Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 21, 12, 8:30 pm   #1
Moderator: Fairmont Hotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, AA Exec. Plat., IC Amb., Fairmont Platinum
upgrade from business class to First class on AF?

I´m completely unfamiliar with Air France, so please excuse the probably stupid question:

Is it possible to upgrade a business class ticket to First Class using miles (or otherwise)? This would be a SkyTeam RTW ticket if it makes any difference...

I found some info in the FAQ regarding upgrades from economy to premium economy / business class, but nothing about First class.

I recall AF only making First class awards available to Elite members, so I guess they´d have a similar or even more restrictive policy when it comes to upgrades, but any definite info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Jasper2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 12, 2:18 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB, DL , IC Plat Amb, Hilton Gold, A|Club Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
I´m completely unfamiliar with Air France, so please excuse the probably stupid question:

Is it possible to upgrade a business class ticket to First Class using miles (or otherwise)? This would be a SkyTeam RTW ticket if it makes any difference...

I found some info in the FAQ regarding upgrades from economy to premium economy / business class, but nothing about First class.

I recall AF only making First class awards available to Elite members, so I guess they´d have a similar or even more restrictive policy when it comes to upgrades, but any definite info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
this is not possible. you can only acces AF firstclass being flying blue elite and upgrade with FB miles.
Old Apr 22, 12, 7:22 am   #3

Programs: Flying Blue (LT), BlueBiz , Accor (Platinum), Navigo (nec mergor).
Quote:
RTW business class fares cannot be upgraded to first, excepted, on US flights (included to HNL) that have no business class but only first one: in that case it is possible with $100.
delanotre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 12, 8:18 am   #4

Programs: Many
It's not worth it anyway. As I recall you have to pay something like 125,000 miles EACH WAY on a TATL on top of a full fare J ticket. All of this while a F class TATL on a superior *A airline will run your between 100k or 135k miles (based on who you book with). Yet another reason I only fly AF short haul, and only enough to segment qualify for Silver and be able to use J check-in/cut lines/board early.
GetSetJetSet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 12, 11:29 am   #5

Thanks for the responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
It's not worth it anyway. As I recall you have to pay something like 125,000 miles EACH WAY on a TATL on top of a full fare J ticket. All of this while a F class TATL on a superior *A airline will run your between 100k or 135k miles (based on who you book with). Yet another reason I only fly AF short haul, and only enough to segment qualify for Silver and be able to use J check-in/cut lines/board early.
Wow, that´s disturbing! I was actually expecting maybe 30k-50k miles per ->F upgrade. Foolish me, I forgot it´s AF we´re talking about.

So how does AF F compare to other F products out there in your opinion?
Old Apr 26, 12, 11:33 am   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
It is expensive. Cost me 80k OW for CDG-HKG a few years back (one of those bargain U.K.-Australia D fares). Not sure if it was worth it but my chance to try AF F out of CDG.
Old Apr 26, 12, 1:08 pm   #7

Programs: Aviation Sans Frontičres Ambassador/Flying Blue/Mile Point & Club Carlson Gold/BW Diamond/Hertz5*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
Not correct:
125000 miles: one way award ticket US/EUROPE
75000 miles : one way upgrade US/EUROPE (might even be 37500 miles as there is regularly a promo)
Upgrade can done from J/C/D depending where your ticket has been issued)
Mynameismud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 12, 1:31 pm   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismud View Post
Not correct:
125000 miles: one way award ticket US/EUROPE
75000 miles : one way upgrade US/EUROPE (might even be 37500 miles as there is regularly a promo)
Upgrade can done from J/C/D depending where your ticket has been issued)
Thanks. If I´m not mistaken the SKYRTW business class fare books into booking class "I" on AF, so I wouldn´t be able to upgrade theflights anyway which makes this a less interesting option.
Old Apr 27, 12, 9:32 am   #9

Quote:
Thanks. If I´m not mistaken the SKYRTW business class fare books into booking class "I" on AF, so I wouldn´t be able to upgrade theflights anyway which makes this a less interesting option.
Impossible to upgrade an RTW ticket, except:
" FOR BUSINESS CLASS FARES/ ON SECTORS WITHIN
THE U.S. IN AREA 1 AND BETWEEN THE U.S. AND
CANADA/ PASSENGERS WILL BE ACCOMMODATED IN THE
FRONT CABIN ON TWO-CABIN AIRCRAFT SUBJECT TO
AVAILABILITY OF SEATS AT THE TIME OF BOOKING
AT A SURCHARGE OF USD100/CAD150 PER FLIGHT
SEGMENT.
DL BOOKING CLASS IS IN THE AFOREMENTIONED
IS CLASS -A-. NO SURCHARGE APPLIES FOR
PASSENGERS PAYING FIRST CLASS FARES.
Old Apr 27, 12, 9:35 am   #10

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, EI Prestige, LH *S, KL Silver
But that's not an upgrade.

Regardless of whatever name they give to the front cabin on a 2-class US domestic service, it's just business class - and is most definitely where a business class RTW ticket holder should be sitting.
Old Apr 27, 12, 10:41 am   #11

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA G, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton G, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
But that's not an upgrade.

Regardless of whatever name they give to the front cabin on a 2-class US domestic service, it's just business class - and is most definitely where a business class RTW ticket holder should be sitting.
Agree they should... but they don't - so you are right, it is not the possibility to pay for an upgrade but the possibility to pay not to be downgraded!
orbitmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 12, 3:21 am   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Agree they should... but they don't - so you are right, it is not the possibility to pay for an upgrade but the possibility to pay not to be downgraded!
AFAIK,on Delta, no first only First/business: Delta, on US flights, sells only First/business tickets with BC "F" or "P" for flex and "A" for restricted. (150% EQM). RTW on Delta in business is with BC "C" (175%EQM), available only on intercontinental flights, not domestic.

But you are right, with this RTW rule, you pay to do not be downgraded...

Last edited by delanotre; Apr 28, 12 at 3:42 am..
Old Apr 28, 12, 8:53 am   #13

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA G, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton G, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by delanotre View Post
AFAIK,on Delta, no first only First/business: Delta, on US flights, sells only First/business tickets with BC "F" or "P" for flex and "A" for restricted. (150% EQM). RTW on Delta in business is with BC "C" (175%EQM), available only on intercontinental flights, not domestic.

But you are right, with this RTW rule, you pay to do not be downgraded...
No, DL doesn't have a 'Business First' a la CO. They have straight First (domestic except a few flights using long haul aircrafts and the direct JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO, JFK-SAN and I believe JFK-SEA) and straight Business ("Business Elite") on international flights, and the routes mentioned above (and the few other domestic routes operated by the odd international flight). In practice, this means that DL J is much more comfortable than DL F but that is admittedly true of most US airlines except UA and AA. You are right about the booking codes thiough.
orbitmic is online now   Reply With Quote