"UP" fares on DL only earn 50% miles ?

Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

"UP" fares on DL only earn 50% miles ?

Just credited a DL trip that was booked as an "UP" fare - a fare that books in F class if available at the time of booking. The fare shows up as A class on DL but when credited to Flying Blue it credits as a Q fare at 50% credit. Is this normal ? The fare basis code does start with Q but it books into A class and seating in the F class cabin. These fares earn a premium on DL but not even 100% fare credit in Flying Blue. Is this correct ? Any other experiences with this ? Any information greatly appreciated ! thanks
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:19 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
It could be a computer glitch due to the fact that the fare code starts with Q. It could also be that FB does not want to take part in the UP game and says the fact that you are automatically upgraded to F when you book an UP fare is irrelevant for us because in the case of upgrades you get only miles for the original fare class.
I hope it is a computer glitch, but someone would have to find out for us.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
First time I've heard of Q-Up fares on Delta!

My guess is that Flying Blue rigidly sticks to the "miles awarded are for the fare class you purchased, regardless of whether you travel in a higher class" rule.

Particularly as AF and KL have no such equivalent program, so they would just look at this as an upgrade for which you didn't really pay - i.e. you paid Q, but got F (only because it was available at the time of booking), even if sanctioned by Delta and even if Delta would correspondingly give you an F credit.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat
Last December I booked a Q-UP fare, which booked into A. I received 150% mileage.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
It's a problem even for DL flyers since they often don't earn 150%. If it's a Q-fare with a WNUP ticket designator it is technically speaking a coach ticket and earns coach mileage. If you check your ticket it will have a Q fare basis.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
It's a problem even for DL flyers since they often don't earn 150%. If it's a Q-fare with a WNUP ticket designator it is technically speaking a coach ticket and earns coach mileage. If you check your ticket it will have a Q fare basis.
The best thing you can do is to fax in a copy of your reservation details where it shows First(A). They have adjusted such issues for me before. It' s a fuzzy grey zone unfortunately.
Old May 12, 2012, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
What about the Q-fare where 1 segment is still in coach (Q) and the second segment is in first (A)?

The first segment is in a CRJ, so no FC. Will I still get 50% bonus on that portion?
Old May 12, 2012, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've always gotten 150% miles in DL's FF program when using H-UP and Q-UP fares. Of course M-UP already get 150% as M fares regardless of the -UP status.

Originally Posted by mnredfox
What about the Q-fare where 1 segment is still in coach (Q) and the second segment is in first (A)?

The first segment is in a CRJ, so no FC. Will I still get 50% bonus on that portion?
I'm surprised that you were able to find such an A fare with one segment in a CRJ with no FC. When I've searched recently in this situation (mainline connecting to CRJ), delta.dumb refuses to display the A fares. Sometimes I've been able to do multicity to break the fare and get A on the mainline segment and whatever on the RJ, but doing this can be very expensive as you're basically purchasing two tickets (on a single PNR).

Last edited by Gajan; May 12, 2012 at 11:25 am Reason: Merge posts
Old May 12, 2012, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of the time you will get 100% for both segments, because Delta tends to report it as a Q-fare. You can always send in the ticket to FB showing A-class for the 1 segment and get it adjusted to 150%, but for the CRJ portion you'll be stuck w/ 100%
Old May 13, 2012, 11:46 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mileage credit is done on a per-segment basis.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:47 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm surprised that you were able to find such an A fare with one segment in a CRJ with no FC. When I've searched recently in this situation (mainline connecting to CRJ), delta.dumb refuses to display the A fares.
DL QUP fares actually allow voluntary downgrades to Q Class, in case A Class is not available. However, such bookings may require the use of an Agent:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.9.R3/Diamond - Routing Rules: ATL-LAX/DL/QD03A0UJ/WNUP/1102 USD]
Code:
ATLLAX-DL 13MAY12      *RULE DISPLAY*     TARIFF 0191 RULE EUP1 
   -FARE BASIS         USD       TAX       TOTAL    PTC  FT     
QD03A0UJ/WNUP   R   1025.12     76.88     1102.00   ADT  NL     

BOOKING CODES        A Q I                                      

INDUSTRY FARE TYPE - XPN - INSTANT PURCHASE NONREFUNDABLE

---------------------------------------------------------------

ROUTING  501 *** TRAVEL MUST BE NONSTOP OR DIRECT ***

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.