Search

What became of VLM?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
What became of VLM?

I am a bit confused here. VLM was a partner of Air France and Flying Blue in recent history, right? Then, I thought it got swallowed into something else, maybe CityJet, in some sort of merger that seemed to drag on (with, as I remember, VLM and Air France CityJet flight numbers concurrently on the LON-AMS route). So it seems to still exist, somehow. They are offering incredibly reasonably priced flights between Geneva and Antwerp, and it seems to be the only route that they offer. Could it be that it is a charter company now?

(in French only)
http://www.gva.ch/en/desktopdefault....39_read-15003/

http://flyvlm.com/

(MODs, maybe this might be more appropriate in the Other European Airlines forum if it really has nothing more to do with Flying Blue?)
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
See their website:

Originally Posted by VLM
VLM reborn

In 2014, VLM Airlines became part of the INTRO Group. INTRO Aviation GmbH is a family-owned company and part of the INTRO Group, which has over 40 years of aviation experience. VLM Airlines continued to grow a substantial charter business based at Antwerp International Airport, which has shown dramatic growth year on year. In November 2014, VLM Airlines was sold by the INTRO Group to the management of VLM Airlines. As a truly independent airline, VLM Airlines will continue to offer ACMI & Charter services alongside scheduled services.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: FB Silver. Some hotel programs. More interested in cheap travel than points accrual.
KLM-Air France sold City Jet to Intro Aviation, this included VLM
The management of VKM did a management buy-out in October last year.
Now they are starting with a regular connection with Geneva. Weekdays only. Although they are considering a Sunday evening flight to facilitate skiing trips.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Apparently, WX flights from ORY to LHR are silll operated by VLM.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: Many
LCY unless I am mistaken?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That's interesting. It's not often that a small airline that has been amalgamated into something else gets to strike out on its own. A bit like CityJet, which I never thought would try to carve out its own existence.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You clearly know nothing of CityJet, then, and how this gutsy little airline struggled right from day 1.

I'd really recommend you read Pat Byrne's book on the early days of CityJet. A great read, cos it's a great story! (The ending is not so good, though )

Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh thanks very much, I really appreciate that. It will make for an interesting read and contrast to my usual line-up of reading (music biographies, American fiction, French classics!).

I don't know much about CityJet indeed, but I know it is an Irish carrier based in Dublin and back in the Fréquence Plus days they were a partner and had one flight with their own WX code which connected Dublin with Malaga (there was a nice Celtic style logo in those days). Then it got swallowed into Air France and started operating a base at LCY under the Air France by CityJet brand, which didn't seem to work out as everyone hoped (there were some interesting routes, such as Dundee, but I'm not sure how Scotairways fit into the picture: did Air France or CityJet take them over?).

Then there was a thread here on this forum about how Air France divested itself of CityJet, and how CityJet became independent again and was no longer a Flying Blue partner. That made for very interesting reading, given the high quality nature of posts here, although I did not have anything to contribute to it myself. But I still wasn't sure how VLM fit into the picture. You've got to admit, for a layman it's pretty confusing!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anna.aero

On 26 January, Geneva Airport welcomed with a press conference the arrival of VLM from Antwerp, a sector served 10 times weekly by the airline’s Fokker 50s. Celebrating the achievement are: Alix de Weerdt, COO, VLM; Yves-Daniel Viredaz, Head of Marketing, Geneva Airport; Sophie Velders, Deputy Airport Commander, Antwerp Airport; and Eric F. Kohn, Member of the Board, VLM.

VLM, also known as Flemish Air Transport Company, added a new international route from Antwerp (ANR) on 26 January, when it introduced twice-daily (Monday to Friday) flights to Geneva (GVA). The 564-kilometre sector to the second most populous city in Switzerland will be operated utilising the airline’s 50-seat Fokker 50s. No other airline connects these two points. Antwerp Airport’s only other year-round scheduled service is to London City Airport, operated by VLM on behalf of CityJet. Flybe’s service from Antwerp to London Southend (operated by Stobart Air) which launched on 1 September 2014 was terminated on 18 January 2015. Commenting on the route launch Arthur White, CEO of VLM, said: “Today’s move back into scheduled services, with these new flights, is a landmark achievement for VLM. We now offer scheduled flights with the same exceptional standards for which we are already well-known in our established ACMI and charter operations. Unsurprisingly, given that both Antwerp and Geneva are major business centres with international reputations, tickets are already selling fast. We know these services are going to prove very popular.”
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by bodory
LCY unless I am mistaken?
Indeed, sorry for the typo.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
(...)
The portly gentleman in that picture looks positively unhappy about the situation!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

VLM files for bankruptcy protection

Belgian regional VLM Airlines has confirmed it has filed for bankruptcy. “All flights are canceled with immediate effect,” VLM said in a statement June 22.

The carrier had filed a formal application in May asking for creditor protection for six months to avoid bankruptcy. However, the company said it did not have enough time in those six months to compensate for the number of pilots who left the carrier and bring in additional financial resources.

Also, a planned sale-leaseback deal for several aircraft in its fleet had failed because VLM would have needed at least two or three additional months for a successful re-capitalization.
(ATWOnline)
Attached Images  
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Their website, flyvlm.com, has already been taken offline.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Very sad but not surprising unfortunately. Any impact on WX ? I have to say, I am not sure about the current links between WX and VLM since AF/KL sold their stake.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Amazing that the website has already gone, they could have at least posted a message on it saying that time's up. A shame, but wholly expected, I think. I posted about it over in the Other European Airlines forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.