Wiki Posts
Search

AF and EY partnership from 28 October 2012

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by simonsmith
James Hogan: CEO Etihad says "The airline said explicitly that the codeshare agreement, which commences on 28-Oct-2012, is the “first phase of a much larger strategic partnership” and includes the “proposed integration of frequent flyer programs”, with “reciprocal ‘earn-and-burn’ privileges for 1.5 million Etihad Guest members and 21 million Air France-KLM Flying Blue frequent flyers across the combined networks”.

So merger of FFPs???? Some way off I guess
This was already quoted above.
Could mean integration into FB, but it is much more likely to mean that FB members can earn-and-burn on most EY flights and vice versa. This type of arrangement is already in place for several AFKL partners, e.g. Japan airline or Jet airways.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by simonsmith
So merger of FFPs???? Some way off I guess
No way.

Etihad has previously "integrated" its FFP with those of some of its partner airlines. It just means that Etihad becomes a partner of that airline, and vice versa, allowing customers of either program to earn and burn on the other airline as well.

In the case of Airberlin, Topbonus members can earn across the entire Etihad network - which is unsurprising, given that Etihad owns a major stake in the airline. These miles also count for earning status.

http://www.airberlin.com/site/tb/par...nerName=etihad

In the case of Alitalia, Millemiglia members can earn across the entire Etihad network - but of course, these miles do not count for status earning purposes.

http://www.alitalia.com/GB_EN/millem...er/etihad.aspx

The actual merging of frequent flier programs is an extremely rare event, and I don't think either Eithad or AF-KL have this in mind. Even with the much closer Emirates/Qantas cooperation, while they are definitiely aligning their frequent flyer programs (Emirates is introducing a new top tier to match Qantas' arrangement), they are not merging the programs.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:14 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Perhaps if AB had been doing the negotiating, it would have gone with BA (which would give it access to most, if not all, of the UK and French destinations that AB will codeshare on AF/KL). But its parent was the one doing the negotiating here.
Don't know about France, but KLM operate to a much wider range of UK destinations than BA.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is true - however, the only destinations (beyond Amsterdam itself) included so far under the AB/KL code are Glasgow, Edinburgh and Manchester, which are all served with a far higher frequency by British Airways from London than by KLM from Amsterdam.

It also leads to the somewhat unusual situation of an airberlin passenger wanting to travel on the AB codeshare to MAN, EDI or GLA first having to take an AB flight to Berlin (if they're not originating in Berlin), then taking an AB-coded KL-operated flight to AMS, followed by an AB-coded KL-operated flight to MAN/EDI/GLA.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Air France wants Air Berlin alliance change

Originally Posted by Reuters
Air France wants Air Berlin to join its SkyTeam alliance of airlines around the world and abandon its membership of the rival oneworld grouping, according to a newspaper interview with the French carrier's chief executive
Linked to the AFKL / AB / EY codeshare deal, of course. However, the article is a bit less strident than the headline, with de Juniac just saying that in future AB would have to decide between remaining in OW and shifting to ST.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If EY ever decides to join an alliance, then it is almost certain that AB would join that alliance, too.

But it's not going to happen without EY.

I can't see EY joining in the short term, and I therefore don't think that AB will either. I think it would be more likely that AB would quit oneworld and go back to its "unaligned" status, but given the expenditure already made, and the likelihood of financial penalties, I don't think that will happen in the short term, either. Unless AF is so desperate for them that it would pay for the costs associated with the defection (and that probably would be illegal)...
Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recently paged through a bunch of back issues of Dutch cabin crew union VNC's magazine. Boy, did they ever have a lot of nasty things to say about ME carriers, much of it obviously untrue. Especially the warm welcome given at AMS to EK's first A380 flight roused their ire.

I wonder if they will change their tune now that KLAF have swallowed their pride and decided it is better to join them if you can't beat them.

Johan
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Originally Posted by KQ321
Linked to the AFKL / AB / EY codeshare deal, of course. However, the article is a bit less strident than the headline, with de Juniac just saying that in future AB would have to decide between remaining in OW and shifting to ST.
rumors abound that EY do not want to put any more money in AB, and it would be easy for OW/BA/QR to either step in or build a position to counter a possible defection. The years of easy, EU-induced duopoly with LH in Europe are a thing of the past, and if AF/KL really wants AB switching, they should be prepared to pay a hefty price.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Air France plays down Air Berlin SkyTeam talk

Originally Posted by Air Transport World
Air France (AF) claims it is “far too early” to discuss whether Air Berlin (AB) might switch alliances from oneworld to SkyTeam, following comments made by AF CEO Alexandre de Juniac.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:21 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Flights loaded

The flights have been loaded into GDS.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold, AF Plat and other minors
Hi all,

I was happy to find the new partnership and a new way to get from AMS to Colombo / Nepal in J class. ^

However, when looking at KLM site, all connection goes via Delhi or Bombay

what the point to announce such partnership if we cant book it?

aad665
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:36 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
Originally Posted by aad665

aad665
there's even routes that AF serves and you can't book them via KLM... they're supposed to be one company only. SO with a partnership, I guess they limited to certain routes
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aad665
However, when looking at KLM site, all connection goes via Delhi or Bombay

You can...

Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: A few
I am still not seeing AUH-MLE loaded with an AF flight number?

I am wondering whether these routes will be bookable with FB miles or even Delta miles. It has been possible historically to book other AF codeshares (Air Seychelles and Air Mauritius spring to mind) using Delta SM.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
EY had bought 40% of Air Seychelles (HM) and seems to be the operational "partner" (suggesting "managing owner") of the airline.
EY seems unable to obtain landing right at HKG, so the HKG-AUH flights will be operated by HM but with EY codeshare. Finally, EY gets a door to HKG and HK residents can fly to Seychelles with a good connection in AUH. Unfortunately the current product of HM in business class (no F) is poor and far from EY standards. Hopefully, that will change soon.
http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news12...dAirways.shtml

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.