Voucher Instead of Cash for EC261 Compensation

Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Voucher Instead of Cash for EC261 Compensation

I see that both KLM and AF have the option of receiving an 800 Euro non-refundable "transportation credit voucher" in lieu of the 600 Euro cash payment.

Anyone know where I can find the terms of this voucher? I have an EC 261 situation, and would consider a credit voucher, depending upon its terms (e.g., can I use it to book online, if the fare is less than 800 EUR can I use the residual value on another flight, does the credit have an expiration date, can it be used for a different passenger than the one receiving the compensation?)

While it seems logical that if one is giving up a legal right to 600 Euro for something else, that the terms of this "something else" should be disclosed as part of the transaction - but I know in the airline world this is not how things always work.

Last edited by BigFlyer; Apr 8, 2017 at 12:56 pm
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
e.g., can I use it to book online, if the fare is less than 800 EUR can I use the residual value on another flight, does the credit have an expiration date, can it be used for a different passenger than the one receiving the compensation?)
Answers in the order of questions :
- yes
- yes
- yes (same expiry date for the residual credit as the original credit, i.e. 1 year)
- no, not anymore since march
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:26 pm

I see that both KLM and AF have the option of receiving an 800 Euro non-refundable "transportation credit voucher" in lieu of the 600 Euro cash payment.

Anyone know where I can find the terms of this voucher? I have an EC 261 situation, and would consider a credit voucher, depending upon its terms (e.g., can I use it to book online, if the fare is less than 800 EUR can I use the residual value on another flight, does the credit have an expiration date, can it be used for a different passenger than the one receiving the compensation?)

While it seems logical that if one is giving up a legal right to 600 Euro for something else, that the terms of this "something else" should be disclosed as part of the transaction - but I know in the airline world this is not how things always work.
We are on the same boat. Goldorak gave the same useful answer and I decided to request the voucher as one year validity period and being able to use the remaining credits for new flights same pretty good conditions taking into account those extra 200.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

I stumbled upon your thread after originally posting mine.

I'm contemplating taking the cash for my son's ticket as he travels less than I do - and the credit for myself.

I suppose given the one year limit on the voucher, it pays to wait a while to submit the claim unless one already has a trip contemplated.

Originally Posted by Pcsl
We are on the same boat. Goldorak gave the same useful answer and I decided to request the voucher as one year validity period and being able to use the remaining credits for new flights same pretty good conditions taking into account those extra 200.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
if the ticket price is less than 800 you cannot use it online i think because online it will cancel the remaining part. At least that's what i was told so i never tried. when i had a ticket that costs less the voucher's value i called to book and they created a new voucher with the remaining value. What is interesting is that the new voucher had again one new year of validity.
For my case i had voucher for a non working IFE in Feb 2016, i used half of it in September 2016, the other half has now a validity until September 2017.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These are a win-win for the regular traveler. If you do not contemplate the need for travel within the year, waiting to file your claim until you are within the year is a stroke of brilliance.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Well, that then brings up the question - how long from time of claim to issuance of voucher?

Originally Posted by Often1
These are a win-win for the regular traveler. If you do not contemplate the need for travel within the year, waiting to file your claim until you are within the year is a stroke of brilliance.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:15 pm

AF told me I just had 7 days from the depart of the flight to submit a claim BUT the EU law states that you have up to 10 years to submit that claim.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Do you have a link to the 10 year provision in EU law?

Originally Posted by Pcsl
AF told me I just had 7 days from the depart of the flight to submit a claim BUT the EU law states that you have up to 10 years to submit that claim.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Voucher Valid in Which Airlines?

I'm assuming the voucher is valid for any flights bookable with a KLM or Air France flight number, regardless of the operating carrier?

How about flights booked with AZ or DL flight numbers?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:55 pm

Do you have a link to the 10 year provision in EU law?
Actually it seems it depends on the country. It seems to range from 2-10 years. For UK it is 6 years.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I would seriously advise not to accept such vouchers.
The voucher can only redeemed with the issueing airline.

These vouchers are useless, if you catch a good on a codeshare (operated by the issueing airline, but sold by another airline) or if a consolidator (via an OTA) sells a good fare. Airline-owned booking sites do not see all available fares (which a Kayak meta search machine can see).

It's not 100% clear whether a phone booking will be waived if the voucher cannot be redeemed online.

A EUR 600 cash payment does not expire, can be booked for other people, can be used for other airlines (and codeshares) ..... etc etc
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by warakorn

These vouchers are useless, if you catch a good on a codeshare (operated by the issueing airline, but sold by another airline) or if a consolidator (via an OTA) sells a good fare. Airline-owned booking sites do not see all available fares (which a Kayak meta search machine can see).

It's not 100% clear whether a phone booking will be waived if the voucher cannot be redeemed online.

A EUR 600 cash payment does not expire, can be booked for other people, can be used for other airlines (and codeshares) ..... etc etc
Sure but if you already know you're going to be spending > €600 on a AF/KL flight later in the year, then suddenly the €800 voucher is a better option than €200 less in cash.

My mother and father for example were delayed last year because of mx in HKG and, already knowing they were going to go to back a few months later for a cruise but not having bought tickets for that yet, happily took the €800 voucher instead which covered the entire flight for both of them.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EUR 600 can be invested in stock which will grow in value over time and permit one to retire a very wealthy person if one is smart enough.

But, that is not the point.

For those who travel, know how to read the terms & conditions of a voucher (or other document) and understand their limitations, the variance represents very real value.

Whether the difference between the voucher and cash amount represents value to any given individual is a matter of personal travel habits and preference.

Rather than advising others to do or not do what I would do, I would advise others to consider the costs & benefits.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn

I can understand your point of view.

On the other hand I (I'm not the OP though) would accept a voucher as usually AF/KL offer good rates for my favorite destinations.

Apart from that, even if I know it's almost same, to me, if I receive a 600 compensation, I will be happy as I got 600 for free in my account but as I love to travel I know for sure I want to spend that extra 600 on buying a flight. When I buy the flight, I will be "sad" as I will be thinking I just spent 600 from my own money. However, if I decide to just accept the voucher, I won't feel "bad" when I use it to buy a flight because that money was never mine.
I know, I know, this is just psychological but I now MY mind would be like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.