Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France FB redemption rookie. Best method?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Question Air France FB redemption rookie. Best method?

I am planning a family trip for January of 2018 using awards on Air France LAX-PPT. The Round trip points needed is 60,000 each for wife, daughter and myself to get to Tahiti.

All three of us have our own (ivory) Flying Blue account with 8,500 balance on each one as of June. I have about 110,000 amex points and about 42,000 Chase points I can transfer. I will purchase the few extra thousand points if still needed at time of the transaction.

When I do the award purchase through AF web site is there a way to transfer all the FB points to one account without a fee because we are family, then buy three tickets on one transaction with 180,000 points
OR
Do I load up each FB account to the 60,000 and do three separate transactions and tickets

I suspect there is not a (easy)way to transfer those existing FB points to other family members even if final ticket is for that person.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:06 pm

FB doesn't have a "family" account so transferring miles costs money, unless you have an AF/KL Amex in which case you can share points between the main card holder and the secondary card(s) holder(s).

Can you transfer Amex/Chase points to FB account that is on a different name than the card holder though?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Yeah, there is a way (for payment) but it's really not economical. It's extremely expensive. You're better off getting a European AmEx that lets you pool points as Ditto says of just leaving it be.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
Can you transfer Amex/Chase points to FB account that is on a different name than the card holder though?
Thanks Ditto and yeah that is where the rub is considering the point balance I currently have on each and the age of my daughter.

Amex Gold
- Can transfer to any authorized user's airline partner program (wife is)
- Additional users no charge for the first 5
- minimum age is 15 (daughter is 13)

Chase Sapphire Reserve
- Can transfer points to ONE authorized user's airline partner program (wife is)
- additional users cost $75/yr
- No minimum age

So for my wife who is an authorized user on both Amex and Chase Sapphire Reserve there is no issue. I will need to add daughter as an authorized user to Chase to transfer points directly to her FB account. The extra $75 no big issue but putting her as the authorized user will tie my hands to use some of the chase points for wife.

I had my amex and chase balances flipped in my original post. So if I have to do 3 tickets separate with air France. 60,000 pt purchases would be based on.
Me (8,500 FB + 52,000 chase)
Wife (8,500 FB + 42,000 amex +10,000 purchased amex points)
Daughter (8,500 FB + 52,000 chase)
leaves 6,000 chase and 1,500 FB unused.

OR

I leave daughters FB points alone. Buy a ticket in her name with my points
Me and Daughter (8,500 FB + 110,000 chase + 2,000 purchased amex pts)
Wife (8,500 FB + 42,000 amex points + 10,000 purchased amex pts)
leaving 9,500 unused FB points unused and no $75 authorized user fee plus $50 more cost in purchased points

The real trick is if I add my 13 year old as an authorized user I can NOT let her know she has such power... She must not see the card when it arrives

Last edited by john c wisconsin; Apr 20, 2017 at 1:45 am Reason: correct typo
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I would add a word of caution.
AF offers classic awards "starting from" 60,000 miles.
But the actual price can be more than 60,000. They could have X availability (the bucket for classic Y award) but at a price higher than 60,000. You should check before transferring miles from your cc. And the amount might change by the time you get the miles transferred.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
I would add a word of caution.
AF offers classic awards "starting from" 60,000 miles.
But the actual price can be more than 60,000. They could have X availability (the bucket for classic Y award) but at a price higher than 60,000. You should check before transferring miles from your cc. And the amount might change by the time you get the miles transferred.

Thanks, So far good availability on days that work. 9 seats each way at 30,000. There are some days around it that are 51,000 plus. Got toward the end on AF booking and also shows good on Expertflier award search. It will be fun though as one big chunk of my miles won't hit until closer to June. We will see whats out there then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.