FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Moving from Delta SkyMiles to Flying Blue (Miles Bonuses) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1326460-moving-delta-skymiles-flying-blue-miles-bonuses.html)

JoshuaFalken Mar 19, 2012 7:38 am

Moving from Delta SkyMiles to Flying Blue (Miles Bonuses)

Hello Everybody!

I am currently Delta SkyMiles Silver Elite and would like to move to Flying Blue this year (reason: hotel and similar bookings on Delta now only if you are higher level or have their CC - laughable!). I am wondering: If I enrol at Flying Blue and take a flight on AF, will I get the Elite bonus (50% ?) based on my status at Delta? Or are the miles bonuses only effective within the same airlines?

Thanks!

Gajan Mar 19, 2012 7:43 am

After enrolling in FB you will be FB Ivory. Only after obtaining the minimum number of segments / level miles (EQM) will you obtain FB Silver.

Please note that it may not be beneficial to switch to FB only for hotel bookings as you may earn less miles in FB than in SM (specially if you buy discounted economy tickets).

There are a few threads on this topic in the FB forum which should answer your questions what is the better programme (FB vs. SM).

JoshuaFalken Mar 19, 2012 12:43 pm

Hello Gajan!

Thanks for your reply! I have read the forum a little and have come to the conclusion that it may be better to stick with Delta, as I normally book inexpensive Economy tickets. I am still frustrated that Delta basically abolished the possibility to book hotels through them, as we have been able to get good deals for our miles there several times. They also had a huge choice of hotels and lots of available dates and a comfortable website.

It seems the airlines' battle against their FF customers continues - well, at least with Delta it seems I can actually collect some miles, and if the stars align right, I might be able to book an award ticket every other year or so...

sfozrhfco Mar 20, 2012 7:53 pm

If you are looking for free/discounted hotel stays, just get the SPG AMEX card and earn points through Starwood. You can get up to several free nights just for signing up for the card and there are no blackout dates. The redemption levels are very low compared to earning hotel nights through any airline program. Best of all, you pay NO taxes at all on award bookings.

AlohaDaveKennedy Mar 20, 2012 7:58 pm

FB miles also expire. Dunno how I know that.:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by JoshuaFalken (Post 18228915)
Hello Everybody!

I am currently Delta SkyMiles Silver Elite and would like to move to Flying Blue this year (reason: hotel and similar bookings on Delta now only if you are higher level or have their CC - laughable!). I am wondering: If I enrol at Flying Blue and take a flight on AF, will I get the Elite bonus (50% ?) based on my status at Delta? Or are the miles bonuses only effective within the same airlines?

Thanks!