Booked in J AND Y on the same flight

Old May 14, 2013, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Henry III
That makes (at least) thirty-one of us! (The Three Henrys and Twenty-eight Irishmen.)

-- HIMH3
As a Eurovision turkey once put it -there are thirty-two counties, and forty shades of green ;-)

Good man Ryan!
Old May 14, 2013, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MANman
I was once on a KLM flight out of Shanghai and just before takeoff - sitting in the business section of the plane, one guy was booked onto 2 business class seats on the same flight and there was a big fuss....
Why the big fuss? It is perfectly possible to book two adjacent seats on a flight.

Johan
Old May 14, 2013, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM 1K/AF Plat/Marriott Titanium/Hertz PC (who isn't?)/National Exec Elite/CFA Signature
Ok, now that we have resolution I'll give all the details and will hopefully make things clear for everyone.

First the resolution: I moved the return flight in Y to a later date. I will not fly it, but that way it does not conflict with the O ticket anymore.
Cost me about 200 but that's pretty cheap for a J upgrade that's not costing me any miles.

As for the what I was trying to explain: per the mileage calculator on FB's own website, you will in find that it does in fact cost the same exact number of miles to fly USA-Asia than it does to fly Europe-Asia.
USA-Asia always routes via CDG on AF. If you book a one-way USA-Asia then you can't stop in CDG, it has to be consecutive flights (that's the one catch with FB one-way awards). But if you buy a full return trip USA-Asia-USA then you are allowed one stopover either on the way there or on the way back.

So in my case:
- I have to fly CDG-USA-CDG so bought a ticket in Y - that's trip number 1.
- About a month after trip 1 is over I have to fly CDG-Asia-CDG so redeemed an O award - that's trip number 2.
- I then realized I could have flown the return of trip number 1 in O had I booked it as the first leg of an USA-Asia award with a stop-over in CDG on the outbound. So I called up FB and asked them to add the USA-CDG and CDG-USA legs to the existing trip 2 (I could not have only added the USA-CDG leg as the itinerary has to be a round trip for the stopover in CDG to be legal).
That all repriced for the exact same number of miles; all I had to pay were some extra taxes (because the itinerary now has more airports in it). Let's call that new award trip number 2+.

At which point the paid return of trip 1 was on the same flight as the first leg of the outbound of trip 2+, hence the conflict that started this whole thread. Conflict that I then eliminated by moving the return leg of trip 1 to a later date.

The more I explain it the more confusing it gets I think. But the bottom line really is what I have bolded.

Any questions let me know.
Old May 15, 2013, 2:34 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
It's clear now And me too am surprised that USA-CDG-Asia has the same price as CDG-Asia. I think this must be some kind of lucky mistake, as the distance is clearly a lot longer...
Old May 15, 2013, 3:58 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Yes, now it's all clear! ^ Also, you've found a very useful 'trick' worth remembering (the emboldened bit). I'll just go and check on the new l/h redemptions table, to see if the USA-Asia rates are still the same as Europe-Asia.

-- Henry
Old May 15, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow. I am flabbergasted that the mileage is the same for both.

Perhaps that will no longer be the case after the 1 June changes...
Old May 15, 2013, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
This has been the case for a very long time. The idea is that the Asia-USA route is usually flown over the pacific, so usual mileage required over the pacific is what applies. Otherwise, the award would be totally uncompetitive with what Asian and US airlines offer.

But there used to be some stopover restrictions in CDG.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Why the big fuss? It is perfectly possible to book two adjacent seats on a flight.

Johan
Bring a cello, and claim one seat for it
Old May 17, 2013, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And allow the cello to travel in J, while you strum it - sorry, slum it - in Y
Old May 17, 2013, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MichielR
Bring a cello, and claim one seat for it
Bring a double bass and claim two, or bring a baby grand and claim the entire UD.

Johan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.