Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum line is great... (irony warning)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Platinum line is great... (irony warning)

As many of us know, since FB has created more platinum lines for platinum for life members in various European countries, the French number has been harsher in refusing to help non-French account holders.

So here I am calling the UK platinum line to try and book a OSL-CDG-NCE itinerary with OSL-CDG the first evening and the CDG-NCE less than 24 hours later but the next day that does not show online (in their great wisdom, FB IT people make it impossible to use the multi-city option to book AAA-CDG on day 1 and CDG-BBB on day 2, you can only use it for AAA-XXX, YYY-AAA, and the through itineraries do not show the options that I want). Both flights are available.

This is a simple connection with less than 24 hours in Paris, but the person quotes me the miles price of two tickets charging the cheaper rate times 2. I point out that it is just an allowable connection and should be priced as such but he says no because I am asking for a stopover. Still not losing my calm I point out that it is not a stopover since I'd only spend 20 hours between arrival and departure, but he answers that "the moment you pass 12 midnight it becomes a stopover". I point out that the website shows plenty of connections with the second flight the next day, correctly charged as a single connecting itinerary (just not the one that I want) and he answers "that's a mistake and the system would not let you book it".

Grrr....
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
HUACA: Hang up and call again.

Then ATSTAS: Ask to speak to a supervisor.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Yup, that's a textbook HUCA. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Good advice - I should have. Instead, he made a provisional booking, is checking "with the flying blue people" for the pricing and is calling me back tomorrow.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 3:13 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Book the overnight connection available online, go until payment page, don't pay, call the platinum line, ask to change the second segment to the one you want and pay on the phone, it might work fine.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Just to update - it took 5 phone calls (the second one was funny when the person claimed that the miles cost for OSL flights to Europe was about the same as to the US because "OSL is not in the list" for Europe) but it ended up working at the end.

Last edited by orbitmic; Oct 26, 2016 at 6:56 am Reason: I BA'ed my FB! :)
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Just to update - it took 5 phone calls (the second one was funny when the person claimed that the avios cost for OSL flights to Europe was about the same as to the US because "OSL is not in the list" for Europe) but it ended up working at the end.
That is funny. Since when does Flying Blue quote prices in Avios, and what is the exchange rate between Avios and FB miles?

Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
That is funny. Since when does Flying Blue quote prices in Avios, and what is the exchange rate between Avios and FB miles?

oopsie!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Oh my... poor you. This is so frustrating to talk to people who are 2/10 in being informed but 10/10 in energy to defend their point. Often combined with inability to understand simply yes/no questions and answering beside the point.

Indeed, just hang up.

Just out of curiosity: calling the French number wouldn't work? They really do refuse people whose account is not registered in France?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Just out of curiosity: calling the French number wouldn't work? They really do refuse people whose account is not registered in France?
Yes, they've refused to help me several times in the past Claimed they "couldn't" help but I know it was not true because some others have managed to help me in the past.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Interesting. As I remembered having read this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27293567-post94.html
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Interesting. As I remembered having read this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27293567-post94.html
Many thanks I didn't know. From the post you quote, it is a very recent change (1 September so less than 2 months ago, and I certainly didn't try them again that recently since I was rebuffed several times before and there seemed to be little point!) but a very welcome one, especially as the French number should be 24 hours. I certainly will give them a try again next time - at least if I can find the French number which doesn't show on our foreign cards!

PS: since this has changed, would it not make more sense for FB to tell eligible customers and not just their agents?!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue PFL, Eurostar Carte Blanche, Marriott Platinum
... I certainly will give them a try again next time - at least if I can find the French number which doesn't show on our foreign cards!
Hi orbitmic, you can find the Plat line numbers of all the countries, France included, in the contact section of the AF app.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDGcommuter
Hi orbitmic, you can find the Plat line numbers of all the countries, France included, in the contact section of the AF app.
thanks! just had a look and i'm offered mobile assistance starting +33969... which doesn't sound right, or book flights: 36 54 which is definitely wrong and unreachable from outside france! am I missing something obvious?

(ps: i'm correctly logged in and plat status correctly showing).
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue PFL, Eurostar Carte Blanche, Marriott Platinum
I'm not really good at inserting images :-) but I will try to guide you:
contact ("Nous contacter"), the following scren should give you "Contacts in France" followed by "Other contacts". If you click on "Contacts in France", it gives you "Your dedicated line, accessible 24/7" and if you click on that your phone should compose the number, which starts as +33 1 49... and connect you directly to the Plat line where they should already know who's the caller. I have an iPhone, not sure if on other phones is different. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.