Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Soft Landing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2011, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Soft Landing?

My flying patterns have changed this year and I only have 9 sectors to my name (Should be 12 - thanks Alitalia and AF City Jet )

Anyway, not going to hit either Silver or Gold thresholds this year.

Soft landing? Or straight to peasant?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 4:58 am

Programs: FB Plat, Bonvoy Gold
AFAIK you can only drop one level, so soft landing to Silver in this case
Old Oct 22, 2011, 5:55 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
You need to have made at least one qualifying flight / earned elite miles to drop one level. So you are fine.

Gajan
Old Oct 25, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: BA; LH; AF
a related question

Hi, apologies for intruding, I don't post very often.
I currently have FB Plat (based in Spain) and with my last flight I reached 69350 miles for the year so far. The flights I had in mind for the rest of the year were not on Skyteam. If I can't change something to get the last 650 miles, is it possible that FB would allow me to re-qualify anyway (this will be my 6th year as plat), or will they drop me to Gold. If they won't "give" me the extra 650 miles to re-qualify, is there a non-flying way that I could earn them?
Thanks,
RP
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:44 am
ixs

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by RichP
I currently have FB Plat (based in Spain) and with my last flight I reached 69350 miles for the year so far. The flights I had in mind for the rest of the year were not on Skyteam. If I can't change something to get the last 650 miles, is it possible that FB would allow me to re-qualify anyway (this will be my 6th year as plat), or will they drop me to Gold. If they won't "give" me the extra 650 miles to re-qualify, is there a non-flying way that I could earn them?
Short answer:
No, they will not allow you to requalify 650 miles short.
Yes, you will drop down to Gold.
No, there's not a non-flying way to earn the 650 miles.

Long answer:
They might invite you for Platinum but I wouldn't bet on it. There have been no announcements of lower thresholds been made this year. Unlike 2010.
The non-flying way how you could get 650 status miles would be the French AMEX credit card. Unfortunately for you, this card has basically been phased out and it's unlikely that you could apply for it in the three weeks it should still be available.

If you are interested in Platinum for the next year (which I would definitely be in your case due to Platinum For Live being a possibility) go on a milage run. Fly four cheap segments on Air Europe and you are good.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:11 am

Thanks for the reply, and sorry to take so long to get back to you.
Looks like I will have to find a skyteam flight that can get me some miles before year end. I guess no one said trying to keep nice shiny plastic in your wallet was easy!

Best -
R
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Exclamation

Thanks for the reply, and sorry to take so long to get back to you.
Looks like I will have to find a skyteam flight that can get me some miles before year end. I guess no one said trying to keep nice shiny plastic in your wallet was easy!

Best -
R
Be sure that your flight earns miles!!!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:05 am

Oh yes, I've made that mistake before!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Is this true about soft landings? I fear they have gone.

Originally Posted by Gajan
You need to have made at least one qualifying flight / earned elite miles to drop one level. So you are fine.

Gajan
All over the web it says they have gone eg http://generalcurtis.com/2011/03/02/...soft-landings/

and to quote the key line:

Due to Delta’s MQM and MQS rollover, there are no longer any “soft landings.” Meaning, if you were Platinum Medallion and did not fly enough to qualify for GM or SM, you will be dropped to your earned level. For some, that means a drop to no status. In previous years, you could only drop a single level, so from Platinum to Gold or from Gold to Silver.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:05 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
All over the web it says they have gone eg http://generalcurtis.com/2011/03/02/...soft-landings/

and to quote the key line:

Due to Delta’s MQM and MQS rollover, there are no longer any “soft landings.” Meaning, if you were Platinum Medallion and did not fly enough to qualify for GM or SM, you will be dropped to your earned level. For some, that means a drop to no status. In previous years, you could only drop a single level, so from Platinum to Gold or from Gold to Silver.
The rules for Delta's programme Skymiles are very different than the rules of the Flying Blue programme.
So to answer your question in Flying Blue there the soft landing option still exists.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Thanks - sorry I thought I was in DL program thread

Originally Posted by Gajan
The rules for Delta's programme Skymiles are very different than the rules of the Flying Blue programme.
So to answer your question in Flying Blue there the soft landing option still exists.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 1:34 pm

I made it!

Well, it was cutting it fine, but I managed to sneak in a couple of extra flights last week and managed to requalify as FB Plat, so into my 7th year I go.
Not a bad year, I guess, in all 77 sectors, 152,709 miles flown, 16 airlines, managed to keep FB plat, BA gold, LH senator.

Merry christmas to you all.
Rich P
Old Dec 18, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Well, it was cutting it fine, but I managed to sneak in a couple of extra flights last week and managed to requalify as FB Plat, so into my 7th year I go.
Not a bad year, I guess, in all 77 sectors, 152,709 miles flown, 16 airlines, managed to keep FB plat, BA gold, LH senator.

Merry christmas to you all.
Rich P
77 sectors on AFKL or total?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:02 pm

77 total, 18 on AFKL, 1 on DL, 1 on AeroMexico.
Flightmemory keeps track of these things for me: AF: 16; LX: 12; BA: 12; IB: 9; CM: 8 ; TA: 6; AA: 3; KL: 2; BD: 2; AM: 1; DL: 1; BW: 1; EZ: 1; KM: 1; LA: 1; SK: 1
Old Feb 13, 2012, 3:24 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this seemed like a better place than any to ask.

I've read the posts above and I'm a FB Plat at the moment, but I have next to no chance of making any of the threshholds (let alone FB Plat again). My flying patterns have meant I have 0 sectors to my name at the moment, which means, if I get this correctly, I continue like this for the rest of the year, I will have a hard drop to Ivory.

For the single qualifying flight I need to ensure a soft drop to Gold, does it need to be on AF/KL? Or can it be any SkyTeam flight so long as it earns some FB miles?

From the thread, it seems that the cheapest way to get some sectors is on Air Europa......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.