Wiki Posts
Search

Rerouting help, please

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH Miles-and-More
Rerouting help, please

Firstly, I'm a newbie here, so please forgive inappropriate questions.
Could I ask some experienced air travellers about this potential problem: next week I'm due fly from China to southern Europe with a connection in Paris CDG. The strike situation in France is gathering momentum right now, and there is a strong possibility that CDG will not operate next week, or will not operate normally. My ticket is issued by KLM, outward flight Air France, return flight next week on a codeshare flight Air France/China Eastern aircraft for leg 1 and Air France aircraft for leg 2.
In case of flight delay due to strike action in France:
Is any one of the air companies involved obliged to re-route me, and if so, when? Before the time of my booked flight, or after a certain delay? There is an alternative route available via Amsterdam, and all airlines involved are members of the Flying Blue grouping.
If need and obligation exist, do I contact KLM, Air France or China Eastern about re-routing?
I've tried to resolve the question by referring to regulation EU2004-261:
"The Regulation applies to operating air carriers licensed in a Member State of the EU (Community carrier) flying from outside the EU into the EU and to passengers (including non- EU citizens) using such flights."
but I cannot acertain that Chinese Eastern is a
'community carrier' meaning "an air carrier with a valid operating licence granted by a Member State in accordance with the provisions of Council Regulation (EEC) No 2407/92 of 23 July 1992 on licensing of air carriers."

Could anyone please clarify? I don't want to panic at the last moment and need to travel on time to Europe. Thanks
Old May 27, 2016, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
A strike is usually considered an exceptional event, and means that EC261/2004 does not apply.

Originally Posted by European Commission
You don't even know for sure that there will be a strike - and there probably won't. Just keep an eye on the Air France website - you will be bound by whatever rebooking conditions they publish should your journey be affected by strikes.

Last edited by irishguy28; May 27, 2016 at 12:47 am
Old May 29, 2016, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Barcelonatreasa
...but I cannot acertain that Chinese Eastern is a 'community carrier' meaning "an air carrier with a valid operating licence granted by a Member State in accordance with the provisions of Council Regulation (EEC) No 2407/92 of 23 July 1992 on licensing of air carriers."...
Any airline that flies commercially from outside, into the EU and vice-versa has a valid operating licence. Really, no reason for panicking!
Old May 29, 2016, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
Any airline that flies commercially from outside, into the EU and vice-versa has a valid operating licence. Really, no reason for panicking!
But EC261 only applies in case of:
1. EU carrier
2. Non-EU carrier if flying from the EU.

So a China Eastern flight from China to the EU does not fall under EC261
Old May 29, 2016, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I heard on the radio today that the fuel blockades in France may start to affect supplies of aviation fuel - so there may very well be disruption to the OP's travel plans!
Old May 29, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: Flying blue
I'm supposed to be travelling to paris next week, in the words of groundskeeper Willie, damn those cheese eating surrender monkeys!

And hardly exceptional circumstances when either French or Spanish have a strike every other year. It's more surprising not to have a strike one year.
Old May 29, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The strike situation in France is gathering momentum right now, and there is a strong possibility that CDG will not operate next week
Actually, there is about 0.000001% chance of that. It has never been the case that the airport shuts down as a result of the strike and I'd be ultra-massively surprised if it did this time. Delays and cancellations are, however, not out of the question but do know that typically when cancellations are in order, airlines are asked to cancel x % of their flights and they virtually always go for some short haul flights so worst comes to the worst, your long haul from China would operate and you might have to wait a bit longer for the connection to wherever it is you are going (if it is Barcelona, the wait certainly won't be long!)

In case of flight delay due to strike action in France:
Is any one of the air companies involved obliged to re-route me, and if so, when? Before the time of my booked flight, or after a certain delay? There is an alternative route available via Amsterdam, and all airlines involved are members of the Flying Blue grouping.
No, airlines are not obliged to reroute you in case of delay. They do only in case of cancellation. If there is a long delay and a faster routing, there is certainly no harm in asking if you could be put on another flight but that would be a gesture of goodwill.

Being members of Skyteam (rather than Flying Blue which MU is not part of even though it is a partner) is rather irrelevant. AF would likely happily reroute you on KL or DL on relevant itineraries but rarely on other ST members. I have no idea if MU would consider a rerouting and on which airline.

All you can do at this stage is keep an eye on things and check that your flights are not cancelled. If they are, call your TA (or whoever you bought the ticket from) immediately, if not, just keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best and if there is an issue it will be best dealt with at the airport.

As mentioned, as MU is not an EU carrier and your flight into Europe is not covered by EC261/2004 (which, in the case of a long delay or cancellation due to a strike would entitle you to a right of care, e.g. hotel, meals, etc but not compensation).
Old May 29, 2016, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH Miles-and-More
I really appreciate your comments and they've helped to clarify the situation. It's now clear that my flight isn't covered by the EU 261 provisions, and as orbitmic says, I must hope for the goodwill of the airlines in case of long delay. I wasn't interested in compensation, just in getting back on time.
For anyone else who might be flying via Paris at the weekend, the news at the moment is, according to goneonstrike website:
" French air traffic control strike
Heads up. All right the plan is in and vague.
Strike starts Friday, June 3, 2016 at 6am (local time)
and ends 6am Monday morning the 6th June.
More workers are expected to attend this strike action. Along with this you will have to deal with a national rail strike. We will update as news comes in. Monday afternoon a meeting is planned."
As reported, today's (Monday May 30) meeting may change this. Wish me luck!

Last edited by Barcelonatreasa; May 29, 2016 at 9:50 pm Reason: correction
Old May 30, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium; All Gold, A3 Gold, Safar Flyer Gold (OW Sapphire)
I'm french and honestly CDG works during strikes, don't be afraid.
Even you can't have your flight to Paris KLM can put you on the Thalys(Tgv)
Old May 30, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AurelAF96
I'm french and honestly CDG works during strikes, don't be afraid.
Except for when Air France pilot stikes lead to a drop in profit!

Originally Posted by Bloomberg
Air France-KLM Group profit fell almost 15 percent last year after the longest pilot strike in the airline’s history and as overcapacity on routes to Asia and Africa damped ticket prices.
And those very same pilots have today voted for further strike action

Originally Posted by Reuters
Pilots at Air France have voted in favour of strike action over pay conditions, the head of the SNPL union said on Monday.

SNPL chief Philippe Evain said more than two thirds of the union's pilots with Air France approved the principle of a lengthy strike but said that no date had been set for the walkout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.