Last seat redemption for F award on AF

Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If by "borrow" you mean having someone give you their Flying Blue login details, then I think you are on to a non-starter. Sharing of login details is not allowed and never a good idea. You would have to be the one to take the risk (not the "volunteer") and hope that whoever you transferred your hundreds of thousands of Amex MR points to would book the ticket that you wanted in your name.

But this is all rather academic. Very few of us think that there will ever be a redemption F seat available again for this particular flight. If you cancel your revenue booking, you probably will not end up travelling at all on this flight (unless you later buy the same seat back at a much higher price).
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Good summary! ^
+1
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Apparently, AF has decided to cancel all flights in F booked by non-Elite members. PAX are not happy. http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...award-tickets/
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Apparently, AF has decided to cancel all flights in F booked by non-Elite members. PAX are not happy. http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...award-tickets/
Typical Flying Blue to make passengers pay the price of their own incompetence. Sure, those passengers should not have been able to book, but once FB did it, they should have bitten the bullet and accept to own up to their mistake. 1500 miles is ridiculous compensation too.

That said, what is an "award booking service"??? Don't tell me some people charge money to book award seats? It sounds most dodgy to me.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:14 am

What counts - when booked or when traveled ?

What happens in the following scenario - I am ELITE, book an F class award then lose my elite status after the the qualifying year ends. Technically, I booked while an ELITE but will travel as a NON-ELITE.
?????
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
I would not expect a problem in this case. Otherwise this would mean that honouring a ticket would be conditional on the passenger achieving a certain amount of level miles. Not even AF would come up with such a weird idea.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
...what is an "award booking service"??? Don't tell me some people charge money to book award seats? It sounds most dodgy to me.
Lucky/Ben (the blogger at One Mile at a Time) has a service whereby he or one of his employees will book awards for people. I'm not sure what all the prices are for all the various services that exist (there are ~5-10 seemingly reputable people/companies doing this). They exist mostly for people too busy or too impatient to book themselves. I've used the services a couple of times, most recently with Ben's company, and it was $300 to book two first *A award tickets using United miles. I was thrilled to be able to pay experts to do this for me, since I had no time to research this myself (I do have the tools, KVS and expertflyer.com, but not the time for this one), and UA gutted the program for using partner miles (so if you wanted to fly a good airline using UA points, the mileage price went up substantially on 1 February, so time was of the essence in getting this done), so it was great that I could offload this research.

Not dodgy at all. Also, if they don't find what you're looking for, you don't pay anything.

Inside Flyer (the paper magazine, not sure about whether or not they had it online) recently had a rundown of some of the offerings out there, along with the prices. Something to look into if time is tight (whether you're busy or coming up to a deadline) and if the prices work for you.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cityflyer369
Not even AF would come up with such a weird idea.
I guess we shall have to blame you for putting that idea into their heads, then!

Johan
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinWilly
Not dodgy at all. Also, if they don't find what you're looking for, you don't pay anything.
So who exactly does the booking? Are you expected to give your FFP login details to these people?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It could be that a FB lurker read this thread and AF decided to close the loophole caused by the poor training of their FB phone agents.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:18 am

So who exactly does the booking? Are you expected to give your FFP login details to these people?
The couple of times I've used services, yes, I provided my login ID and PW to the agents. This is definitely not a service to use if that makes you feel uncomfortable, but in the case of Ben, he has a reputation to uphold, and I trust him and his agents so I had no problem.

Then again, some people also use financial apps like Mint and Check (formerly PageOnce), which require IDs and PWs for banking details and the like, so I suppose it really comes down to who people feel they can trust.

With the award services, one could probably get the award flight information and book it themselves, but I don't know that for sure, you'd have to ask the various booking services.

Last edited by TravelinWilly; Feb 11, 2014 at 4:57 pm Reason: Edited to CMA. :)
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
In Europe, giving away your banking passwords would make you solely liable for the consequences if any fraudulent transactions appeared on your account.

Whatever about the US, I can't imagine many European FFPs being enthusiastic about their members sharing login details with third parties.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
In Europe, giving away your banking passwords would make you solely liable for the consequences if any fraudulent transactions appeared on your account.

Whatever about the US, I can't imagine many European FFPs being enthusiastic about their members sharing login details with third parties.
It's actually formally in breach of FB T&C:

1.3.8 Any person whose membership application has been accepted by the Company shall obtain an individual account, membership number and a PIN allowing access to the Internet and any other services described in the FB Communication. The membership number will be required for any inquiry concerning the account. The PIN will always be communicated to the Member and only to the Member. The Member is responsible for the usage of his PIN and shall not disclose the PIN to any third party.

Several other European FFPs have similar clauses.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:12 pm

Okay, I'm now taking this just about as far OT as I can go, apologies to FB members, these are the last comments I'll make on this matter on this board... But in my defense, it all started innocently.

