Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Europa operated by LOT??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Question Air Europa operated by LOT??

Hi all,

I've just been doing some 'exploratory' searches for biz-class trips, EUR-MIA; cheapest fares coming up from matrix/ITA and Expedia are (for example): FCO-MAD-MIA on UX stock (circa £1,200). In itself, not bad!

However, I'm confused with the details given! Both sites show the MAD-MIA (and v.v.) flights (UX 97/98) as "Operated by LOT!" Is this real? Or is it a quirk of the flight database? (The flight numbers don't look like codeshares to me.)

If real, then what's LOT doing flying MAD-MIA? And, as far as I can tell, LOT do not have MIA as a destination.

Furthermore, what are the implications regarding earning Flying Blue miles? (UX only earns on flights operated by Air Europa!)

-- Henry
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
It's just a wet lease of a LOT 787 to UX. So no consequence for your FB earning. It remains a UX flight with the usual rules.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
More details here :
http://airlineroute.net/2015/01/05/ux-lo787-s15update2/
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
LOT’s Dreamliner will fly for Air Europa to both America continents!

Originally Posted by LOT

Warsaw, December 5, 2014 - LOT Polish Airlines signed a one-year contract for the lease of one of the Dreamliner aircrafts for Spanish airline Air Europa. This is another such action helping LOT utilize its long-haul fleet in the most efficient way. This is one of points of the Restructuring Plan approved by the European Commission and being consistently implemented by LOT.

From April 2015, LOT’s Boeing 787 Dreamliner will operate on regular Air Europa flights from Madrid to New York and Montevideo.

“Leasing the Dreamliner results directly from the Restructuring Plan that we have been consistently implementing. By the end of 2015 LOT cannot launch any new connections in its network due to the public aid received in 2012”- says Sebastian Mikosz, CEO, LOT Polish Airlines. “However despite the limitations, we are working hard to boost effective use of our long-haul fleet and thus improve financial results of our company. This cooperation proves also LOT’s flexibility in business activities and great trust of the market” - Sebastian Mikosz added.

LOT has already a rich experience in leasing Boeing 787 aircrafts to other carriers. Dreamliners in LOT colours are highly appreciated and thus have been, among others, leased by Finnair. They also operated on scheduled flights for Norwegian and on ad hoc charter flights to Brazil during the FIFA World Cup and to Chile for KGHM. For the second year in a row, during the winter season, they are operating charter flights for the largest Polish tour operators, flying to the most attractive and remote exotic tourist destinations in the world.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by irishguy28
The LOT lease to UX for MVD and NYC has been canceled. Only the MIA route is now concerned.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I know. That press release was dated 5 December, and the information was correct at the time of publication. It was not until January of this year that the news of UX changing its mind on the routing was published.

The title of the press release "escaped" out of the quotation box - that was my mistake. All that text was LOT's - none of it was mine!
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by irishguy28
All that text was LOT's - none of it was mine!
I know and it's no problem
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
It's just a wet lease of a LOT 787 to UX. So no consequence for your FB earning. It remains a UX flight with the usual rules.
Are you really, really sure? UX are notorious on this forum for using any means possible to avoid awarding FB miles!

If it's a wet lease, then the crew will be LOT, and so the flight is truly "operated by" LOT; so UX (or FB) would/could argue that the flights do not qualify under the published terms! (Even though it's not a codeshare.)

Also (again, not unusual), the UX and FB websites disagree over what the earnings rate is: the UX website proudly claims that business class earns 150 - 200%, whereas the FB site states 100% (C, D, I) or 150% (J) for l/h biz!

I'll probably look for other options: AZ used to do MIA, but can't find a quote just now; or maybe a weird route via MEX or some such? In my situation (status chasing), 13,000+ level miles is a lot to gamble with!

Anyway, thanks for the information, folks.

-- Henry
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A wet lease is intended to be "invisible" to the consumer.

Even in the "Generous by Nature" FFP, it would be rather disingenuous for FB to refuse mileage credits. Afterall, you cannot claim miles from LOT or any other Star Alliance programme for these flights.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Henry III
AZ used to do MIA
They still do (AZ630 - I think 3XW, which will become a daily service with the summer schedule).

