Wiki Posts
Search

Flight starting at ZYR with train to AMS - stamped train ticket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
Flight starting at ZYR with train to AMS - stamped train ticket

I have a KLM ticket originating from Brussels South train station (ZYR), where the first segment is operated by train to AMS. I expected that I will need to check in at ZYR and planned accordingly, even though going to Brussels is a detour. This is certainly the case when the first segment is ZYR - CDG, where there's an Air France desk at the station.

However, I just found out that the procedure is different when the first leg is ZYR - AMS. According to the KLM website, I will pick up my train ticket at the Departure Today zone. The website then says:

"Save your stamped train ticket: if you have a flight after having travelled part of the way by train, you will have to present your train ticket at the check-in desk at the airport."

https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/pla...cket/index.htm

Now, this suggests that if I check in online and travel with cabin baggage only, I won't come across any agents to actually check my stamped train ticket - so I could go directly to AMS without taking the train from ZYR first. Or will they check the train ticket at the gate? Has anyone done this before?

Last edited by Myyra; Apr 1, 2015 at 10:09 am
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: FB Platinum
I believe such an itinerary does not allow OLCI in the first place.
Even if you manage to OLCI, I would not suggest you risk it. My experience (although solely based on ZWE) is that your train ticket is only issued when you visit the counter; and if you no show, the system will have no record of your train ticket ever being issued.

OTOH I always skip the AMS-ZWE leg without problem (although a retro-claim is needed for the miles to post).
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:33 am

same here, the web-site does not allow online check-in for the train to/from AMS. train tickets need to be collected at the counter (in ZYR, ZWE, AMS).
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:38 am
Original Poster

OK, I've completed the trip and here's what happened:

My itinerary was ZYR - AMS - NBO. I could online check-in for AMS-NBO, but not for ZYR - AMS.

I collected my train ticket at the train ticket desk at Brussels-Midi. This is different than taking the train ZYR - CDG, in which case tickets are collected at AF's desk at Brussels-Midi.

I had no checked luggage. At AMS, I went straight to the gate. The agents there checked my AMS - NBO boarding pass, and didn't ask to see the train ticket as proof of having originated the journey at ZYR. This means that in this instance, I would be able to originate my journey at AMS, without taking the train from Brussels. Of course it depends on the diligence of the gate agent.

Last edited by Myyra; Apr 15, 2015 at 4:08 am
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Myyra
The agents there checked online my AMS - NBO boarding pass, and didn't ask to see the train ticket as proof of having originated the journey at ZYR. This means that in this instance, I would be able to originate my journey at AMS, without taking the train from Brussels. Of course it depends on the diligence of the gate agent.
Or it means that the system had received confirmation otherwise that you had indeed collected your ticket at ZYR.

I'm surprised that you were able to check in online. But having a boarding pass does not necessarily mean that it will scan correctly at the gate, or that you will indeed be allowed to travel.

To anyone else reading this: Don't expect to be able to turn up at AMS on the day and fly without having first collected your train ticket at ZYR. Chances are that it won't work for you.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Or it means that the system had received confirmation otherwise that you had indeed collected your ticket at ZYR.
That's possible, but IMO not likely. The train ticket is collected at the regular train ticket desk in Brussels. I highly doubt that their system is connected with KLM's DCS.

KLM's own website says: "Save your stamped train ticket: if you have a flight after having travelled part of the way by train, you will have to present your train ticket at the check-in desk at the airport."

Again, it's different when traveling by train from Brussels to Paris CDG, in which case it's necessary to check in at Air France's desk at Brussels Midi.

I'm not saying that this will always work and probably wouldn't risk losing my flight - just reporting my experience.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 7:30 am

Would you be able to pick up your train ticket the day before?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by erik123
Would you be able to pick up your train ticket the day before?
I tried to do this the night before, but it wasn't possible. Had to line up at 5:30am on the day of travel as the train was an early one.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 6:32 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Indeed, nowadays you can only pick up the ticket on the day of departure.

I did find out recently that an Air-rail ticket allows you to take an earlier train free of charge, you only have to ask the conductor. If there are no seats, you have to stand (which is not too bad for the 55 mins trip).
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Gajan
Indeed, nowadays you can only pick up the ticket on the day of departure.

I did find out recently that an Air-rail ticket allows you to take an earlier train free of charge, you only have to ask the conductor. If there are no seats, you have to stand (which is not too bad for the 55 mins trip).
Likewise, on the return leg you can take a later train (any train that day) and they will give you a ticket without seat allocated.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gajan
If there are no seats, you have to stand.
Gets you in the right mood for a KL flight in coach.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.