Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kenya Airways baggage disaster

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Kenya Airways baggage disaster

I flew Kenya Airways on Tuesday night from Johannesburg - Nairobi - Accra.

Unfortunately, they did not carry any baggage on the flight from Nairobi to Accra (every single bag was left behind). This included the Premier World and other Priority bags.

The handling agent in Accra (Menzies) says that KQ has left every single passenger bag behind on their NBO-ACC flight since 10th December, so there are presently approx. 700 passengers and 1200 bags backlogged and falling further behind every day. They estimate (off the record) approximately 3-5 weeks before they are able to catch up on baggage delivery.

They are unable to keep up with the volume of passenger inquiries so they simply ask passengers to come to the airport personally every day and wait at baggage claim when the KQ flight arrives to see if their bags are on board.

My issue here is that my baggage contains 10kg of beef that I was carrying back to Ghana from SA. The beef is properly packed in insulation for transport, but needless to say it has probably passed through the window of suitability for human consumption after a few days at Nairobi airport. Not to mention the umm, aromatic transfer to the poor clothes sharing the bag with it. Still, $h1t happens...

In similar circumstances in the past with other airlines, I have been able to get the bags rerouted elsewhere for family/friends to take delivery and then either hold/courier contents to me. I have tried to ask KQ to do this but they flat out refuse and tell me that I must wait my turn for delivery to Ghana, even if it takes a month or more (and even if I will not be in Ghana when it arrives). Hardly the "Priority Baggage Handling" benefit that they promise for Elite Plus members!

Any suggestions? I have nothing overly critical in the bag other than the rotting meat, but I do have some Christmas gifts in there that I will need within the next 10 days.

Also, is it worth making a claim subsequently for the US$146 worth of meat that I will have to throw away? And/or asking for restitution in form of FB miles?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:46 am

Programs: Many
Not sure there is much you can do other than complain to FB and KQ but whatever they will do for you is what they will do...no way to force their hand AFAIK.

I'm curious, why didn't you fly SAA nonstop JNB-ACC?

Is the reason KQ isn't taking bags cargo related do you think? What aircraft are they using now NBO-ACC?

Last edited by crazyMRer; Dec 16, 2011 at 2:56 am
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:50 am

Programs: FB, MM, QM, ES, KF & LP / HH, HGP & SPG
Originally Posted by B747-437B

Unfortunately, they did not carry any baggage on the flight from Nairobi to Accra (every single bag was left behind). This included the Premier World and other Priority bags.

The handling agent in Accra (Menzies) says that KQ has left every single passenger bag behind on their NBO-ACC flight since 10th December, so there are presently approx. 700 passengers and 1200 bags backlogged and falling further behind every day. They estimate (off the record) approximately 3-5 weeks before they are able to catch up on baggage delivery.

They are unable to keep up with the volume of passenger inquiries so they simply ask passengers to come to the airport personally every day and wait at baggage claim when the KQ flight arrives to see if their bags are on board.

My issue here is that my baggage contains 10kg of beef that I was carrying back to Ghana from SA. The beef is properly packed in insulation for transport, but needless to say it has probably passed through the window of suitability for human consumption after a few days at Nairobi airport. Not to mention the umm, aromatic transfer to the poor clothes sharing the bag with it. Still, $h1t happens...

In similar circumstances in the past with other airlines, I have been able to get the bags rerouted elsewhere for family/friends to take delivery and then either hold/courier contents to me. I have tried to ask KQ to do this but they flat out refuse and tell me that I must wait my turn for delivery to Ghana, even if it takes a month or more (and even if I will not be in Ghana when it arrives). Hardly the "Priority Baggage Delivery" benefit that they promise for Elite Plus members!

Any suggestions? I have nothing overly critical in the bag other than the rotting meat, but I do have some Christmas gifts in there that I will need within the next 10 days.

Also, is it worth making a claim subsequently for the US$146 worth of meat that I will have to throw away? And/or asking for restitution in form of FB miles?
I haven't heard of something like this before... Well, bags get lost often, but to refuse to reroute them elsewhere for family or friends, this is a first for me. I'm sorry for your situation, but from my experience with FB I was given a few thousands miles after every mishap like this, but again, my bag arrived every time between 2 and 5 days after me.
Hope the bag will be in your hands in no-time.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crazyMRer
I'm curious, why didn't you fly SAA nonstop JNB-ACC?
SAA flight leaves too early from JNB (~1700 hrs) and I had a dinner meeting so it was either catch KQ at 0040hrs or wait another day.

Plus, I'm a Skyteam Elite Plus and Star Alliance nothing.

