Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Soft Landing?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by anat0l
From the thread, it seems that the cheapest way to get some sectors is on Air Europa......
Just be careful, some classes, like P, don't earn any miles...
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
@anat0l:any skyteam flight earning status miles is fine.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:25 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Originally Posted by cityflyer369
@anat0l:any skyteam flight earning status miles is fine.
Unless they change the rules:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...e-members.html

Although it is not yet clear, there is a chance also the rules about soft landing are going to be changed. (At this time you are safe with 1 qualifying flight, but it's not sure if that's the same in the near future)
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:30 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Please keep all future discussions w.r.t. roll over of status miles in the appropriate thread.

Thank you,

Gajan
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:07 am

Which year does the flight have to be in order to get soft landing, status expires 3/13 took sky team flight in 2011 but all on star alliance this year. Although I usually fly star I will book a flight to maintain status if needed.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
Which year does the flight have to be in order to get soft landing

In Flying Blue, "years" run concurrently with the calendar.

The flight has to be taken in the year that you will fail to regain status. If you want a soft landing next year (2013), the flight has to be taken this year (2012). It also has to be a level-mile earning flight. Not all Skyteam flights will do.

Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
status expires 3/13 took sky team flight in 2011 but all on star alliance this year. Although I usually fly star I will book a flight to maintain status if needed.
Status never expires in March. Status always expires at the end of the calendar year. If, on December 31 of any year, you have not reached the threshold to maintain your status, your status will be downgraded, effective January 1 of the next year (even though you can still claim benefits of your old status, using your card, which still has 3 months validity to run).

The cards issued by Flying Blue always expire in March - you get an extra three months to enjoy any benefits conferred by the card, even if your status no longer merits these benefits. This extra time allows them to check everyone's account, see if they requalified or not, and then correctly figure out what type of card to send out to everybody for the next year. Your requalification deadline is always 31 December, though - it is never March of the following year.

If, on 31 December 2012, you have not taken one level-mileage earning flight during calendar year 2012, you will not qualify for a soft landing, and your status will drop all the way down to Ivory - unless you hold Platinum currently and currently have a level miles rollover balance of at least 30,000 miles. If your rollover balance falls between 30k and 60k, that's good enough to get you Silver in 2013. If your current level miles rollover balance is between 60k and 90k, you are good for Gold next year, and if by any chance you had a rollover balance of over 90,000, you will still have Platinum next year.

However, as your profile says you are Flying Blue gold, the new scenario above (retaining status due to "excess" or rollover miles) does not apply. (Mathematically, such scenarios are possible only for Platinum members. As the gap between thresholds is a consistent 30k, the only people who could end a calendar year with a rollover balance of more than 30k are, by definition, already platinum).

If your last SkyTeam flight was in 2011, you are not in line for a soft landing for 2013.

Remember, also, that your entire award mileage balance will expire at the end of the 20th month after your last mileage earning flight. As your last SkyTeam flight was in 2011, your miles are on schedule to expire some time in 2013. If you take a flight in 2012 to activate your soft landing for next year, this will also have the effect of extending the lifetime of your miles.

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 7, 2012 at 8:37 am
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
So... does Elite status expire in January/March/XXXXX? I'm confused.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
So... does Elite status expire in January/March/XXXXX? I'm confused.
From the KLM website

Originally Posted by KLM
Annual level check

On 31 December, your Level Miles/Qualifying flights balance from the previous 12 months is checked. To keep your membership level, you need to have at least the minimum number of Level Miles or have made the necessary number of qualifying flights shown on the chart below. If this is not the case, your membership level will be downgraded. On 1 January of each year, this balance is reset to zero.

If you are an Elite member, however, every Level Mile you have earned above the minimum number of Miles required to maintain your current level will be carried over to the next year, so you will start the year with a positive account.* This means it is easier for you to maintain your current level or even be upgraded!

* You must have made at least one Qualifying flight during the year.
Technically, your status expires on 1 January.

Of course, they can't instantly get a new card out to you in time for 1 January when they only decide on your level on 31 December.

