Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worth buying miles to lock down reward tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Worth buying miles to lock down reward tickets?

Hi all. I'm looking to book two business reward tickets on Air France from Europe to the US for March 2018. The cost is 125k pts + $527 fees. I currently have 122.5k pts on my Sapphire Reserve. So I have two options:

1. Wait a month until I have enough pts for the redemption
2. Buy 4k pts for $110 EUR ($116.46 USD) and get those reward tix right now

Here is my thinking: The cash price for the tickets is $6628. So the per pt redemption value is:

($6628 - $527) x 100 / 125000 = 4.88 cents / pt

For the 4k pts purchase, I would get 3% pts from CSR. Using the 4.88x multiplier for worth:

$116.45 x 0.03 x 4.88 = $17.05

So essentially, I'm paying $116.45 - $17.05 = $99.40 for 4k pts. Thus my real cost for purchasing the miles is:

$99.4 * 100 / 4000 = 2.49 cents / pt

Base on my math, since I'm getting nearly 2x redemption value vs purchase cost, it seems worth it to just buy the 4k pts and lock down those award tickets right now. Am I wrong? I'm pretty new at this, so I would appreciate it if all of you seasoned experts can confirm my assumption
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Do you also have any other credit card rewards that are transferable to Flying Blue such as American Express Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou Rewards or SPG Starpoints?

It's a small part of your calculation, but purchasing miles isn't likely to earn a travel category credit card bonus, unless the airline handles its own sales and uses its primary merchant account.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Do you also have any other credit card rewards that are transferable to Flying Blue such as American Express Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou Rewards or SPG Starpoints?
Unfortunately no. I went all in with Chase UR.

It's a small part of your calculation, but purchasing miles isn't likely to earn a travel category credit card bonus, unless the airline handles its own sales and uses its primary merchant account.
Ahh ok, that's good to know. But like you said, it's only a small part of the calculation.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I don't see anything wrong with buying a few points as the cost is still insignificant to the total value of the redemption.

But if you have some cash sitting around, you can consider buying some gift cards. Amex giftcards for 2x$2000 will cost $7 in fees. You get 4k points immediately and then use those gift cards for paying bills and daily expenses later.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Explorer789
I don't see anything wrong with buying a few points as the cost is still insignificant to the total value of the redemption.

But if you have some cash sitting around, you can consider buying some gift cards. Amex giftcards for 2x$2000 will cost $7 in fees. You get 4k points immediately and then use those gift cards for paying bills and daily expenses later.
Unfortunately the only AmEx card I have is an old Blue Cash, which I believe doesn't generate MR points (cash back only).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by hand_solo
Unfortunately the only AmEx card I have is an old Blue Cash, which I believe doesn't generate MR points (cash back only).
I think you misunderstood. Use your CSR to buy the Amex gift cards (you don't need an amex cc to buy these). You will get 4k UR points from the purchase, which you can transfer to FlyingBlue.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

I think you misunderstood. Use your CSR to buy the Amex gift cards (you don't need an amex cc to buy these). You will get 4k UR points from the purchase, which you can transfer to FlyingBlue.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I still have to wait until the end of my next billing cycle to see these additional points? My current cycle just started. I would have enough points just with my normal monthly expenditure by next month anyways.

Let me ask in a slightly different way. How likely is it that these awards will no longer be available in a month? Keep in mind my travel date is March 2018. The routes I'm looking at:

KLM: CPH -> AMS -> IAH
Air France: CPH -> CDG -> IAH
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:39 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I still have to wait until the end of my next billing cycle to see these additional points? My current cycle just started. I would have enough points just with my normal monthly expenditure by next month anyways.

Let me ask in a slightly different way. How likely is it that these awards will no longer be available in a month? Keep in mind my travel date is March 2018. The routes I'm looking at:

KLM: CPH -> AMS -> IAH
Air France: CPH -> CDG -> IAH
That is true, you have to wait until the end of the cycle. I don't know much about FlyingBlue awards, so cannot say anything about availability. Might be a question to ask in one of the other threads or do some research by searching other dates.

If you want to lock it down immediately, then just buy the miles. Or maybe you have another chase card with a sooner closing date that you can use.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

That is true, you have to wait until the end of the cycle. I don't know much about FlyingBlue awards, so cannot say anything about availability. Might be a question to ask in one of the other threads or do some research by searching other dates.

If you want to lock it down immediately, then just buy the miles. Or maybe you have another chase card with a sooner closing date that you can use.
Great suggestion! I went and checked all of my Chase cards, turned out my Ink Plus' cycle is actually a few days later than my consumer Chase cards, which means I still have a couple of days til the end of the cycle. So I prepaid my phone bill online for the next few months. Hopefully that works. We'll find out in a couple of days!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:20 pm

Great suggestion! I went and checked all of my Chase cards, turned out my Ink Plus' cycle is actually a few days later than my consumer Chase cards, which means I still have a couple of days til the end of the cycle. So I prepaid my phone bill online for the next few months. Hopefully that works. We'll find out in a couple of days!
^
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I would get the tickets sooner than later. Do be aware that people have had issues before when they transferred a lot of points to a new FB account with no 'legit' activity, i.e. actual flights taken.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caliform
I would get the tickets sooner than later. Do be aware that people have had issues before when they transferred a lot of points to a new FB account with no 'legit' activity, i.e. actual flights taken.
Ah, that could be a problem. I just registered a new Flying Blue account a couple of days ago. Do you know if and how they got their issue resolved?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:16 pm

Ah, that could be a problem. I just registered a new Flying Blue account a couple of days ago. Do you know if and how they got their issue resolved?
I think you have to visit an office.

But I think your dilemma is better stated: is peace of mind worth $115 to you?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I think you have to visit an office.
I assume you mean the KLM office in AMS? They don't appear to have any offices in the USA.

But I think your dilemma is better stated: is peace of mind worth $115 to you?
Actually I think I figured out a solution. I have a Chase card that has a slightly later billing cycle date. So I made sure I'll have enough points on that card when the billing cycle ends in a day or two for the award redemption.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:32 pm

They appear to have some:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...rst-sometimes/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.