Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dropping a one-way award segment: consequences?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Dropping a one-way award segment: consequences?

Hi everyone,

I need to book a one-way from SIN to NCE (ideally TLN) and burning some FB miles is an option.

Upon searching awards on AF website I stumbled upon these results:
- SIN-CDG AF Y 45 000 miles + 72,61 EUR
- SIN-CDG/ORY-TLN AF Y 50 000 miles + 86,93 EUR
- SIN-CDG/ORY-NCE AF Y 50 000 miles + 86,93 EUR
- SIN-CDG-CAI AF Y 42 000 miles + 119,43 EUR
- SIN-CDG-BLR AF Y 34 000 miles + 139,05 EUR
- SIN-CDG-DEL AF Y 28 000 miles + 154,91 EUR
- SIN-CDG-BOM AF Y 22 500 miles + 139,05 EUR

Obviously a loophole in the system as I can fly from Southeast Asia to South Asia through Europe for a cheaper amount of miles than Southeast Asia to Europe.
FWIW it works also in J...

I am tempted to book the SIN-CDG-BOM award and simply drop the CDG-BOM leg. That way I can save up to 27 500 miles while forking an extra 52,12 EUR and book a cheap CDG-NCE separately.

What are the involved consequences to drop that segment? I will fly with carry-on only.

Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
That is kind of weird.

Are you sure that, if you processed the ticket, the price doesn't jump when it actually comes to take payment? Some of those routes are available on other, better routings. For instance, a random search for SIN-BOM shows SIN-CGK-BOM on GA for 20k+€103, SIN-CGK-BKK-BOM on GA for 30k+€127 as well as SIN-CDG-BOM on AF for 153k+€153 (Flex Award).

I would be afraid that, even if you do get your SIN-CDG-(wherever) for so cheap that you would later be moved to a "better" routing.

I would advise extreme caution here - be prepared to eat the €45 cancellation fee if, having changed you, you are unable to convince them to cancel for free. [I would not advise, if they did change your routing, ringing up and demanding the original routing, I would just try to cancel]

I would certainly also NOT put my FB number in the separate CDG-NCE booking as this advises them that you never had the intention of taking your out-of-the-way routing (or I would fly easyjet!)

The usual advice should apply here: doing it once should be OK...but if they see a pattern of such behaviour on your account, then you quite likely would end up having your account audited, and the miles adjusted to account for what you actually flew - or have heavier sanctions imposed.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 20, 2017 at 11:42 pm
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:28 am

That is a "loophole" indeed, don't forget that you will also have to travel only with carry-on luggage as whatever you will check in will be checked to your final destination.

And of course the usual caveat of flying on separate tickets, you will not be protected if you miss your CDG/ORY-NCE/TLN flight for any reason
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note also that if you cannot show documentary proof of an Indian ETA at check-in at SIN for a ticket to India you may be refused travel...

Note that this page seems to suggest that the Visa on Arrival must now be applied for via the ETA channel above, and 4 days before travel, so there does not seem to be a Visa on Arrival facility any more (not that it was open to French citizens to begin with, if that is your nationality)

As you are travelling to India, they *should* check your entitlement to travel there rather than leaving it to CDG....

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 21, 2017 at 4:04 am
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Or you book a flexible international ticket out of the Indian airport, show it at check-in, as long as you are eligible for international transit without visa.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by ranskis
Or you book a flexible international ticket out of the Indian airport, show it at check-in, as long as you are eligible for international transit without visa.
That is a risky one, AF might not accept that as from their point of view the final destination is India
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
That is a "loophole" indeed, don't forget that you will also have to travel only with carry-on luggage as whatever you will check in will be checked to your final destination.

And of course the usual caveat of flying on separate tickets, you will not be protected if you miss your CDG/ORY-NCE/TLN flight for any reason
Fully aware of these but thanks for reminding us

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Note also that if you cannot show documentary proof of an Indian ETA at check-in at SIN for a ticket to India you may be refused travel...
Thanks for that. Getting Indian e-visa as French citizen usually takes less than 24 hours in my recent experiences.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I tried booking the 22.5K miles HKG-CDG-BOM on a day 6 March when it shows availability, but the system refuses claiming that I have insufficient miles although I have many more.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by brunos
I tried booking the 22.5K miles HKG-CDG-BOM on a day 6 March when it shows availability, but the system refuses claiming that I have insufficient miles although I have many more.
Glitch is then confirmed
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
I cannot replicate that.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by bodory
I cannot replicate that.
DO you mean that you cannot book either? Or do you mean that you canot find this flight? Looking at one-way I get 20k for 3 March and 22.5k for 6 March; but cannot book.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

I cannot replicate the system refusing to book. I also have more than enough miles.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bodory
I cannot replicate the system refusing to book. I also have more than enough miles.
Have you actually booked, then?

(This is fun!!! )
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Obviously it is fun: sometimes those error fares happen to awards as well!

I didn't book since I eventually found a decent fare in J (900 EUR) from SouthEast Asia to CDG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.