Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

London flight disruptions (Iceland volcanic eruption)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/uk-fl...uptions-update

Originally Posted by Air NZ
With UK airspace currently closed to all carriers as a result of recent volcanic activity, the following Air New Zealand flights are affected:

Today’s (15 April UK time) NZ1 London to Los Angeles and Auckland and NZ38 London to Hong Kong and Auckland are both cancelled.
Yesterday’s NZ39 service from Hong-Kong to London has diverted to Frankfurt Germany with passengers currently accommodated in hotels.
Last evening’s London bound services from Auckland (NZ 2 and NZ 39) will be cancelled at their transit stops of Los Angeles and Hong Kong respectively. Passengers are being accommodated in hotels.
The National Air Traffic Service has advised that restrictions to UK airspace have now been extended from 0600 (UK time) to 1300 (UK time) Friday 16 April.

This evening’s NZ2 and NZ39 are planned to operate this evening, however Air New Zealand advises passengers that there is a high probability that these services will terminate at Hong Kong and Los Angeles.

Air New Zealand strongly advises passengers planning to travel directly through to the UK on these services should NOT travel this evening.

Customers affected by delay or cancellations can either re-book on another Air New Zealand flight (conditions apply) or claim a refund.

Air New Zealand customers should check the Air New Zealand website for regular updates, call 0800 737 000 or check with their travel agent.

Ends
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: NZ and UA
I'm on Sat flight to LA NZ 2. Will try to call and see if I can re-route through San Fran, even if it means a 777.

Update: They are saying that the trip will run on schedule to LA. We shall see!

Last edited by Libenitz; Apr 15, 2010 at 8:44 pm
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I'd expect AKL-LAX will still operate, just not LAX-LHR.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:56 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Well a statement from NZ this morning said that the flight sitting in LAX this morning would return to AKL so i don't think that will affect your flight to LAX on Saturday.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: NZ and UA
Full disclosure, I was hoping they may let me go through SFO so I would avoid a nasty layover then red-eye to BOS!

I thought they may need to free some seats up to get some disrupted travellers on their way to the UK, but it seems the volcanic ash is still preventing arrivals.

Maybe the flight to LA will be light, better shot at an upgrade anyway.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
On CNN last night they indicated that this could last for several weeks - has anybody heard any updates as to how long this disruption may be with us?

I'm glad I canceled my trip to the UK for next month!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RandyNZ
On CNN last night they indicated that this could last for several weeks - has anybody heard any updates as to how long this disruption may be with us?

I'm glad I canceled my trip to the UK for next month!
No one knows. That's the thing with eruptions - they can go on for a year or more or stop this minute.

Remember the uncertainty when Ruapehu last erupted?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ICH Plat, Radisson Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Well Scottish airpspace is open and I would formally like to invite my favourite airline to land at GLA (Yes we can accept 774's * 777's ^)

And

If you really insist on getting out of Scotland and heading to London you can always get on a Virgin train, their 1st class is excellent.

Would love to see NZ in GLA lol.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
@KF: I did a helicopter flight over Ruapehu in 2003 and have to confess it did cross my mind, "What if this thing blows?" And that was several years later!

@bmi goldenboy: I would love to fly into Glasgow, especially as a pleasant way to avoid LHR!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Todays NZ2 LX LHR is cancelled. Is this the 3rd day on a row?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I'm booked on an NZ flight tomorrow although I very much doubt I will actually make it into the air. Reading between the lines in the press, it seems not much is really likely to change until at least Wednesday. There is however a real possibility this might go on even longer.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

If it is ex-LHR then no chance. Last night's flights only go as far as HKG and LAX.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
If it is ex-LHR then no chance. Last night's flights only go as far as HKG and LAX.
In my case it is ex-LHR, but I'm not going to worry too much as there is very little I can do about it. Everyone is very much stuck in the same boat.

Personally I doubt that I will get off the ground for another week if not longer. It's not great as I actually have a family emergency to attend, but worrying about it is not likely to make the volcano ash blow in a different direction.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:06 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I belive there is a 747 at LHR that has been there since the air space was closed.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KrisFlyer, AC Aeroplan
Originally Posted by MrSydney
I belive there is a 747 at LHR that has been there since the air space was closed.
Ed Sims was on TVNZ Breakfast this morning and said that they've got two aircraft on the ground - one at Heathrow and one in Frankfurt, which I'm guessing would be a 777 diverted from HKG after LHR was closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.