Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

AF flight booked on LH ticket (rerouted during LH strike) - able to get FB miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF flight booked on LH ticket (rerouted during LH strike) - able to get FB miles?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb

During the LH strike i was rebooked and one of the flights was on AF. As i did not see the miles apearing in my FB account, i tried a missing mileage claim but that already failed at the first step where i had to enter the ticket number (since it's an LH ticket).

So, i contacted customer services and attached a scan of the boarding pass. The reply i got was that i would not get miles as it's a LH ticket. Are they correct?

thanks
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by a9504477
During the LH strike i was rebooked and one of the flights was on AF. As i did not see the miles apearing in my FB account, i tried a missing mileage claim but that already failed at the first step where i had to enter the ticket number (since it's an LH ticket).

So, i contacted customer services and attached a scan of the boarding pass. The reply i got was that i would not get miles as it's a LH ticket. Are they correct?

thanks
The fact that it is an LH-issued ticket makes no difference. However, you would not be allowed to 'double dip' in principle, so FB has apparently realised that this was an IRROPS ticket and expect you to ask LH MM for the miles corresponding to your original itinerary and get said credit. They don't always know it but apparently this time, they have. I imagine that perhaps, LH booked you using a fare code that betrays the nature of the ticket.

Can I ask if you were in fact planning to ask LH MM for credit for your itinerary? If so I would clearly drop it as trying to 'double claim' would breach both FFPs T&C and could get you into more trouble than it is worth. If you were genuinely planning to abandon any hope to get MM credit for the itinerary I would write again to insist.

Last but not least, when you ask for retrocredit, you normally need to send the original BPs not scans. They sometimes make exceptions but in this particular case as they are clearly worried about your trying to double dip, it is likely that they would be strict on this.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I look at it this way: "double-dipping" due to invol rerouting on another alliance is an unexpected benefit which may happen but to which I would not regard myself as entitled. If it happens, great. If not, then so be it and I would not seek retro-credit for it (I would seek original route credit from the first carrier, though).
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
I look at it this way: "double-dipping" due to invol rerouting on another alliance is an unexpected benefit which may happen but to which I would not regard myself as entitled. If it happens, great. If not, then so be it and I would not seek retro-credit for it (I would seek original route credit from the first carrier, though).
Exactly ^
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: Many
FWIW, FB online tool for retro claim has been recently improved and is now crediting or denying instantly the miles.

A mention of that upgrade can be read in the April issue of Holland Herald magazine (p.56).

Originally Posted by KLM
Outstanding Miles will
be added immediately upon receipt of
this information, making the online
process faster and easier.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
doesn't matter if it's on 220 ticket stock. Send a copy of the ticket receipt and the BP to FB and ask for credit based on the booking class LH booked you into. Whether you double-dip w/ M&M is not material to AF. You flew AF and they got paid.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
doesn't matter if it's on 220 ticket stock. Send a copy of the ticket receipt and the BP to FB and ask for credit based on the booking class LH booked you into. Whether you double-dip w/ M&M is not material to AF. You flew AF and they got paid.
And how exactly do you get hold of the ticket issued by LH for the rebooking? The original ticket is irrelevant as it will not be on that one that you will have flown.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And how exactly do you get hold of the ticket issued by LH for the rebooking? The original ticket is irrelevant as it will not be on that one that you will have flown.
last ticket issued should be retained in the system. Ask for a ticket receipt from LH or look it up on the Saudia webpage.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
The fact that it is an LH-issued ticket makes no difference. However, you would not be allowed to 'double dip' in principle, so FB has apparently realised that this was an IRROPS ticket and expect you to ask LH MM for the miles corresponding to your original itinerary and get said credit.
Yes, this is more or less what they replied.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bodory
FWIW, FB online tool for retro claim has been recently improved and is now crediting or denying instantly the miles.
I was unable to do this online, as soon as entering the ticket number it said it's not AF/KLM.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

This is the only one i have, it's also the one that was on the paper ticket that i got when rebooked.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by a9504477
This is the only one i have, it's also the one that was on the paper ticket that i got when rebooked.
check lufthansa.com w/ your PNR and see what they list there; they must have re-issued the ETKT for AF to take you ... unless they really went old-fashioned paper and gave you a FIM ... and then you should have a paper FIM copy which you could use to claim your miles.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Did you have your FB number on the boarding pass?

In this situation in the past (twice rebooked by LH to AF due to missed connection) LH transfer counter gave me the boarding pass - obviously without FB number. I then asked the boarding agent to add it in the system prior to boarding and it was credited automatically three days later.

Never got BMI points posted and don't think I asked - too cheeky.

It may also be that LH booked you into a very cheap non-earning booking class...
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
Whether you double-dip w/ M&M is not material to AF.
It does (well, not to AF but to FB, which is what is important here), because the FB T&C specify that "members who are also members of other loyalty programmes should note that level and award miles can be accumulated for only one programme per flight or per service" (2.10). It also specifies that "in the event of a transfer onto an alternative flight due to unforeseen circumstances, the member will earn level and award miles for the flight the member originally purchased, not for the route flown" (2.7). Finally, it specifies that "non-public fares are not eligible for mileage accumulation" (2.4). IRROPS fares are not public fares, and in fact, the same paragraph explicitly lists "in particular [...] travel industry reduced rates" of which IRROPS rates are one particular sub-form.

So that is three reasons why the OP is not normally entitled to mileage accrual on FB here. Again, the "right" thing to do for the OP is to claim the miles with M&M and feel sorry but not outraged that FB refused to give him/her a 'double' credit for the same flight.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
It does (well, not to AF but to FB, which is what is important here), because the FB T&C specify that "members who are also members of other loyalty programmes should note that level and award miles can be accumulated for only one programme per flight or per service" (2.10).
And so do pretty much all FF programmes that I know of.

IRROPS fares are not public fares, and in fact, the same paragraph explicitly lists "in particular [...] travel industry reduced rates" of which IRROPS rates are one particular sub-form.
That is the next point I was going to raise: you do not know on what fare basis the ticket was booked. That said, the fact that irrops ticket more often than not do post spontaneously suggests that the basis on which they are booked is not inherently ineligible as far as the system can see it. Still, it is plain that, from the terms and conditions of the relevant FFPs, double-dipping is not allowed and I certainly would not want to push the matter hard with the second airline refusing to post the miles. The risk is that you end up being regarded as having committed a fraud given the explicit ban on double-dipping in FFP T&Cs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.