Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with an FB reservation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Need help with an FB reservation

Not a regular here and need some help.

I am holding a MCO-LHR FB award with DL connecting in DTW for two pax ticketed in April for Easter 2017. Last night I got an email of schedule change. Upon checking the itinerary is not feasible: the DTW flight now leaves before the MCO-DTW flight.

I called FB and since the date is fully booked all they prepared to offer is to refund the miles+taxes. This is not an acceptable solution. I asked them to check in other buckets but the agent kept saying he can only book into the award inventory. Surely this is not true for an involuntary change?

Any advice on how to proceed? Perhaps call DL directly? But the ticket is issued by AF...
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:55 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
Not a regular here and need some help.

I am holding a MCO-LHR FB award with DL connecting in DTW for two pax ticketed in April for Easter 2017. Last night I got an email of schedule change. Upon checking the itinerary is not feasible: the DTW flight now leaves before the MCO-DTW flight.

I called FB and since the date is fully booked all they prepared to offer is to refund the miles+taxes. This is not an acceptable solution. I asked them to check in other buckets but the agent kept saying he can only book into the award inventory. Surely this is not true for an involuntary change?

Any advice on how to proceed? Perhaps call DL directly? But the ticket is issued by AF...
The ticket is issued by AF and it will be managed by AF , no need to call DL .

If they decided to refund it means that no other choices for what you requested at the time you want to fly (as award availability , surely it has to do with agreements between DL and AF)

Take your miles and try to book again , try to search something from an airport where AF or KL are flying like Miami or Atlanta, and dont forget that awards are subject to availability

If you cant change the dates buy a ticket by yourself , fore sure you will be able to find seats available for these flights/dates you wanted

Last edited by fifty_two; Dec 27, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Old Dec 27, 2016, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Really? Is that standard on AF? Don't they have a duty to rebook you on a suitable flight beyond the award bucket class if operational circumstances change? I tend to book a year out and I've had many award rescheduled in my life - not with AF - but I've always been able to pick alternative solutions following a schedule change even when no award inventory was available.

They have not decided to refund it. They offered me to. I still have the ticket which was ticketed six months ago.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:43 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Really? Is that standard on AF?
i guess no !

Don't they have a duty to rebook you on a suitable flight beyond the award bucket class if operational circumstances change?
There is a limit of time prior departure when they can cancel bookings without penalties , i guess its something like 3 weeks before flights

For sure they have a duty to rebook if your journey already started and irrops occured , because your ticket was issued by AF

I tend to book a year out and I've had many award rescheduled in my life - not with AF - but I've always been able to pick alternative solutions following a schedule change even when no award inventory was available.
As i said your issue may be caused by the fact that a part of your journey will be operated by DL (right ??) , if so check for availability from MIA to ATL.

When you book such award flight (or buy a codeshare ticket) , DL will charge AF for this , also i can guess that rebook you at the same dates would cost them too much money so they decided to cancel it

It depends on the agreements between DL and AF , and we will never know all details

They have not decided to refund it. They offered me to. I still have the ticket which was ticketed six months ago.
In my opinion , better to accept the refund and start your research , you still have 4 months
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Do not make the mistake to cancel this booking, because you'll be stuck with nothing. I am sure that, even in the case of an award ticket, they have the responsibility to rebook you.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Do not make the mistake to cancel this booking, because you'll be stuck with nothing. I am sure that, even in the case of an award ticket, they have the responsibility to rebook you.
Fully agree with with you and disagree with 52.

If they had decided to cancel then it would be another story, but they have issued a new ticket.

The new booking has to make sense.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I would either ask them what will happen if I board the first flight anyhow, or suggest an alternative routing or schedule.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

I said to the agent I would board the first flight and then what and let DTW sort it out on the day? And this is what I'd do with no hesitation; but the itinerary is for my wife with young daughter.

I have a ticket issued by them which they changed without consulting me. The agent offered to cancel and look for other options and I said no way - I have a valid ticket. I will board the flight.

I can't believe they can just go ahead and reroute like that. Don't they even check if the connection is valid?? There's plenty of flights on the day via a myriad of connections. I believe the agent when he says he finds no availability on awards; but that's precisely why I booked it 12 months out for a busy day on the Easter hols.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I believe the agent when he says he finds no availability on awards; but that's precisely why I booked it 12 months out for a busy day on the Easter hols.
Oh yes, the agent is for sure very honest when he/she said he sees no award inventory for rebooking. Your case is more complicated because we are talking about 3 seats. In this case, he/she has to escalate to revenue management in order to add some award inventory but they never like to do that. So I would use the strategy "hang up and call back" and eventually ask to speak to a supervisor.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Hang up and call again.

I have always found FB very flexible when an award flight was shifted or cancelled.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Yes I was thinking of calling back. But I am not sure they can push back the itinerary to DL. The agent made it sound like they have no power on them. And mco to LHR is a 3leg journey on af/kl upon I assume they can request seats to rev management.

Anyway I'll try calling back and will try calling DL if it fails. DL do have inventory on the day.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:56 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I do not think DL can do anything in this situation. Flying Blue will have to request DL to open award space, so that FB can rebook you. DL will not open award space if you contact them directly - especially because when they do, anybody can grab those seats - they may be long gone before the FB operator gets to rebooking you.

And I do agree with the above posts - you booked a valid itinerary, and it is up to them to rebook you on alternate flights. If this was a paid itinerary, without availability in the originally booked class on the new dates/flights, they would also rebook you in higher/more expensive classes without problem.

Having said that, I do not think they are required by law to accommodate you. In fact, they never are. The only resort is that, if departure is within 14 days, you are granted compensation - which would not be the case now.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:24 am
Original Poster

I will try to speak to them again. The agent said they cannot ask DL's RM to do anything. I am also looking at my travel insurance - it does not seem to deal with this case but it does not seem to be excluded directly.

The option of getting the first flight and walking to the counter and either ask them to sort it out or purchase cash and file a claim still stands.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
In this case, I think your best bet is to call DL directly and ask DL to update the PNR to a legal itinerary. Once the PNR is updated, you then call AF to re-validate/re-ticket.

In the ideally world, AF should have done all that. But they are too lazy to deal with it. That's why you have to deal with DL.

When you call DL, do not let them push you back to AF. Just state that DL's flight modification now makes the itinerary illegal. DL can (and will) open up space to correct your itinerary.

If you already have done your research, and happen to find a set of flights you would like to be on, it is preferable to mention it to the DL agent.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by geclub1
In this case, I think your best bet is to call DL directly and ask DL to update the PNR to a legal itinerary. Once the PNR is updated, you then call AF to re-validate/re-ticket.

In the ideally world, AF should have done all that. But they are too lazy to deal with it. That's why you have to deal with DL.

When you call DL, do not let them push you back to AF. Just state that DL's flight modification now makes the itinerary illegal. DL can (and will) open up space to correct your itinerary.

If you already have done your research, and happen to find a set of flights you would like to be on, it is preferable to mention it to the DL agent.
As said several times above, this is a FB award ticket and DL will never and cannot touch it. Telling OP to deal with DL is just asking him to waste his/her time.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:29 am

Programs: FB Club 2000, M&M Hon
Originally Posted by geclub1

Nonse to call DL and a waste of time to advise this to the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.