Celebrities on Air New Zealand

Old May 28, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thought i posted this here....but don't see it. Anyway.....Gene Simmons -- LHR --> LAX back in early March. Seated in the nose biz class. Guy looked stoned out of his mind.
Old May 28, 2010, 8:31 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, Cathay Silver, CO OnePass
I was in the Koru Club in LAX about a year ago chatting to this very nice lady about the trip I had just had. I knew I knew her from somewhere but just couldn't place it.

Turns out it was Tara Summers from Boston Legal, she was on her way back to the UK. Very nice lady.

Don't know if it counts, but have also sat across from all sorts of local politicians in CHC and WLG Koru lounges.

I was also on a flight from AKL to NPL with Jemaine Clement from Flight, I was amazed how patient he was with all the people asking him for autographs. Even showed a lady how to use her camera phone to take a pic together, once we landed of course
Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:17 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Phil Goff in the window seat a while ago sitting next to some backbencher MP (presumably), and me in the aisle:

Phil: You going to that conference, mate?
BBer: Not sure yet, eh.
Phil: Ahh.

That was about the extent of their conversing the entire flight.

Also had some British singer in the LAX lounge, who had 3 of the best tables blocked off for her and her entourage (who took up less than half of the seats but decided to spread themselves around them). I complained because they had taken over the last seats with power points and I needed power for my laptop! Oh, and they were flying VS. Don't they have their own lounge?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by wijomas
Also had some British singer in the LAX lounge, who had 3 of the best tables blocked off for her and her entourage (who took up less than half of the seats but decided to spread themselves around them). I complained because they had taken over the last seats with power points and I needed power for my laptop! Oh, and they were flying VS. Don't they have their own lounge?
Reminds me of Trelise Cooper
Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:27 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by Rebound
Reminds me of Trelise Cooper
What, my complaining?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by wijomas
What, my complaining?
Haha great call
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:14 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Im a regular on LHR-LAX-LHR route in BP and see alot of celebs.

Victoria Beckham LAX-LHR in Jan, (boarded just as doors were closing and seemed to be a regular on the flight as she knew a few of the crew. Very pleasant woman indeed, joking with crew and a few pax who spoke to her)

Katy Perry, Russell Brand, the band KISS, and Louis Walsh (X Factor UK) all on the same flight a few days before the Oscars (LHR-LAX) in BP

Sharon and Ozzie Osbourne LAX-LHR in April. She was coming over to film a show for channel 4 and Ozzie was in UK to promote his book.

There have been quite a few other actors from TV shows such as Lost and Greys Anatomy, whos face i recognised but do not know their names.

PS. Air NZ BP is my favourite class of travel on any airline. I think theyve managed to get the mix just right. Great seats, decent food, and excellent crew.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:37 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
as far as celebrities go, these players are fairly minor

but good on Melissa Lee (MP) offering up her seat so a family of 7 with 2 very young kids (incidentially family of a tv reality show minor celebrity) could sit near each other. She started of near the front and ended up down in 18 or so.

And the person who said she would not move looked a bit stupid when she said no at first when asked to help out and and was then a little later 'ordered to move' as the family needed to be seated together due to the age of the children.

Last edited by jeffrocowboy; Jul 14, 2010 at 4:41 am Reason: way too many typos
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:01 am

Programs: QF Gold
Lately I've noticed that spotting MPs in the lounges or on my flights is becoming more and more regular-so far this year I've seen Parekura Horomia, Nick Smith, Helen Clark and David Garrett.

Last edited by Shazzadude; Jul 14, 2010 at 7:25 pm
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by Shazzadude
Lately I've noticed that spotting MPs in the lounges or on my flights is becoming more and more regular-so far this year I've seen Parekura Horomia, Nick Smith, Helen Clark and Dean Garrett.
Yesterday I saw a few:

On my down to Wgtn: Murray McCully, Don Brash (ex-politician)

On my flight home: Hone Harawira, Melissa Lee

In Koru: Pita Sharples

(In the last month or so have also seen: Chris Carter, Lockwood Smith, Hone and Pita quite a few times, David Cunnilife)
Old Jul 25, 2010, 2:34 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
This is from many years ago - BUT it has always been a bit of a family howler.

My dear old Mum had been on new granny duty at my sisters in the Far North, after grandchild # 1. So about May of 1984.

Booked to fly KAT AKL WLG - with KAT AKL only have 4 flights a week. F27 was the aircraft.

AKL WLG was waitlisted, anyway she got on after not much of a wait in AKL - seated in 1E on the 737.

Mother tells the story that she had David Bolger in 1D and there was a spare seat on her other side 1F.

Bit of a delay before departure, and Mother hears one of the Cabin Crew stating to another - we are just waiting for the Prime Minister.

Mother tells of how she looked at the spare seat next to her and thought David Lange - I hope not.

Mother being a card carry member of the National Party!!!

Anyway - it happens.

She did say he was polite and they did not discuss politics.

I can remember around that time - I had a few friends who were WLG based CC and I flipped through a training manual one day.

There were special instructions as to how to handle Cabinet Ministers and Prime Ministers on board, including instructions for the B CC person to place themselves at row 2 or 3 to block anyone deplanning before the VIP.

Maybe current CC on this forum could advize if this is still part of the on board training manuals.

Deja Vue
Old Jul 25, 2010, 4:30 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
AKL Dom KC was MP central on Friday evening. Peter Dunne, Rodney Hide plus 2 more from TV who I cannot place names to faces.

John Key was there a few weeks ago. He came in with an entourage of about 5...good to see he was just within GE guest limits then
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:05 pm

Location: Wellington/Dunedin/Auckland/Africa/Pacific Islands/Geneva
Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
AKL Dom KC was MP central on Friday evening. Peter Dunne, Rodney Hide plus 2 more from TV who I cannot place names to faces.

John Key was there a few weeks ago. He came in with an entourage of about 5...good to see he was just within GE guest limits then
I had Mr Key on the red eye WLG-CHC (403) a few weeks back. He boarded 5 minutes after departure time (along with his entourage) and sat directly behind me in 2F (I was in 1F). My laptop had been placed in the far end of the locker above 2F and he was nice enough to pass it down to me on our arrival into CHC.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 2:59 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
A fortnight ago there was flamboyant British quiz show host Vernon Kay and athlete James Cracknell both sporting shorts and thongs in Business Premier LHR-LAX.

Three days later Cracknell tweeted that Kay had happened to be in Santa Monica and came to wave him off on his long-distance bike ride (in which he promptly fell off his bike and hurt himself quite badly - hope he gets well soon).

Last edited by DCF; Jul 29, 2010 at 6:27 am
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:21 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
'The Bugman' (Ruud Kleinpaste) was on a recent flight....I actually overheard him asking the FA what the rego of the plane was, so must be an enthusiast

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.