Originally Posted by crazyMRer
Is the reason KQ isn't taking bags cargo related do you think? What aircraft are they using now NBO-ACC?
738 is payload restricted this time of year. They have the same issue every December (Harmattan season), but in past years the 73G had better legs. This year is the first that the 738 is being used on all flights and it is a major problem for them.

Originally Posted by 31dany
Hope the bag will be in your hands in no-time.
Just got a call that ONE of the bags (no mention if it is the one with the meat!) should arrive on today's flight. I have to drive down to the airport myself later this evening to go find it and clear customs though - they are not willing to clear/deliver any bags due to the volume of customers.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue (Patinum), BA executive (Gold), M&M (senator), Emirates Skywards (nobody)
It's a bit hard to understand how things can go so hayway. The same happened on a nbo-harare flight two days ago. My family checked in 6 bags, not one arrived.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: FB, MM, QM, ES, KF & LP / HH, HGP & SPG
Just got a call that ONE of the bags (no mention if it is the one with the meat!) should arrive on today's flight. I have to drive down to the airport myself later this evening to go find it and clear customs though - they are not willing to clear/deliver any bags due to the volume of customers.
Great to hear^... Keep us updated.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:20 pm

738 is payload restricted this time of year. They have the same issue every December (Harmattan season), but in past years the 73G had better legs. This year is the first that the 738 is being used on all flights and it is a major problem for them.
738 now

I flew that route on KQ some years ago when it was still a 767

Best wishes that the first bag is the meat bag!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Happy joy! Meat has now arrived and promptly consigned to (outside) trash can. Second bag has also arrived on what looks like an Emirates or Ethiopian flight this morning (cant tell if it says EK or ET on the badly smudged rush tag) together with a bunch of other pending "Priority" tagged bags.

Now I shall dig up the receipts and send in the claim for the spoiled meat!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:13 am
Suspended

Good Service

In similar circumstances in the past with other airlines, I have been able to get the bags rerouted elsewhere for family/friends to take delivery and then either hold/courier contents to me. I have tried to ask KQ to do this but they flat out refuse and tell me that I must wait my turn for delivery to Ghana, even if it takes a month or more (and even if I will not be in Ghana when it arrives). Hardly the "Priority Baggage Handling" benefit that they promise for Elite Plus members!

Why did you think this woild not happen?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Dear B747-437B,

RE: EXPERIENCE WITH KENYA AIRWAYS

We thank you for taking the time to write to us.

We regret the inconvenience caused due to the delayed delivery of your baggage. We appreciate receiving feedback from our customers as it gives us an opportunity to look into the areas of our service where we fall short and ensure that we are meeting our customers’ needs. We would like to assure of our continued commitment to delivering customer service that is worthy of our claim to being the Pride of Africa. However your experience is not characteristic of the service we take pride in as an airline. We assure you that we are continuously learning from the feedback given by our loyal customers like you, and it will help us improve our services going forward. On behalf of the management, we would like to offer you 5000 award miles as a gesture of apology. This represents our full and final settlement in this matter and comes with the assurance that we are doing our best to serve you better in the future.

We reiterate our value for our loyal customers such as yourself and would not take it for granted. Your relationship with us is incalculable and we hold it in such high esteem because without you, we would not be.

Our airline places a high priority on maintaining standards, both of service and courtesy, and we do trust that your future contacts with our airline will reassure you of this.

Sincerely,
XYZ
Customer Relations Executive
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Kenya Airways
5000 award miles as a gesture of apology. This represents our full and final settlement in this matter and comes with the assurance that we are doing our best to serve you better in the future.
Sad if they think that 5,000 award miles compare well to the problem they caused....

I'm glad/fortunate that US airlines tend to be much more gengerous in miles compensation if/when things go quite wrong.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
If I understand correctly, your luggage were delivered within a couple of days. 5000 miles is not huge, but seems reasonable for a baggage delay of 3 days or so.
Carrying fresh meat in a checked luggage is clearly a risk. Many airlines do not allow it and I do not know for KQ. But luggage delays happen frequently and I am not convinced that an airline should compensate you for carrying perishables in the hold unless it has been properly declared and insured.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
I am not convinced that an airline should compensate you for carrying perishables in the hold unless it has been properly declared and insured.
FWIW, as noted in my first post, the meat was appropriately declared, packaged in insulation for transportation and the containing bag labelled externally as containing perishables.

There is no question as to whether liability exists here. It does. To their credit, KQ are not disclaiming liability either. We have simply agreed to settle on 5000 miles in lieu of a lengthy Montreal/Warsaw claim. The situation could however have been avoided if the priority and fragile/perishable tags had been properly read. There is never need for compensation if the contracted service is delivered in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.