Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancel award ticket booked prior to miles expiration?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Cancel award ticket booked prior to miles expiration?

I transferred thank you points to Flying Blue a while back but have not had any paid flights so under normal circumstances my miles will expire in May.

I am tempted to transfer more points to book a ticket for December now - however if I later decide to refund that ticket will Flying Blue refund the miles given that most of them would have expire in May had I not booked the ticket?

Any thoughts much appreciated!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
It's the beginning of January and you are considering a flight for next December....
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by sbams
It's the beginning of January and you are considering a flight for next December....
What's wrong with that ? Award flights are very frequently booked well in advance due to poor availability.

Originally Posted by jonathanev
I transferred thank you points to Flying Blue a while back but have not had any paid flights so under normal circumstances my miles will expire in May.

I am tempted to transfer more points to book a ticket for December now - however if I later decide to refund that ticket will Flying Blue refund the miles given that most of them would have expire in May had I not booked the ticket?

Any thoughts much appreciated!
no, your expired miles won't be re-credited. If your miles expire in may, you should have plenty of time to fly a cheap qualifying flight to reset the expiry date. It shouldn't be too difficult IMO.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:52 am
Original Poster

thanks for the response Goldarak - however I presume a date change post theoretical miles expiration would still be possible?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by jonathanev
thanks for the response Goldarak - however I presume a date change post theoretical miles expiration would still be possible?
I am not sure (no personal experience).
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I am not sure (no personal experience).
Once issued, the award ticket follows its own rules and the validity is 12 months from date of issue. You can make changes that are allowed by the rules. But any change that will require a redeposit of miles will not be possible.
I believe that you can change the date and destination within the same zone before departure and only the date after the first segment has been flown. But you have to be careful with the amount of miles used for the original booking. AFKL use varying levels of miles for each award. If you book a destination with a low level of miles and wish to change for a date with a higher level of miles, you will be in trouble (at least that's my belief).

https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/fly...ditions.htm#p9

Last edited by brunos; Jan 20, 2017 at 1:06 am
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You should not count on being able to change the ticket, so book only a trip you know you WILL take exactly as booked.

A redeposit of miles caused by a change request - whether it happens of necessity or laziness on the agent's part - will leave you with no miles and no ticket.

OR: take one level-mileage earning flight this very weekend
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:17 am
Original Poster

thanks everyone - I think it's pretty clear as Irish guy says that you can change the ticket date but not cancel it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.