Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DTW Carry On Weight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

DTW Carry On Weight

We are flying MCI-DTW-CDG-AMM. The DTW-CDG-AMM is being operated by AF (MCI-DTW by Delta). Since Delta doesn't have a carry-on weight limit, I was hoping it would hold true for the AF portions, however looking online it looks like that might not be true (and that the limit is only 26 lbs?!). Since we're connecting at DTW, what are the odds of getting away with heavier carry-on bags?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:26 pm

Programs: FB (platinum for life), AAdvantage (exec platinum), Aeroflot Bonus (gold)
I think nobody will care at DTW. I'm pretty sure that AF is used to Americans who always try to bring a 25-kg suitcase as hand luggage Personally, I've never had any problems bringing stuff from the US.
However, I would be more concerned about the CDG connection. They might start annoying you at the gate and might force to check it in.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by chil
I think nobody will care at DTW. I'm pretty sure that AF is used to Americans who always try to bring a 25-kg suitcase as hand luggage Personally, I've never had any problems bringing stuff from the US.
However, I would be more concerned about the CDG connection. They might start annoying you at the gate and might force to check it in.
Indeed there is an entire thread about CDg size and weight checks including at the transit security, that's where your problem is far more likely to occur. Af hand luggage limits are clear and increasingly often strictly enforced.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
If you are flying Y, you are more prone to have eventually problems than if you fly J.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Jfultz81
We are flying MCI-DTW-CDG-AMM. The DTW-CDG-AMM is being operated by AF (MCI-DTW by Delta). Since Delta doesn't have a carry-on weight limit, I was hoping it would hold true for the AF portions, however looking online it looks like that might not be true (and that the limit is only 26 lbs?!). Since we're connecting at DTW, what are the odds of getting away with heavier carry-on bags?
Independent of what advice you get from others, if 26 lbs for the carry-on is not enough for you, I would strongly suggest you get an appointment with an orthopedician for immediately after your arrival in Amman. A massage alone will not suffice as, in addition to your shoulders, your Achilles tendons will also be severely affected.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
Independent of what advice you get from others, if 26 lbs for the carry-on is not enough for you, I would strongly suggest you get an appointment with an orthopedician for immediately after your arrival in Amman. A massage alone will not suffice as, in addition to your shoulders, your Achilles tendons will also be severely affected.
KLouis - We travel mostly carry-on and since we'll be gone almost a month, 26 lbs isn't much since it's your carry-on plus your personal bag. Between the bag weight itself, plus electronics, chargers, our DSLR camera and lens, plus almost two weeks of clothing, it adds up quickly!

I was afraid CDG would be the issue and I really don't want to have to worry about checking one of the bags. I guess we'll be doing a trial run this weekend to see just how much we can cram in!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
A month trip with only carry on? Just out of interest .... why not check a bag?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

We are checking one bag but we prefer to have most of our stuff with us. We've done long trips with only carry-ons before but never had to worry about the weight.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:47 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Jfultz81
We are checking one bag but we prefer to have most of our stuff with us. We've done long trips with only carry-ons before but never had to worry about the weight.
If you travel in Y without status, I would clearly worry. But more for the size of the carry-on more than the weight.
Even if I try to avoid checking bags, I would suggest you to put all your non-valuable items in a suitcase and check it through your final destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.