Premium Voyageur fare not entitled for miles??

Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, UA 1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Premium Voyageur fare not entitled for miles??

I am trying to book a fare in Premium Voyageur on AF and the website tells me the fare is not entitled to accumulate FB miles. It is not a promo and is the following"

AF from SFO to CDG through LAX
AF from CDG to LHR
AF from LHR to SFO through CDG and LAX

All is on AF metal except the SFO-LAX nad LAX-SFO that are on code share AF 9027 and AF 9380. Fare is $1600.

If I book the same itinerary but go through Atlanta rather than LAX, it tells me I can get miles. And both routes are the same price! I called AF reservations and Web help and neither can figure it out. I would prefer through LAX than Atlanta because it shaves 90 minutes off each way.

Any idea?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by cdg2sfo
I am trying to book a fare in Premium Voyageur on AF and the website tells me the fare is not entitled to accumulate FB miles. It is not a promo and is the following"

AF from SFO to CDG through LAX
AF from CDG to LHR
AF from LHR to SFO through CDG and LAX

All is on AF metal except the SFO-LAX nad LAX-SFO that are on code share AF 9027 and AF 9380. Fare is $1600.

If I book the same itinerary but go through Atlanta rather than LAX, it tells me I can get miles. And both routes are the same price! I called AF reservations and Web help and neither can figure it out. I would prefer through LAX than Atlanta because it shaves 90 minutes off each way.

Any idea?
What the other kind of metal used for the trip?

I did a search for PE tickets from AF from AMS-CDG-SYD and the website also said that no miles would be earned on the flight. I Assumed it was a glitch.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:50 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
I would assume it is a glitch as well.

Which fare class is it booked into? (see here how many miles you will earn per booking class).
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
It's a computer glitch. I had this several times when flying from Europe to Australia. What matters in the end is the Flying Blue rules, not the miles they mention during the booking process. The computer glitch tends to occur with code-shares, most likely with non-Skyteam codeshares. Just consider these miles mentioned during the booking process as an indication. If no miles show up, the system simply doesn't know.

Thinking about this, "computer glitch" is not the right word. I think the system was never set up for dealing with this in the first instance. It just gets too complicated to set up a system that works for all codeshares. LH's website has the same problem during the booking process. It is just that their website puts/frames the error message more in the way of "we don't know".(At least if you read the small print, which is missing from AF's website.) So the whole thing is not a big deal at all.

Last edited by Gajan; Feb 18, 2012 at 1:07 pm Reason: Merge posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Indeed, they really should take away those "This flight earns XXX miles" in the booking engine when it is so frequently wrong.

All AF- and KL-coded and operated flights will earn miles, as long as they are revenue tickets (i.e. not booked as Award redemptions)
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, UA 1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Thanks all for your answers. The only non AF metal is Skywest airlines which is related to Delta. They are the LAX-SAF legs.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Air France Platinum for life
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Indeed, they really should take away those "This flight earns XXX miles" in the booking engine when it is so frequently wrong.
Or maybe reword it
I find it useful to see how many miles I stand to get (before any bonuses etc) even if it's only a rough guide
Old Feb 21, 2012, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem, though, is that it often comes up with 0, so even re-wording to something like "this flight might earn/will earn approximately/at least 0 miles" doesn't change anything.

But really, there is no excuse for not being able to fix it. The booking engine knows the origin and destination, and the fare classes; if it can look up the correct fares, there is absolutely no reason why it can't be fixed to look up the correct mileage, as well.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: DL PM, LY Silver
Originally Posted by irishguy28

All AF- and KL-coded and operated flights will earn miles, as long as they are revenue tickets (i.e. not booked as Award redemptions)
But if one books KL in S class and upgrades to O, one earns the S class miles, right?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GMill
But if one books KL in S class and upgrades to O, one earns the S class miles, right?
That would be an upgrade with miles, not an award redemption.

And the issue under discussion - the reporting of the number of miles earned by the booking engine - is a matter entirely separate to upgrading (which is done in a separate, later process).

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 21, 2012 at 8:01 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.