G
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Henry III
Are you really, really sure? UX are notorious on this forum for using any means possible to avoid awarding FB miles!

If it's a wet lease, then the crew will be LOT, and so the flight is truly "operated by" LOT; so UX (or FB) would/could argue that the flights do not qualify under the published terms! (Even though it's not a codeshare.)
Yes, I'm sure sure sure
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Be very careful of which plane operates your UX flight.
Business class in UX A330 is really bad. The pitch is only 51 and recline is poor. Soft product very poor for international business class.
Apparently the leased LOT 787 has flat beds. You will be very unhappy if UX substitute one of its own plane on your route.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
Be very careful of which plane operates your UX flight.
Business class in UX A330 is really bad. The pitch is only 51 and recline is poor. Soft product very poor for international business class.
Apparently the leased LOT 787 has flat beds. You will be very unhappy if UX substitute one of its own plane on your route.
Good point, Sir! The LOT 787 does look very nice (especially if it has Polish crew) but, as you say, a 'last-minute' change to UX metal/crew/service would be a real kick in the shins. Also, the mileage would (probably) be only 100% for UX discount biz-class.

If I do this MIA trip, I'm leaning more and more towards AZ (decent price "I" class from LIN, for example), which gives the 150% earnings; and I've also heard that AZ long-haul biz is very nice indeed! (I've yet to experience either UX or AZ l/h J cabins.)

-- Henry
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: AZ CFP, Aegean Miles&Bonus Gold, Iberia Clasica, FB ivory, Miles&More Blue, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Ux 97/98 AND Miles...

hi all, new for posting but reading often the forum.
I am just back from Miami with the UX97 and UX98, from Milan Malpensa through Barajas.
First a summary of flight experience>

A) The 787 is pretty nice, cool the windows (you can regulate the light), the seats are great and fully flat.
Air Europa Service is good enough, food is average I would say.
Entertainment system is pityful, with no more than 10 movies and still having LOT Interface. They said they would upgrade it in few weeks.
Now the crew is almost entirely Spanish with Air Europa uniforms and a LOT tagname. On each flight there was a Polish absolutely not speaking Spanish.

B) Don-t remember if it was a 737/800 but the business class from/to Milan was very uncomfortable.

C) Lastly I didn-t have the time to go lounge in Madrid, in Miami was shameful (not necessarily Air Europa fault) and the Airport terminal (F if I remember well) not really seemed like a U.S. one, but rather an undevelopped country small airport with two shops, a pizza hut and a mini duty free.

Now the main issue, the miles:
I am Freccia Alata Plus with AZ (Platinum), so I counted to get my miles on this flights. My fault, I didn-t notice that AZ doesn-t credit miles on class I of Air-Europa...the ticket costed 1560Eur, paid by the company as it is a business trip, but still.

I am just ivory in FB, but I see they would credit class I (100%), so today [I] sent my miles request.
I had an initial problem: I didn-t keep nor had a boarding card for one flight (Madrid-Miami).
I would need to wait a week to ask for the return ticket mileage, but I go the answer from FB in few hours, they credited the Mil-Mad, but they say they cannot credit Mad-MIA.
I have the suspect, it is not for my lost boarding card, as I believe they would credit also just with the electronic receipt and I think it has not been credited because of the fact that is operated by LOT.
As somebody say, I think there are also few chances, or no way to get the miles on Star Alliance.
All in all, it was cool to try the 787, it was worth the inflight time, but for the rest a big disaster...
Cheers
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Thanks for the feedback

Originally Posted by Balynonline
I have the suspect, it is not for my lost boarding card, as I believe they would credit also just with the electronic receipt and I think it has not been credited because of the fact that is operated by LOT.
As somebody say, I think there are also few chances, or no way to get the miles on Star Alliance.
I doubt it. It is important to remember that this flight is not operated by LOT in the way you mean it here. It's not a code-shared flight. It's a "pure" UX flight and UX is leasing another carrier's plane to operate it because they are short of their own planes.
And even if it was a code-share, FB being the FFP of UX, you would be able to credit such a flight to FB, if booked under UX code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.