So the cards issued are valid up to March. During these 3 months, you can still claim whatever benefits are conferred by the card, despite not actually holding that status any more. This should cover things like lounge access, etc, but other things that depend more on your status being in the system (I'm loth to mention examples, but I'm sure you can think of many) probably won't be extended to you.

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 7, 2012 at 8:50 am
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Status never expires in March. Status always expires at the end of the calendar year.
I beg to differ. Your FB account clearly shows you as holding status until March 31st.

Yes, your qualification period is the calendar year, but the benefits last until March 31st of the next year.

unless you hold Platinum currently and currently have a level miles rollover balance of at least 30,000 miles.[/b] If your rollover balance falls between 30k and 60k, that's good enough to get you Silver in 2013. If your current level miles rollover balance is between 60k and 90k, you are good for Gold next year,
For clarity, I assume you talk about the OP's potential rollover from 2011. This would not just apply to Platinum. A (non-French resident) Gold member who had 65K EQM in 2011 would have rolled over 25K to 2012, granting them Silver for 2013.

But I would guess that the OP would not be asking about soft landing if they had massive rollover.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer

For clarity, I assume you talk about the OP's potential rollover from 2011.
Yes. It's a requirement that you post a level-mileage flight in the current year to have a rollover applied to the following. As the OP was considering not taking such a flight this year, there could not be any rollover into 2013. If the OP was going to be able to roll miles over into 2013, we wouldn't be debating the soft landing, either, as it would be guaranteed.

This would not just apply to Platinum. A (non-French resident) Gold member who had 65K EQM in 2011 would have rolled over 25K to 2012, granting them Silver for 2013.

But I would guess that the OP would not be asking about soft landing if they had massive rollover.
True, the maths gets more interesting using the non-French thresholds. But the principle is the same.

I realise the OP doesn't probably doesn't have a massive rollover - but I was trying to flesh out the new possibilities that now exist under the new system. However, I did a poor job of it (neglecting to set out the requirements in the case of the Platinum flyer from outside of France with a massive rollover but who will take no mileage-earning flights in 2012 - let alone his/her Gold counterpart!) but I will leave that for another day
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I beg to differ. Your FB account clearly shows you as holding status until March 31st.
I've just logged into my Flying Blue account via both KLM and Air France. I can see no indication as to the date of expiry of status (The "mileage summary" only shows me two dates - the date I attained my present status, and the date of the last transaction).

Can you tell me where to find this? Thanks.

Never (yet) having dropped in status in Flying Blue, I can't verify, but it was always my expectation that, if you were to be downgraded, this would show up in your account from January, rather than waiting until after the expiry of the old card in March. (I will undoubtedly be able to test this theory for myself in January 2013, though).
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:30 am

Hi,

I've just logged into my Flying Blue account via both KLM and Air France. I can see no indication as to the date of expiry of status (The "mileage summary" only shows me two dates - the date I attained my present status, and the date of the last transaction).

Can you tell me where to find this? Thanks.

Never (yet) having dropped in status in Flying Blue, I can't verify, but it was always my expectation that, if you were to be downgraded, this would show up in your account from January, rather than waiting until after the expiry of the old card in March. (I will undoubtedly be able to test this theory for myself in January 2013, though).
As per the Flying FAQ on the KLM website:

Until when is my current Elite card valid?
All Elite cards are valid up until the end of March, including all of the benefits associated with the level.
If you are downgraded at the annual level check, your new membership level will be effective as of 1st of April the following year. You will receive your new Flying Blue card before this date.
Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still wonder, though, whether anything that requires your status to be set in the system - booking Economy Comfort seats for free/less, having your "correct" status printed on boarding pass, etc - will reflect the new status from 1 January, rather than waiting until 1 April.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:47 am

I still wonder, though, whether anything that requires your status to be set in the system - booking Economy Comfort seats for free/less, having your "correct" status printed on boarding pass, etc - will reflect the new status from 1 January, rather than waiting until 1 April.
Nope, it will happily continue to use your expiring status (as I noticed this year going from Platinum to Gold)

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to know as I will soon be following in your footsteps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.