Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is premium economy on AF worth it

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Is premium economy on AF worth it

Just checking in with a few others here to see if premium economy is worth the money over regular cattle class. I see the price difference is about $350 each way. I am buying tickets for a family of 3. I think cattle class only gets 50% of the miles too
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:00 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mattack4000
Just checking in with a few others here to see if premium economy is worth the money over regular cattle class. I see the price difference is about $350 each way. I am buying tickets for a family of 3. I think cattle class only gets 50% of the miles too
There are different opinions about Premium Economy. Personally, I like it because of the personal space, the fact that no one is reclining and that I don't bother anyone reclining, and because it is a much more quiet cabin. In terms of comfort, the seats are not the most comfortable ones, but I manage to sleep well on them.

For those who don't have status, Premium Economy also includes SkyPriority access.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: FB Gold
For me it was not worth it, I managed to upgrade in the lounge from W to J on the CDG-YVR stretch for only 10000 FB points. On the way back I was not so lucky. Those PE seats are horribly hard seats with no recline (just the bottom part that shoves forward 3 inches). Did not get any sleep. Keep the money in your pocket is my advise.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by mattack4000
If you can afford it, go for it! It really is a whole lot nicer than any seat in economy. Also indeed, you will earn a lot more miles and if you have BlueBiz, you could rack up quite a few credits for your business.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:48 pm

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Another perspective: It puts you in a much better position with regard to day-of-departure or OLCI upgrades. Less miles or cash needed to upgrade to bizz.

Regarding miles earning: Eco can actually be as low as 25% on low end fare classes while you'll earn 100 - 125% in PE, depending on the fare you pick.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:57 pm

Don't like the hard seats with no recline.

The premium paid is basically for the better cabin
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:15 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF Gold
I personally would go for it as you have more space and the cabin is quieter. The seats are ok, even if I would prefer this one from LH as it has more recline.

On the other side it depends on the duration of your flight and length and purpose of the overall trip. If your budget is tight, then you could also consider to spend the money on a more decent hotel or nicer restaurants etc.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
I'd certainly go with premium economy, it's reasonable for what you pay (if the fare is discounted). Not as cramped, seats are wider and each pax has their own armrest for both hands, nobody bothers you with recline and you get the miles.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
As others have pointed out, one of the most person-specific questions. On the whole, I'd say that people who want to pay more to be in a more exclusive, smaller cabin or more legroom love it, those who want to pay more for a more comfortable recline hate it.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
I would not hesitate for a daytime flight, especially if you need to work.
You are ensured to get enough space to put your computer and even a mouse, and type without being cramped.
For a night flight, I would not pay that premium unless you are less than 5"5ft tall.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
First , I am a "fan" of the PE.
If the cost for the PE is 350$ it is 1 questions you must ask yourself.
Why?
If you take it only for the additional comfort, I will say no (it depend also the flight time and how many flights).
If you are a platinum or gold (or want to be one) and want many miles, it CAN be a good option.
- What is the distance you will travel ?
- For 350$CAD (+- 260USD). I can have a 20K miles (in PE one way). In Eco it give me around 5,000 miles, in PE 20,000 miles, for my status. I am platinum,in PE this give me a total of 40,000 mile for my account
- most of the time both are 25% (eco) and 100%(PE). This is a good deal if you want mile for your status (depending the distance you flight).
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
When it comes to market segmentation, it certainly 'works' on me: tickets back home from SF to Europe are about 400-600$ more in Premium Economy for me vs. the V economy fares. As I only earn 25% miles on the V fare, and I prefer a good quiet time, better seats and such it's easily worth it for me.

But your mileage may vary.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by olivedel
I would not hesitate for a daytime flight, especially if you need to work.
You are ensured to get enough space to put your computer and even a mouse, and type without being cramped.
For a night flight, I would not pay that premium unless you are less than 5"5ft tall.
I recently flew to Canada, outbound in PE in the day (absolutely fine, plenty of space) and back in the "old" J.
I felt the difference between the old J and PE was not that different in terms of seat comfort, but each one is infinitely more comfortable than Y, IMO.
If course, it's all personal. Some people can sleep in any seat; others can hardly even sleep in the J seats.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
I felt the difference between the old J and PE was not that different in terms of seat comfort
you can't be serious, right ?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
you can't be serious, right ?
I am. I was in the front row of PE on the way out and front row of J on the way back. It was my first time on the 'old' J, having enjoyed the new J on previous flights. I couldn't sleep properly on the angled seat, I felt like I was sliding downwards. Again, maybe it's a personal thing but I really did feel the old J wasn't much of a step up from PE on the 777, except for the service of course!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.