Interestingly, in the USA United, American, and Delta all, have enjoined aggregating websites (e.g., awardwallet.com, amongst others, who allow for "one stop shopping" of mileage balances, status levels, etc. for airlines, hotels, rental car companies, credit cards, etc.) from scraping their systems for data, meaning that subscribers to those various sites could no longer rely on mileage updates through the use of such sites. One of the sites came up with a workaround for United (they had members create email accounts that are associated with the website, and then go to ual.com and change the email on file to the new site email, so once a month when UA sends out balance emails, the site will update member accounts).

American relented with awardwallet.com, and my understanding is that now they allow it, so they know that people are putting in their AA FF#s and PWs. And I suspect that they're okay with it, presumably after looking at the site's policies for storing data, encryption, etc. I can't prove it, though, as I really don't have a clue as to how any of those sites really work.

I would think that European carriers could just as easily stop third party sites from such activity if they wanted to, and the fact that they haven't stopped them leads me to suspect that they're okay with it. And the same would go for financial institutions that allow mint.com etc. to aggregate financial data. It is within their power to curtail such use.

It's actually formally in breach of FB T&C:

1.3.8 Any person whose membership application has been accepted by the Company shall obtain an individual account, membership number and a PIN allowing access to the Internet and any other services described in the FB Communication. The membership number will be required for any inquiry concerning the account. The PIN will always be communicated to the Member and only to the Member. The Member is responsible for the usage of his PIN and shall not disclose the PIN to any third party.

Several other European FFPs have similar clauses.
Interestingly, AF's FB is available on awardwallet.com, amongst other aggregating sites (I just looked, they list out who's supported), so either they're not aware of it, or they tacitly approve of it, T&C wording (which is often times there as a broad protection for the FFP) to the contrary or not. Lufthansa and BA and SQ and TG and QF (and the list is quite long...) are also "participants" in such sites. I'm not saying that's good, I'm just saying what is.

Okay, back to our regularly-scheduled programming...
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by TravelinWilly
Okay, I'm now taking this just about as far OT as I can go, apologies to FB members, these are the last comments I'll make on this matter on this board... But in my defense, it all started innocently.

Interestingly, in the USA United, American, and Delta all, have enjoined aggregating websites (e.g., awardwallet.com, amongst others, who allow for "one stop shopping" of mileage balances, status levels, etc. for airlines, hotels, rental car companies, credit cards, etc.) from scraping their systems for data, meaning that subscribers to those various sites could no longer rely on mileage updates through the use of such sites. One of the sites came up with a workaround for United (they had members create email accounts that are associated with the website, and then go to ual.com and change the email on file to the new site email, so once a month when UA sends out balance emails, the site will update member accounts).

American relented with awardwallet.com, and my understanding is that now they allow it, so they know that people are putting in their AA FF#s and PWs. And I suspect that they're okay with it, presumably after looking at the site's policies for storing data, encryption, etc. I can't prove it, though, as I really don't have a clue as to how any of those sites really work.

I would think that European carriers could just as easily stop third party sites from such activity if they wanted to, and the fact that they haven't stopped them leads me to suspect that they're okay with it. And the same would go for financial institutions that allow mint.com etc. to aggregate financial data. It is within their power to curtail such use.

Interestingly, AF's FB is available on awardwallet.com, amongst other aggregating sites (I just looked, they list out who's supported), so either they're not aware of it, or they tacitly approve of it, T&C wording (which is often times there as a broad protection for the FFP) to the contrary or not. Lufthansa and BA and SQ and TG and QF (and the list is quite long...) are also "participants" in such sites. I'm not saying that's good, I'm just saying what is.

Okay, back to our regularly-scheduled programming...
Don't worry, one thing which is very much 'tacitly approved of' on FT is OT Don't take me wrong, I personally have no issue with you or anyone else using the services such as the one you describe, and I can't imagine FB saying that they randomly checked that someone else booked for you and it is against their T&Cs and thus they will discontinue your account. The same goes for award wallet, the way I understand it, I don't think airlines need to actively do anything for it to work with their FFPs but I think they will happily turn a blind eye as long as nothing goes wrong.

What I think, on the other hand, is that breaching the T&Cs makes one very vulnerable if anything goes wrong. The moment a security breach happens and a booking takes place that should not (e.g. some smart a** gets access to the system and trades someone else's miles for cash) the airlines will go for the 'easiest solution' which will be to say that the account owner breached his/her T&Cs and delete the accounts. If no such 'funny' thing happens, I don't think there will be any consequences.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:00 am

So I assume that as long as I book my F award while still elite (till the end of MAR 2014) that I will have no trouble traveling as an Ivory member this summer - correct ? I will be the traveler

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.