Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Air France/KLM to start trial with WiFi on board in 2013

Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold

Dear all,
Internet has finally come on board flights of Air France and KLM.

http://corporate.airfrance.com/en/pr...ivity-in-2013/

Sincerely,

SB

Last edited by Gajan; Jun 11, 2012 at 7:29 am Reason: Add information to title
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Excellent news, even if it appears it will be a few years before I can count on using WiFi on any long haul flight. I used the old Boeing Connexion WiFi on LH flights many times back when it was in service. For a business person it was excellent being online during the entire Euro and American business day as I flew FRA-LAX. In this crazy always-on world it is kind of amazing that we had this regular service years ago, lost access for about a decade, and we are just now talking about getting it back someday!

I know there will be Luddites who bemoan the interruption of their peace on board, but I hope they can learn to keep to themselves and not try to stop progress.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
As it's a trial on only two 777-300s in each of AF and KL's fleets, and the trial doesn't start until 2013, it could be quite a while before you find yourself on a flight with WiFi!

But still, a step in the right direction.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:31 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
A little misleading as this will take at least another year to be fully implemented. Nevertheless, better late than never right?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
Was sincerely hoping for WiFi onboard flights within Europe... Guess that won't be happening anytime soon...

Sincerely,

SB
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
And the price will be ??
Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mike turnbull
And the price will be ??
I surmise thatfor FB travellers the WIFI is going to cost 30,000 miles plus tax (YQ included in the miles)
Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
That receiver uses a lot of fuel!!!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by strikerbird
Was sincerely hoping for WiFi onboard flights within Europe... Guess that won't be happening anytime soon...

Sincerely,

SB

I never understood the lack of free Wi-Fi in Europe relative to N. America. So many hotels, airports, trains, and coffee bars in N. America offer it, whereas in Europe it is still customary to pay for use. I realize that onboard an airliner is pretty much pay to use across the board; for the ancillary revenue and the cost of installing and certifying the equipment is costly due to the fact that the airframe is modified, which equals scrutiny by the regulators.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 4:15 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Its simple..because money can be made by offering it for a fee. Now that more and more people rely on internet, the case for charging money for use actually becomes stronger. And as long as all the majors charge for it, they don't have a need to offer it for free to be competitive.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: AF/KLM FB Plat, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Smile Onboard wifi on european KLM flights in 2015

Originally Posted by strikerbird

Sincerely,

SB
I actually have heard from a stewardess on a KLM cityhopper flight today (28-01-2014) AAL-AMS that the airline will be introducing onboard wifi for European flights in 2015. So lets see what will happen
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by stimpy
Excellent news, even if it appears it will be a few years before I can count on using WiFi on any long haul flight. I used the old Boeing Connexion WiFi on LH flights many times back when it was in service. For a business person it was excellent being online during the entire Euro and American business day as I flew FRA-LAX. In this crazy always-on world it is kind of amazing that we had this regular service years ago, lost access for about a decade, and we are just now talking about getting it back someday!

I know there will be Luddites who bemoan the interruption of their peace on board, but I hope they can learn to keep to themselves and not try to stop progress.
Lufthansa has re-introduced it several years ago already, all longhaul planes are equipped with it. Works pretty well.

I have also used it on EK and QR, part of their fleets have it (EK A380, QR 787). Also works pretty well.

Very neat, and I am glad AFKL finally catch up. It would make a difference for me to take them for instance on a CDG-USA flight. I don't spend the entire flight online browsing all kinds of pages. But on a 8-11 hour flight checking in from time to time and getting some emails out of the way or using the uninterrupted time on board to research things (work-related, or just to organize the next private holiday) is much less stressful than landing with a huge jetlag and having to go through an enormous heaps of mails that have arrived while I was in the air. The good thing about the "always on" world is that one *can* be always online. Noone forces you.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Lufthansa has re-introduced it several years ago already, all longhaul planes are equipped with it. Works pretty well.

I have also used it on EK and QR, part of their fleets have it (EK A380, QR 787). Also works pretty well.

Very neat, and I am glad AFKL finally catch up. It would make a difference for me to take them for instance on a CDG-USA flight. I don't spend the entire flight online browsing all kinds of pages. But on a 8-11 hour flight checking in from time to time and getting some emails out of the way or using the uninterrupted time on board to research things (work-related, or just to organize the next private holiday) is much less stressful than landing with a huge jetlag and having to go through an enormous heaps of mails that have arrived while I was in the air. The good thing about the "always on" world is that one *can* be always online. Noone forces you.
It's part of a massive cultural change that is ongoing. More and more our lives get focussed on screens, and more and more possibilities are introduced to do so. The problem with this cultural change, is that it is slowly becoming an expectation that you are always checking your email, social messages, and what not...

I prefer to chill and rest whilst travelling (also to avoid jet-lag), and my boss is OK with that. Crossing my fingers that the expectations aren't going to shift...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mckroes
I actually have heard from a stewardess on a KLM cityhopper flight today (28-01-2014) AAL-AMS that the airline will be introducing onboard wifi for European flights in 2015. So lets see what will happen
On longhaul flights, OK, but shorthaul? Do they think many pax can't go without internet for 1-2 hours tops?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
On longhaul flights, OK, but shorthaul? Do they think many pax can't go without internet for 1-2 hours tops?
Yes as the US market has shown at least. Pax under the age of 30 don't seem to be able to go 5 minutes without texting or tweeting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.