Smile

Well it's certainly a good idea for NZ. They get money up front and, if they're lucky will make even more because those taking it up don't fly enough to save any money themselves. And more people might fly more thinking they will save money and some might.

Cynical? Yep.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:30 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Give discounts to loyal customers!!

I think it is a bit of a rort really:

Loud Voices & Loyalty

Why not just give "loyal" customers a discount and let them decide rather than lock them in with this card?
I agree, why not give silver 10% Gold 15% and so on?
I personally would prefer that^
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Rebound
AP/SP Bonus depending on Status with NZ would be great also (EG 10% SP Bonus for G, 30% for GE - or whatever...)
Effectively there already is a status point bonus by virtue of requalification being 10% less than the initial qualification.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:54 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by wayoutwest
If they want to stimulate demand whynot just lower the fares? I can see that the people who fly regular provincial routes will take advantage, but where is the stimulus to get people who would otherwise drive to use NZ instead?
Originally Posted by nzlilibet
Well it's certainly a good idea for NZ. They get money up front and, if they're lucky will make even more because those taking it up don't fly enough to save any money themselves. And more people might fly more thinking they will save money and some might.

Cynical? Yep.
Air NZ also benefits if people buy more than they would have otherwise, even for those who save $$ through the card.

I quite like the idea - those who have committed to spending a minimum amount can benefit while the one or twice a year flyers do not. The more you spend the more you save (relative to not having the card). Air NZ can still control yields so there shouldn't be significant downside for them, with potential for great upside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.