Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Help booking CAY-JFK using Flying Blue points: illegal itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I used the Flying Blue mileage calculator and it verified that I could fly from Cayenne to JFK for 15K Flying Blue points (a sweet spot in the award chart that I'd like to capitalize on).

On the date I wish to fly, CAY-PAP-MIA (Air France, late night arrival) is available, as is MIA-JFK (Delta, early the next morning). However, both the website and the phone operators are only able to book me CAY-ORY-JFK for 55K miles or CAY-PAP-MIA and MIA-JFK as two separate one-ways for 27.5K miles.

Am I trying to book an illegal itinerary? If not, can you suggest how I can get an Air France operator to pair these two legs together in the same itinerary?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

An update that sheds some further light on this issue, although I still don't understand it at all.

If I try to book a one-way from CAY-JFK on the Air France website using cash, the option via MIA comes up, but is not bookable (error message).

However, if I try to book a round-trip ticket between CAY-JFK, the CAY-MIA-JFK leg *is* bookable as the outbound leg.

Have you ever heard of an itinerary that's illegal as a one-way, but allowable as part of a round trip?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Your itinerary is not illegal at all. However, I think it would be hardly bookable online.
You can reach a Flying Blue agent using one of the few phone numbers.
My advise would be to call a European number to avoid a Delta agent.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by grlmopz
Hi all,

On the date I wish to fly, CAY-PAP-MIA (Air France, late night arrival) is available, as is MIA-JFK (Delta, early the next morning).
Am I trying to book an illegal itinerary? If not, can you suggest how I can get an Air France operator to pair these two legs together in the same itinerary?

Thanks in advance!
This itinerary is not illegal but could be not bookable due to the married segment logic. This means, the whole itinerary (CAY-MIA-NYC) has to be available for issuance in one ticket. I tested to book this for a regular ticket on the website, it sends you through PAR as well...

I'd try the European call centre again, but looks like that tickets for AF606 can be issued to MIA only. Weird.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
Married segments logic doesn't apply when a ticket involves various airlines with their separate award inventory. The agents just add flights manually and have to price a ticket manually based on an origin and a destination (+ common sense with routing of course).

There can't be more than 3 flights in one-way award ticket.
There can't be more than 24 hours connection in any airport.

grlmopz, your routing seems fine to me. It also looks like it should be bookable. Just call FlyingBlue in France and feed them flight numbers you want to be booked on. Maybe you would need to be a bit persuasive and ask an agent to check with a supervisor (should help).
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:31 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Hi

i think in your case they didnt setup such thing in their system , because PTP is not a transit airport for AF , or they didnt setup FB prices for such route

If you can make a simulation and try to book them as separate

Anyway let us know what will be the outcome
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

The resolution was that Air France was unable to marry CAY-MIA with MIA-JFK; instead, I bought a separate revenue ticket from MIA-JFK. Not an ideal solution, but I couldn't find anyone who was able to help.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:18 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
The resolution was that Air France was unable to marry CAY-MIA with MIA-JFK; instead, I bought a separate revenue ticket from MIA-JFK. Not an ideal solution, but I couldn't find anyone who was able to help.
the MIA-JFK is operated by DL or AF ?

In this case it can explain the story

Your CAY-MIA is direct or you need to stop in PTP ? Otherwise you could try CAY-PTP-ATL and then book a cheap ATL-JFK
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by fifty_two
the MIA-JFK is operated by DL or AF ?
AF does not operate US domestic flights.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
The last time I tried it seems it was bookable to make an itinerary like this:
YUL-ATL-PTP-CAY. Maybe try starting point from Canada and it may work....

But that was a paid ticket and I am not sure if DL will release any empty seats on the YUL-ATL route....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.