Wiki Posts
Search

Oversold flight need to upgrade with Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB
Oversold flight need to upgrade with Miles

On my last flight with AF (YUL to CDG), at the registration desk, they immediately offered us (me and 3 other member of my family) to upgrade from Premium economie to Business for 95 000 miles. Because it was too expensive, we decline the offer. Once we declined the offer, the girl at the registration desk said that the flight was oversold and they had no more seat for us!
After a long time over the phone, she managed to secure 2 of our original seat in Premium economie and we were "forced" to upgrade with miles for the 2 other.
We also noticed that for the 4 tickets that I bought in the same time, and with the same ticket class, the number of miles to upgrade wasn't the same! For two people it was 25 000 miles, one was 35 000 and the other was 10 000.

Is anyone experienced that before?

After the flight, I send a message to AF in order to get back the 45 000 miles I paid. They said they will give each of us 15 000 miles (15 000 x 4 = 60 000 miles). However I got back only 15 000 instead of 45 000 miles.

Do you think I'll be able to get more than the 15 000 miles they said they give us?

Thanks,
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
W -> J upgrade with miles normally is: A fare = 30k, W fare = 22.5k, S fare = 15k. If I'm reading it right, you paid 45k miles, got 15k miles back, which is 30k miles for two persons => 15k miles per person, which is the cheapest way how to upgrade with the miles from W to J. IMO it's a deal
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: FB platinum
Originally Posted by Ni_CO
After a long time over the phone, she managed to secure 2 of our original seat in Premium economie and we were "forced" to upgrade with miles for the 2 other.
Why would you pay for an unwanted upgrade if the flight was oversold in W? They clearly had room in J, so they would have either upgraded the 4 of you for free, or other people.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lynxy
Why would you pay for an unwanted upgrade if the flight was oversold in W? They clearly had room in J, so they would have either upgraded the 4 of you for free, or other people.
In the past they would have did that. But now, because they offer the upgrade with the Miles, they try to sale you the upgrade.
If you say no and the flight is oversold then you have to wait and see if someone else upgrade with the miles so you can get their seats. But they try to sale you seats with miles because they oversold the flight.

I asked the question to see if someone else already have this issue.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
In the past they would have did that. But now, because they offer the upgrade with the Miles, they try to sale you the upgrade.
If you say no and the flight is oversold then you have to wait and see if someone else upgrade with the miles so you can get their seats. But they try to sale you seats with miles because they oversold the flight.

I asked the question to see if someone else already have this issue.
I've had many flights that were oversold... ungraded many times..or compensated to take later flight.. but have never been offered to pay with miles for an upgrade because Y (or PE) was oversold...
Would be interesting to know if it is becoming a normal practice..
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
This story is truly unbelievable and unacceptable...
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Goldorak
This story is truly unbelievable and unacceptable...
More unbelievable than unacceptable because it cannot be.

The story has no credibility.

The OP is either making the story up or he misunderstood the whole thing.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carnarvon

It could be... but I must say I had some VERY pushy DL agents trying to sell me an upgrade on KLM (out of JFK) last year. The flight was very much oversold in Y. They called me, had a piece of paper on which they had written down the number of miles in my account, and were not happy when I refused, and had to manually move me back to my seat Y on their computer because I wasn't willing to pay.
If they did the same thing to the OP, and he didn't know his rights and isn't familiar with IDB rules, it might very well be that they led him to believe he had no choice.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by toastedcafe
Would be interesting to know if it is becoming a normal practice..
If people jump onto these upgrades offers...

I'm sorry, but if someone is "forced" to upgrade, s(he) is rather gullible. Especially if it's a flight operated by an EU airline to an EU destination.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by WorldLux
If people jump onto these upgrades offers...

I'm sorry, but if someone is "forced" to upgrade, s(he) is rather gullible. Especially if it's a flight operated by an EU airline to an EU destination.
Honestly, with the EU flight regulations being so good as they are, I'd say it's not the passengers being gullible but the airline being unethical and borderline criminal. This is basically holding a passenger's travel plans hostage for a fee.

Don't want to pay us in miles / cash? Too bad, you'll have to take another flight. If I was OP I'd take this up with AF/KL support and go up the tree to the higher supervisors to get compensation.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

I came here to get some advise, and see if the 15 000 they gave us was acceptable. I don't have time to create a story!

As Oxymore said they have a paper with my number of miles and I have to sign it.
Also we didn't want to take another flight because we have to be at CDG the next day.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
I came here to get some advise, and see if the 15 000 they gave us was acceptable. I don't have time to create a story!

As Oxymore said they have a paper with my number of miles and I have to sign it.
Also we didn't want to take another flight because we have to be at CDG the next day.
I said either made up OR misunderstanding.

I'believe Oxymore ir right.

You did not HAVE to sign the paper. Had you stood firm, they would have accommodated you.

The airline behaviour was unacceptable and you have been naive. You should have been upgraded for free, not blackmailed / held at ransom to get onto the flight.

You should insist to get your miles back.

Last edited by carnarvon; Jan 18, 2017 at 9:58 pm
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
The airline behaviour was unacceptable and you have been naive. You should have been upgraded for free, not blackmailed / held at ransom to get onto the flight.

You should insist to get your miles back.
Completely agree. Complain as loud as you can. What would have happened if you didn't have miles ? Would you have been willing to pay (money) for the upgrade due to the overbooking (which is the airlines fault, not yours) ? In fact you have done this, your miles (earned by hard work) are equal to currency.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Just to let you know that I received a call from AF today. They will credit me back the 35 000 miles + an extra 15 000 for me and the 3 other members of my family that were flying with me.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Good to hear AF made it right. What terrible behavior from their ground staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.