Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Saphir not honoring a passenger with a disability - what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I have Cystic Fibrosis and must travel with a couple of nebulizers + loads of meds. In the past, Air France / Saphir has granted me the use of an extra piece of luggage for free, as is provided on their website. I emailed Saphir about an upcoming reservation requesting to have an extra piece of checked luggage for my medical supplies.

The email exchange was a complete mess, mostly because I was conversing with someone who clearly didn't speak English well. First, they said they did provide an extra piece of luggage for those with disabilities & asked what devices I'd be bringing. I informed her that I would be bringing the aforementioned things, to which she responded, "It is not possible to plug your nebulizer on board .This is why i asked you if you need to use it on board." This was after I told her I would be putting the nebulizers in my checked luggage.

Her response was, " The free supplementary baggage is authorized for the passengers requiring an assistance at the airport. In your case you need to buy an extra-luggage for your nebulizers."

I just don't understand this response as in the past, Saphir has had no problem with granting me another piece of luggage. I just went to the airport with my prescriptions and photos of my nebulizers, and they gave me another bag free of charge. Should I try to do the same on Monday morning? Is it worth giving them a call to see if they would reconsider?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by kthpence
Hi everyone,

I have Cystic Fibrosis and must travel with a couple of nebulizers + loads of meds. In the past, Air France / Saphir has granted me the use of an extra piece of luggage for free, as is provided on their website. I emailed Saphir about an upcoming reservation requesting to have an extra piece of checked luggage for my medical supplies.

The email exchange was a complete mess, mostly because I was conversing with someone who clearly didn't speak English well. First, they said they did provide an extra piece of luggage for those with disabilities & asked what devices I'd be bringing. I informed her that I would be bringing the aforementioned things, to which she responded, "It is not possible to plug your nebulizer on board .This is why i asked you if you need to use it on board." This was after I told her I would be putting the nebulizers in my checked luggage.

Her response was, " The free supplementary baggage is authorized for the passengers requiring an assistance at the airport. In your case you need to buy an extra-luggage for your nebulizers."

I just don't understand this response as in the past, Saphir has had no problem with granting me another piece of luggage. I just went to the airport with my prescriptions and photos of my nebulizers, and they gave me another bag free of charge. Should I try to do the same on Monday morning? Is it worth giving them a call to see if they would reconsider?
I would call directly with the airline so they can add these comments to your particular reservations and you don't end up having to argue your case at the checkin desk.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caliform
I would call directly with the airline so they can add these comments to your particular reservations and you don't end up having to argue your case at the checkin desk.
Thanks for your response. Do you think I should contact FlyingBlue (this was an award ticket), Air France, or Saphir for this?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What is Saphir?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What is Saphir?
In theory, it's an AF service that provides help to those with disabilities while they are traveling.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by kthpence
Thanks for your response. Do you think I should contact FlyingBlue (this was an award ticket), Air France, or Saphir for this?
Contact Air France. The airline is responsible for this end-to-end, and if you do need to talk to anyone else they'll be the ones to tell you who to talk to and what to do. Good luck and safe travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.